Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River October 4th  (Read 10961 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: Chilliwack River October 4th
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2005, 06:27:59 AM »

you were saying "roe bag". Did you buy it or you make it yourself? Is it specifically target on coho?

Hi Frank, these are roe bags.

You can either use a chunk of roe, or single eggs, tied into a bag by using a mesh. All the material are available at any tackle store, just ask the staff.

how do you attach the roe bag to the hook?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2005, 07:59:26 AM »

You can do it a couple ways. Using an egg loop or just thread it through close to the knot.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2005, 08:10:58 AM »

Here's one for you experienced drift fishers!  I prefer to use Gamis.  These come in red, black, and silver (nickel).  What's your favorite colour choice for these hooks?  I see Rod likes the red ones  ;).

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2005, 09:10:20 AM »

Here's one for you experienced drift fishers!  I prefer to use Gamis.  These come in red, black, and silver (nickel).  What's your favorite colour choice for these hooks?  I see Rod likes the red ones  ;).
I have found the colour of hook really does not matter. Maybe it is because the roe and wool combination I use covers most of it up.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2005, 10:07:54 AM »

Dennis, I thread the roe bags through the hook just below where the sac is wrapped with the thread.I will then secure it by lopping it once with the egg loop.

FlyFishin Magician, the colour of Gammy hooks came with in a discussion earlier this year while I was fishing. For coho, it doesn't seem to matter, but for some reason my friends and I have found that black Gammies catch more steelhead than red Gammies.

Those are not Gammy hooks by the way, they are Daiichi. ;)

FishingAddict

« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2005, 01:59:40 PM »

Hello Rodney:

Thank you for your roe bag infor. And I have one more question about the leader. I have 12 lb of fishing line and how many lb. of leader do I need and how long should it be? Some people said 8 lb. will do some people said higher.... what is your suggestion?

Thanks

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2005, 04:15:15 PM »

i just thread it through the knot in the sac, then put in thorugh a bait loop knot. works much better than just threading it through ;)

James

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2005, 05:13:21 PM »

my thoughts on leader # test , is that you should use the lightest possible , especially when water is clear . With good knots , proper drag settings , and a skilled fisherman you can land a fairly larger fish than you may think on a light 6-8lb leader . it makes it more fun too , since it is more of a skill thing . Rather than just towing a fish out with a 20lb+ leader . But if you are targeting big springs in fast water than yes use a heavier leader 12-15lb maybe . but I may be wrong . each choice has it's ups and downs . a lighter leader can lead to more lost fish , and lost gear . but a heavy leader may result in less fish , but never loosing gear . I personally use a 6 or 8lb leader when targeting coho . but if i feel that i wanna have some fun with a few springs I switch to a 12lb leader . on 15lb main always . and that is Maxima Ultra green line .

FishingAddict

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2005, 06:05:40 PM »

Thank you James

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2005, 06:07:19 PM »

Just wondering, how long does ONE roe bag last you guys?

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2005, 06:50:10 PM »

Thanks guys for the input on the hooks (colour).  As for roe bags - is there much of a difference between using water hardened single eggs versus procured roe?  I imagine so - but I don't really know.  Also - if you use single eggs, how many in a roe bag would be appropriate for coho?  I'm assuming that the eggs are quite large like in Rod's picture.  Those look like chinook or chum eggs to me.  Anyway - I also imagine that guys use larger hooks (size 1?) for roe?

My limited experience with the drift set-up is using different coloured wool (peach seems to work well for coho).  I primarily used hook sizes in 4 or 2.  To be honest - I like the drift set up - especially for fishing the bouldery pocket water which is virtually impossible to fish with a fly...

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2005, 07:00:30 PM »

What does Rodney mean when he said he used "procured chum roe"? What is procured roe? Iv heard there is also cured roe, whats the difference between cured and procured roe and what exactly are they?
The Bigger The Better!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2005, 07:17:40 PM »

Just wondering, how long does ONE roe bag last you guys?

Depends how you cure your eggs. Personally I like to change them when they begin losing their colour.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2005, 07:20:27 PM »

What does Rodney mean when he said he used "procured chum roe"? What is procured roe? Iv heard there is also cured roe, whats the difference between cured and procured roe and what exactly are they?

Procured chum roe is just chum roe cured with Pro Cure. There are many ways of curing roe eg. borax, borax and jello, salt, etc.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2005, 07:46:31 PM »

What exactly is curing roe? Is it Making it tougher so it stays on the hook better?
The Bigger The Better!