Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Re: lesson learned at chehalis nov.03  (Read 20109 times)

wading2fish

Re: lesson learned at chehalis nov.03
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2005, 02:21:55 PM »

My only concern w/ a big hook is hurting incidentally caught small trout & char in certain river sysyems.  For example, I've felt like crap when fishing for coho using a #5 Vibrax, which works like a hot damn, & a 5" trout gets impaled on it :'( 

wading2fish

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2005, 02:22:47 PM »

I meant "systems" ;D

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2005, 02:30:32 PM »

For me all I can say is.... What are you guys complaining about !?! At least your hooking onto coho!?!
For me it's still fat 0. ;D ;D ;D
I know what you mean people are so spoiled arguing about what hooks are better for slaying them coho! be happy you guys getting coho i would kill for some coho action. Dont take this wrong if been fishing all the right water with people who catch coho and i just dont get them bad luck or something. :P
[

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2005, 05:30:36 PM »

use a #16 Mustad Lazer sharp with a single egg.....best fish on this hook....34 lb chinook on 4 lb test....u must "play" the fish a tad.....horsin' is not gonna land many fish.....of course those who prefer 2/0 hooks will have a prob with this....oh well..;)))

mojo
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2005, 06:40:36 PM »

As for the people that slag Gami hooks.."they aren't worth the money, they're a rip off..etc..."

Take it from me, as someone that has spent tens of thousands of hours fishing professionally and for sport in the OCEAN which makes any salmon in the river look like a carcass, I can tell you that you have a HARD time getting any other hook as sharp as a Gami, and Gami's stay sharp a long long time, result in more hook ups, and they are STRONG hooks. I have cut plugged with 3/0 to 6/0 hooks, and use Gami's exclusively with my bait rigs when I take the time to tie up my rigs for my personal use. I have NEVER seen a straightened SILVER GAMI on a fish that was being played in a SPORTING manner. Angling is NOT a tug of war.

I feel compelled to defend Gami products because they perform as they should with a responsible and SPORTING angler.

By the way, if you spend $100's on waders, rods, reels etc..or in the case of me, $1000's on rods, downriggers, you shoudn't be complaining about paying premium price for a premium product if you know how to recognize value and understand that you get what you pay for.

Enough said.
"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

CohoOn!

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2005, 07:42:46 PM »

"Enough said"?
Is that to say that once you've given your 2 cents worth there is no need to hear from anyone else?
You're a funny guy.
Maybe you should check your seemingly arrogant "salt chuck" attitude at the door.
Long May Yer Big Jib Draw!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2005, 07:53:58 PM »

i dont care what people say about hooks...

Bifchan you think your cool with that picture looks like a little vanilla ice, you know what i dont care what you say.... 

hey mojo i have no problem with what you use , actually i dont really care

You can say that again... lol... ;D

::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2005, 07:56:22 PM »

FF, I think you've missed the point that CohoOn! was trying to make.

ocean_going

• fish on
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2005, 08:21:10 PM »

Use anything you want as long as the regs permit it . It is all personal preference . I allways over rig there is nothing worse than losing that trophy to your hook straightening or your line breaking trust me i know .
  Hey,   I think it's all  a matter of pride,  not overkill , huge hooks, whatever, and gammys are over priced, they are sweet hooks but  Vision are almost as good.  I like #4 hooks.  I feel funny  fishing next to people using  monster hooks, almost feel like Laughing at them, but keep it to myself,   just look at my fishing  Partner, and   Smile

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2005, 08:43:56 PM »

"Enough said"?
Is that to say that once you've given your 2 cents worth there is no need to hear from anyone else?
You're a funny guy.
Maybe you should check your seemingly arrogant "salt chuck" attitude at the door.
You know what, I am going to have to agree with the freak on that one.  CohoOn, there is no need for that, Magician is a real fisherman.  He will get my backing.  He has his opinion as you do yours.  Don't start calling people down in here or you will hear from a lot of people.  In addition, you won't look that swift in the process!!!!!! ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

mark

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2005, 08:44:37 PM »

FishFreak you snap at any little detail anyone says I think you need to control your temper. It is unnecessary to get so uptight, if people say things you don't like then fine just ignore them and forget it man, life is to short to be a sour puss. Its just a forum. If someone says something I don't like then I will tell them but not with a hotty attitude. Once is enough, the more you keep it up the more dumber you look and no one will have any respect for you so please dude cool down a notch. ;)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 08:46:34 PM by mark »

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2005, 08:47:38 PM »

FF, I think you've missed the point that CohoOn! was trying to make.
"Enough said"?
You're a funny guy.
Rodney, isn't that how the magician signs off on all his post.   I think that all he means is that HE has said enough for the time being!!!!!!

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2005, 08:51:02 PM »

cohoon pretty ignorant of you to sign on here jump into a conversation and bitch someone out, he is stating that he has never had a problem with gammy's so maybe i should chuck you out the door ENOUGH SAID !!!!!!! ENOUGH SAID !!!!!!!! ENOUGH SAID !!!!!!!! ENOUGH SAID !!!!!!!!!!! ENOUGH SAID !!!!!!!! if you don't like the ENOUGH SAID ! here it is again 
ENOUGH SAID !!!!, what hooks do you use COHO ON  used rusted out bent ones found on the edge of the river ???

hey! those rusted hooks save you money =P

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2005, 08:56:49 PM »

That is why I like ya little buddy!!!!!  You always find the silverlining!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

hey! those rusted hooks save you money =P
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 08:58:46 PM by Big Steel »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2005, 09:02:57 PM »

Fishin Magician knows his stuff. If anything you should read what he says and learn. Allot of you younger anglers need to listen to those that have fished for many years and appreciate that they give you good advice.

Again " Have a nice day!!" - Mick Foley

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family