Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Chum?  (Read 26835 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Fraser Chum?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2005, 06:29:05 PM »

This would be doable from shore? If so I'll give it a go when time permits. ;)

<gasps!> treble hook! ;)

pontooner

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2005, 06:49:24 PM »

try the surrey dock or any other with the kwikfish

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2005, 06:53:43 PM »

Ya but with such little weight on these things how do you cast them?

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2005, 07:30:21 PM »

I was thinking of trying these this year.  I was going to just put some pencil lead a few feet up the line and cast and retrieve it like a spoon. I usually use them trolling for trout but never the retrieve.
weeeeeeeeeow!

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2005, 09:54:00 PM »

Anyone have an idea what size kwikfish those are in the pics?

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2005, 10:43:23 PM »

You just need "Some" current.  I used to fish them in the tidal Columbia all the time, I can't see them not working in the tidal Fraser.  Plus it'll let you save your egg supply for more tableworthy fish. 

The top lure is how you'd want to rig it for the fraser.  You don't need a lot of wobble to catch fish, just make sure you've got a rattle kwikfish.  load it up with smelly jelly on the underside and let it work it's Chum/Chinook catching magic.

Hmmm....... ;)

Ramstrong

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2005, 09:03:53 PM »

Please forgive my poor drawing skills.  But I've done my best on illustrating this procedure.  You'll need a bar weight, swivel, large bead/lil corkie, two duo locks and a kwikfish.  When plunking kwikfish, I like using a #40 main line, #20 Lead dropper and #30 leader.  My leaders are normally 4-5' and you can experiment with the dropper to get you in the travelling lane.  You start by sliding the bead up your line and tying it off to the swivel.  Then you can add your dropper and weight.

Cast this out and make sure it anchors itself in the river bed.  Then you can tie a leader with two duo locks on each end.  Snap the kwikfish on one end and tune it.

Then clip the other duo lock on your main line and make sure you snap the duo lock!  Don't ask me how I know this ;)  you drop the kwikfish in the water and the plug will ride itself down to the bottom of the belly in your line.  The bead is to kee from losing the rig, and protecting the knot when fighting a fish or reeling in.

I hope you follow the thought process here.  If not, feel free to ask any questions.  Make sure to tune your plug and Chums will destroy it.  The sizes normally used for salmon fishing are K-13 - K-16.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 12:08:48 AM by Rodney »

No_way

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2005, 09:15:37 PM »

Wow!  You needn't apologies for your drawing skills.

But the one thing I don't understand is that all of the Chums I've ever caught in the Frazer have been gross and spawned out.  How late in the season can you catch good chums, and how low in the river do you need to be?

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2005, 10:42:59 PM »

Well I was at Patello last weekend and saw many chrome chums headed up river!!!!!  So I was just a bit ticked at myself that I didn't have my spinning pole with me.   Does that help you at all.  Also I think that you migh have a couple of weeks left????  Could be wrong on that one though.  I don't fish for them that much!!!  But if you want some fresh chum you might want to take a drive up to the Squamish for them.  How are the chums up on the Squamish Rodney???? ;D ;D would you like to show us again????? ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2005, 10:45:12 PM »

Nice illustrations Ramstrong, the setup is what I thought it would be. That would work great on the boat in the tidal Fraser, and a couple of shore spots around here (No. 3 road pier would be an ideal place to do it if anyone wants to go try). Most of the shore spots in tidal Fraser where I fish lack the current to create a good action on those.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2005, 12:06:34 AM »

wow, great illustrating, i may have to go give this a try.
weeeeeeeeeow!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2005, 12:19:13 AM »

also, what do you mean by "tune it" if you don't mind me asking.Thanks
weeeeeeeeeow!

Ramstrong

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2005, 12:11:14 PM »

On the Columbia we would look to inside bends of the river.  The current picks up, and it concentrates the fish.  We fish kwikfish all the way down to where there's salt influence on the river at Tounge Point.  Like I said earlier, all you need is some outgoing current to make these lures work.

Tuning makes a lure swim straight.
The K 14-16 plugs have an eye that's screwed into the plastic.  Take the plug and rip it through the water as fast as you can to make sure it's running straight.  If it isn't, you use a pair of pliers to move the hook eye in the opposite direction the plug is pulling in the water to make sure it is running true.

Two other tips I've forgotten to mention is to not set the hook on the fish until line is peeling off of your reel.  What they do is swim up and rag doll the lure by shaking their head.  If you set when they're rag dolling it, you stand a good chance of pulling the hook free.  After a bit of rag dolling, they turn down stream and swim away with the lure,  this is when you want to set the hook.   Also if you want to add more scent to the lure, you can add a piece of adhesive backed velcro to the bottom of the lure.  This is a good spot to add scent.

redlad

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2005, 05:36:27 PM »

Sonds like Ramstrong has fished kwik/flatfish alot.  We used to use this exact same method on the Thompson 25 -30 years (I was wee ;)), for trout.  Worked awesome!  I will have to try it.  I bet it would be deadly in the Stave!  just for fun.

How long do the Chum run strong in the Stave anyway?  I have holidays in 2 weeks.  It must be worth a try then?????