Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River October 4th  (Read 10394 times)

Truecast

• I think I'm Snagged
Chilliwack River October 4th
« on: October 04, 2005, 12:47:01 PM »

Got off the Lickman road exit at about 06:15 , and after a quick stop at Tim Ho's I was at the river

before first light. Thought it would be quiet being a Tuesday but decided to walk down river

anyways before the sun came up. To my surprise there were five of us there before any of us got

a line in the water.

Had a couple of early strikes but nothing major. Lots of big Springs moving up but I was hoping for

a Jack or two. Within an hour the River was packed and I spent the next couple of hours fishing and

hiking around looking for a quiet spot (more hiking than fishing :().

There were dozens of guys fishing and 95% of them were snagging , some of them took their

floats off after a while >:(. I don't know if I'll ever go back up there. A weekday ,at first light I

would have expected a better class of fishermen. Maybe I'll look somewhere else next time. Any

way I'd like to here how anyone else did , I'm still waiting for my first Spring or Coho of the season.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 02:51:41 PM by Rodney »
As soon as I can afford to go fishing everyday, it's time to retire.

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
Re: Mid River Oct.04
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 01:27:27 PM »

wow that busy on a week day doesn't anyone work anymore  ;)

Floater

• Old Timer
Re: Mid River Oct.04
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 02:18:40 PM »

Did you hike down from lickman road? i was thinking of doing that this weekend.
[

James

Re: Chilliwack River October 4th
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 02:55:54 PM »

i am heading out tomorow morning , where is lickman road ? and yes i have a job , but i get odd days off .

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 03:07:07 PM »

Luke showed up at my place at 4:45am and we were ready to roll. Today was the last chance for my dad to get into some fish before he heads back to Taiwan. We arrived at Whatcom Road exit's Tim Hortons around 6am, itosh was already waiting with his double double. ;D Apparently he had been there for 20 minutes, must have thought today would be the day. ;)

Several people were already at the first spot where we decided to fish before dawn. We settled in at this lovely tailout where I thought some coho maybe holding. The first 30 minutes only saw itosh battling a pretty nice chinook salmon, which he released. Not long after, Luke quickly lost a fish seconds after hookup. A few casts later he was into a wild coho, which he released immediately after I reminded him to check the adipose fin. :P

Some fish were finning, very close to the bank, I was very sure they were coho. Not long after I told itosh that "I don't feel it...", my float took a quick dive at the end of a drift. I casually set the hook. ::) The rod started to kick a few times. This fish wasn't fighting that much, so I thought it may have been a pink salmon. Well, not a pink after all, or a spring jack, but a hatchery coho around 4lb. :)

Once the sun emerged, we decided to visit another spot where some fish may bite in the faster water. Luke and I ended up hooking a chinook jack each, which we both kept. Itosh also lost a chinook jack.

Unfortunately my dad was not so lucky again today, the float did not dive. :-\

Lovely day anyways. The rain is coming, the river may blow again.

Few things to remember
  • You need a freshwater fishing licence when fishing the Chilliwack River.
  • You need to purchase a salmon conservation stamp if you intend to keep your salmon.
  • Daily quota for pink salmon is four fish below the Vedder Crossing in Chilliwack River.
  • Daily quota for hatchery coho salmon is four fish in Chilliwack River. Hatchery coho salmon have no adipose fin.
  • Daily quota for chum salmon is one fish in Chilliwack River.
  • Daily quota for chinook salmon is four fish in Chilliwack River, but only one maybe over 62cm.
  • You may only keep four salmon (mixed species) in total per day.
  • Only a single barbless hook is allowed.
  • You must release any sockeye and wild coho carefully.
  • Pink salmon have large oval spots on their back and tail. Sockeye salmon do not have spots. Chinook salmon have tiny black spots on its back and tail. Coho salmon have tiny black spots on its back and upper tail, and white gum.
  • Please note that some sockeye salmon in the Chilliwack River also do not have an adipose fin.
  • Complete Chilliwack River salmon regulations can be found on this page.
  • Please phone DFO Chilliwack 604-702-2278 if you observe a violation.
  • Make sure you have a good fillet knife to clean your catch and a cooler with ice to keep your it fresh.
[/size]

James

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 03:13:45 PM »

nice fish , sounds like a good day , but with the rain coming for the next 4 days . I will have to wait until next week to try my luck .
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 03:15:46 PM by James »

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 03:34:45 PM »

Rodney do you ever not catch a coho when you go out? ;D
[

bruce

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 03:35:28 PM »

Hi Rodney, could you please kindly tell me where you usually fishing coho ?

Best and best regards

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 03:47:52 PM »

nice fish. im wondering if I will even get a coho this year :(

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 03:49:16 PM »

nice job rod
weeeeeeeeeow!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 03:51:53 PM »

Floater, when I fish the Vedder, I am specifically targeting coho, so most of the time if I get a fish or two, they are either coho or spring jacks.

Bruce, I fish for coho anywhere along the river really. There isn't one specific location that is good for them, as the fish are constantly moving. The last five coho I caught this season so far, have all been from different locations. I would pay more attention to fishing the right type of water etc. Most of my fishing is done below the Vedder Crossing bridge, occasionally I'll fish the section between the crossing and Tamahi. I rarely venture above Tamahi, as I prefer to look for freshly arrived fish from the Fraser River.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 03:53:02 PM »

Rodney do you ever not catch a coho when you go out? ;D

Rodney only post when he catches something  ;D

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 04:34:11 PM »

nice fish Rod ,sounds like another good day.

bruce

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 04:42:17 PM »

Thanks rodney and birdman, I will give it a try

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 04:49:28 PM »

It doesn't matter where you fish the fish in Rodney's spot will have moved up into another spot by now.Iin high water find the runs where the fish are moving. And in low water find where the fish are holding. Good spots in conditions like now are places where there are nice resting pockets in the middle of deep fast runs. Another tip is to try and find the holes where there are no chinook holding as that will spook coho.

Its nice to see that you are learning. Good job buddy.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family