Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where to sleep .....  (Read 11546 times)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
Where to sleep .....
« on: September 14, 2005, 07:07:31 PM »

With the fall/winter months comming around the corner i was wondering where you guys sleep when you go fishing.....and it cant be a hotel...

The reason why i ask this is that in 2 weeks i am leaving on a fishing/hunting trip and will be camped in an area that was as cold as 2 degrees last week.  I bought a tent from JYSK believe or not.  The tent is a 3 man tent and makes no reference as to whether it can be used in cold weather or not.  My sleeping bag is good til minus 10..... do you think this is safe.. Just dont want to wake up frozen.... All the guys will be sleeping in the back of the pickups but i feel like a sardine so i am looking for an alternative....

see ya on the river

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Where to sleep .....
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 07:14:24 PM »

Every year I go to a lake in the Merrit region. Usually in mid September or end of September. Its gets as low as -5 at times and we wake up to snow as its 5000ft in elevation. I sleep in the back of my truck despite the cold. I use one of those sleeping bags rated to -30. It helps but I usually wake up a few times during the night and turn my truck on and the heater for a good 20mins. Its hardcore but its always worth it. The usually stay 5 days at this lake and my record in those 5 days is 35fish and the biggest is 10lbs!! That alone is worth the cold. Its a fly only lake and thats the only way I would have it  ;D

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 07:21:09 PM »

but eddie the question is would you do it in a tent....

do you guys think i would wake up before hypothemia set in or i was to get ill...
see ya on the river

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 07:22:56 PM »

but eddie the question is would you do it in a tent....

do you guys think i would wake up before hypothemia set in or i was to get ill...

You can tent it my buddies do it. You can buy one of those tent heaters where they operate with a stubby ( small propane cylinder ) I would also get the same sleeping bag as I do. They sell any of this at Canadian Tire and Army & Navy.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 07:23:59 PM »

oh great now i wanna go

I met you this past weekend at Derby Reach I would be glad to tell you. You are going to the cleanup on Saturday right? If so just ask me and I will tell you all about the lake.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 07:24:35 PM »

wouldnt it hotbox the tent with propane fumes ;D ;D ;D... i have a minus 10 bag so i might be ok... i was thinking if it got to cold i could always go to the truck...
see ya on the river

meca_357

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 07:34:08 PM »

hey jett a trick i learnt in the past is light a candle or 2 in ur tent for a while it warms u up if ur cold and also it gets the heat going in the tent... it a nice cheap way to heat up the tent and maybe even throw on some marshmallows if ur hungry lol  8)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 07:37:05 PM »

yah but with my luck i would knock the candel over and burn the tent.....

as for the marshmallows.... dude you got an idea....

i hope i will be ok :'(
see ya on the river

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 07:41:32 PM »

You'll be fine just have to tough it out. Like I said I do it every year. It feels like crap at night but the fishing and experience make up for it. I get frost on my windows, I can see my breath etc etc but I still go back every year. 2 years ago they still had the campfire ban on during 3 of the 5 days we were there. Now that was tough but I still had fun.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 08:23:43 PM »

maybe i can find a little lady on the mountain and bring her in the tent with me... hehehe..

i am sure i will be fine.... and worse comes to worse i guess can sleep in the truck
see ya on the river

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 08:46:41 PM »

Bring a glass jar put a small candle (those with metal cup and about 1/2 inch tall) put it in the jar. drill come holes on the lid.
It take about 10min to warm up a two person tent (at minus 10). Make sure you tuck yourself in well and wear vest and socks.
Was in Churchill Manitoba for a while doing. It's -10 at night by end of Aug. and +15 at noon.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 08:50:35 PM »

do i have to put the lid on it....will the candle burning cutt off my air supply...
see ya on the river

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 08:53:15 PM »

No it won't. Tent is not airtight.

meca_357

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 09:28:04 PM »

Yeah BwiBwi's got the right idea with the candle... also buy some heat packs that u can buy at any snowboard or ski shop and army navy .. lol pretty much anywhere.. and throw them in ur socks and gloves, they are amazing...

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2005, 09:38:07 PM »

i am going to do the candle thing... to be honest with yah i dont like the heatpacks becasue they run out and before you know it you spend a fortune on it...
see ya on the river