Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oct 8th...short floating roe sacks  (Read 8029 times)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Re: Oct 8th...short floating roe sacks
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2005, 11:34:49 AM »

We should change the site name to "lynch mob with Rod"
Actions speak louder than words.

buck

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2005, 11:36:22 AM »

I'm not sure what river your fishing, but if it's the Vedder it's not uncommon to see stray summer run steelhead from the Coquihalla.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2005, 11:39:44 AM »

Good one biff...like I said, i didnt state a lot of details so I didnt "freak" out when everyone started questioning me...fair due infact, they just didnt understand!

Anyone comes after me now tho and I may have a few colorful things to say at this point!  ;)

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2005, 11:43:56 AM »

I thought a daily limit applied to the total fish caught that day, not on that body of water.  If you cheat and mark your punch card for the previous day and then mark it correctly for the present day when you catch your next fish, it would appear that you have your retention limit.  Retention limits are not intended to fill in one day, they're in place for people who travel somewhere and fish on consecutive days and then have to transport fish home. 

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2005, 12:04:02 PM »

Hey Gooey - I did mention in my last post that I thought you could fish a different river after retaining a steelhead.  Interesting point about retaining another steelhead from a different river on the same day.  You might be right!  I always assumed the daily quota was one.  What I do know is that you can only retain 10 hatchery steelhead per year (which are recorded).

BTW - please understand that my post wasn't intended to offend you...

Also - thanks for posting the photo!   :)

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2005, 03:55:05 PM »

No Problem FFM, like I said my original post lacked some specific details that made things seem a little sketchy.

Bentrod, indeed mismarking your liscence is an offence comparable to snagging or retaining a marked fish...wouldn't recommend anyone try that to sneak 2 limits into one trip.  But there is nuthing illegal about take 2 steelhead from 2 differnet rivers on the same day - still under your retention/travel limit!

winter steel

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2005, 04:30:21 PM »

You can kill two hatchery steelhead on a select few systems in British Columbia, the Stamp River is an example of one.  I'm sure Gooey knows his regulations and would not do anything illegal. Tight lines.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2005, 04:54:34 PM »

NICE fish. in coho season gotta love that ;D

Liptugger

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2005, 07:32:18 PM »

People, don't confuse the regs. They are clear, 1 hatchery Stealhead per day, Region 2.
That is a region specific reg, not river specific. Don't let excitement or greed get you into trouble.

Addicted To Steel

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2005, 08:02:38 PM »

Liptugger;

The daily catch quota for Steelhead in Region 2 is 2, not one. The stream,slough,creek, or river will have it's own Regs.Most rivers for example are one steelhead/day, but as previously posted, you can go to another river and retain another hatchery Steelhead in Region 2
Another example is the Stave River. The catch quota there is two steelhead per day.
Here is the link to the information in question.

http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/pdf/region_2.pdf

You may be confusing the daily catch quota for trout is 2, but only one can be over 50cm.

The Steelhead is a separate species all on it's own.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2005, 08:50:14 PM »

I worked it in and noticed that it was clipped doe so in she came.  My first steelhead on the tag this year!

After that I hit another coho and a chrome jack spring.
Gooey:

may I remind you of your fishing story, which I have included a copy.  It is not HATE.  It is the fact that you did not clearify yourself, until now.  Let me remind you that there are a lot of minors who read this forum.  You are putting in your story so that it will educate and inform the young ones.  They should not have to read things like this.  Please watch what you type in.  I have nothing against you.  I don't think anyone really needs to know your location.  only you know what you have done and you have to live with your own quilt.  I would not  let my kids read this and I don't think that they should be exposed to it either.  So please clarify yourself in the future instead of trying to bail yourself out after the fact with more stories.  There is not hate here.  We are all mature people who loves to fish and gets a really kick out of each other's stories.  We try to inform each other and share some information.  There are so many fishes out there that there are plenty for everyone.  So don't worry be happy.  HAPPY THANKSGIVING AND HAPPY FISHING.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2005, 08:59:10 PM »

great to know, thanks gooey. 

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2005, 11:07:53 PM »

Hmmm.  Sorry to carry on this debate - as it's not really related to the original topic.  But as I read the Lower Mainland Regional Regulations - it says 2 hatchery steelhead allowed - in brackets, under Regional Daily Catch Quotas.  Also - the regulation also specifically states that When you have caught and retained your daily quota of hatchery steelhead from any water, you must stop fishing that water for the remainder of the day.  If you look under the specific water - i.e. Chillwack River, it states that the hatchery steelhead daily quota is 1.  This is also true for the Chehalis.  But the Stave River isn't listed (I couldn't find it in the Table).  So does that mean that for the Stave - the general quota of 2 hatchery steelhead applies?  The above also implies that you can indeed retain a hatchery steelhead from one river - then go to another river and retain another.  This would make the possession limit equal 4 fish!  Interesting.

BTW - I've never retained a hatchery steelhead - and yes, I have caught them on the fly.  I'm not really interested in retaining steelhead - so I guess I've never really paid attention to the retention issue.  I always figured it was one per day.  Hey - we may have just learned something new!  Isn't that the purpose of a forum such as this?   ;)

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2005, 10:59:53 AM »

Your posting is 100% accurate FFM. 

Not that I advertise this fact but yes some rivers have a bag limit of 2 and with a daily limit of 2 in region 2 if you were on an overnighter AND dependant on the river, you could legally retain FOUR steelhead from a 2 day fishing trip (thats a little excessive in my books tho)!

So Big T...are you OK now...from your last post it seemd like you still had some issues even tho things were clear to everyone else. 
You are putting in your story so that it will educate and inform the young ones.  They should not have to read things like this.  Please watch what you type in
. (HUH?!?!)
I have nothing against you...only you know what you have done and you have to live with your own quilt. ( I HAVE NONE!!!)  I would not  let my kids read this and I don't think that they should be exposed to it either.  So please clarify yourself in the future instead of trying to bail yourself out after the fact with more stories .
  Whats up with that !  :-\

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2005, 03:19:41 PM »

Hey, what's up Gooey:
Don't worry, be happy.  I thought we were finished with this subject.  There are plenty of other fishing stories on this forum that I rather take the time to read them then to send replies back and forth on a one sided story.  I have better things to do like heading out to the river.