Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River October 4th  (Read 10395 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Chilliwack River October 4th
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2005, 06:37:14 PM »

Roe, wool... Maybe I'll leave that unanswered. ;) A good mystery is worth staying up late for. ;D
Come on now i understand not telling people where you fish, but what you caught it on thats just immature. :P

Actually I think its good he doesnt say. It will make you learn and use different techniques. Plus you will feel better once you land a fish on something that you thought of instead of something someone told you.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2005, 07:01:47 PM »

Having a sense of humour is immature? :o Oh wait, people should learn on their own? Someone needs to stop being indecisive lol...

Members of this forum should know by now that I would pretty much spill out everything except where exactly I am fishing whenever I post a report. ::)

The coho was caught on last year's procured chum roe, one of the best batches I've done. So far that batch has pulled out four coho and two chinook salmon.

The chinook jack was caught on a roe bag tied up with this year's pink roe. The roe bag was used because of the fast current where we were fishing to prevent bait from falling off.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2005, 07:22:08 PM »

happy floater
weeeeeeeeeow!

gman

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2005, 07:26:32 PM »

I was out on the lower river as well. Landed a spring and a chum, and lost several other fish, including one that may have been the elusive coho I've been trying to find. Water was surprisingly clear, and the bite seemed to slow down after about 9:00am.

One thought on the discussion above about where to find coho. One thing I've found is if you have a great spot for springs and chum you are not likely to find a coho there. Some times its funny to see a guy catch spring after spring and each time he says "I think its a coho!" and it never is. You kind of have to decicide if you're targeting the elusive coho, or targeting the easier bigger fish. I think with experience you can tell what sort of water each prefer. Unfortunatetely its only my second year on the Vedder and I don't have enough experience.  Yet! ;)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 07:31:24 PM by gman »

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2005, 07:40:07 PM »

Having a sense of humour is immature? :o Oh wait, people should learn on their own? Someone needs to stop being indecisive lol...

Members of this forum should know by now that I would pretty much spill out everything except where exactly I am fishing whenever I post a report. ::)

The coho was caught on last year's procured chum roe, one of the best batches I've done. So far that batch has pulled out four coho and two chinook salmon.

The chinook jack was caught on a roe bag tied up with this year's pink roe. The roe bag was used because of the fast current where we were fishing to prevent bait from falling off.
Once again i learn something rodney i was thinking how to prevent the bait from falling off in fast current thx for comming through again.
[

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2005, 07:43:06 PM »

Part of the fun in fishing is figuring stuff out for yourself  8)
Theres only so much you can figureout by yourself without getting some type of help or ideas from others. Actually thats how you get better at what you with constructive ideas from the outside.:P
[

winter steel

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2005, 08:58:15 PM »

Rodney, congrats on the coho! As for you Floater, your absolutely right about learning so much, however there is no substitute for practice. Being on the river with an observant eye, keeping a journal, reading articles from various circles and asking questions while in the "classroom" (aka river) will teach you much. I don't think Rodney or anyone for that matter has to share the secrets they have developed over the years form their own beats. I have no problem telling someone about water conditions as nobody wants to waste their time, but to tell them everything about fishing ruins the experience and sense of accomplishment. I remember my first coho I caught on the Cap by my lonesome as a 15 year old. It will be a memory I will never forget (thanks Scott Baker-Mcgarva). Don't be afraid to come home to the wife empty handed, go and explore and enjoy every aspect of angling, not just catching the fish. Tight lines!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 09:00:44 PM by winter steel »

buck

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2005, 09:06:48 PM »

Trap sort at Hatchery today -- 1400 Coho + 100 springs.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2005, 09:13:13 PM »

but to tell them everything about fishing ruins the experience and sense of accomplishment.

That's a great point. :)

Getting into a fish by figuring it out on your own is the best.

Thanks winter steel.

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2005, 09:29:22 PM »

yes very nice fish well done .. i was gonna head out this week but i had to work
crab cakes

FishingAddict

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2005, 09:44:06 PM »

Hello Rodney:

This year is my first year fishing for salmon and I just read your last reply ... you were saying "roe bag". Did you buy it or you make it yourself? Is it specifically target on coho? Thank You
Frank Lin

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2005, 09:59:36 PM »

Bit of success for me today as well... Used the post on how to cure pink roe and have fished a couple of times over the last two weeks, but today was the only real success.  Had two pinks suck down berries which was surprising.  I switched to a single jensen egg and then caught a nice fat little jack spring of about 5 lbs.  Nice chrome fish.  Big gob of roe next cast and the float went straight under at the start of the drift.  As soon as I tightened on the fish, a very nice silvery spring of at least 15-20 jumped and tore around the pool probably putting everything remaining off the bite.  A good battle ensued, and the gear came back at me with the #2 barbless gamakatsu straightened out of shape  ::).  Oh well.... Couple of times I've had this problem over the years, but I still find them a reliable hook.

Thanks again for the roe recipe....

phatwop

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2005, 10:12:41 PM »

sweet fish rod, love those coho.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2005, 10:17:24 PM »

you were saying "roe bag". Did you buy it or you make it yourself? Is it specifically target on coho?

Hi Frank, these are roe bags.

You can either use a chunk of roe, or single eggs, tied into a bag by using a mesh. All the material are available at any tackle store, just ask the staff.

Roe bags are used to prevent the roe from falling off when fishing in parts of the river that are fairly fast. It is commonly used for coho, chinook and steelhead.

For more information on different coho fishing techniques, please visit this section.

James

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2005, 01:07:11 AM »

nice presentation . I also use those , or if you are lazy . you can use tiny bits of wool , trimmed very neat to the shape of an egg and then dab some scent on it every other cast or so . you can change up colors too  . but i have found that roe is usually the best choice  when using bait . Spoons for other apps. but roe for the veddar/chillwack .