Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where to sleep .....  (Read 11547 times)

allwaysfishin

Re: Where to sleep .....
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2005, 12:15:46 AM »

when i go on hunting trips up in the northern part of the province in october/november it generally has gotten to minus 25 on many trips with snow being expected everytime. I use a 6inch thick foam mattress to insulate myself from the ground and 2 thick comforters, i hate sleeping bags. I will wear  a fresh pair of -20 rated socks each night ( change to fresh ones in morning) and i wear fleece underwear and a hoody pullover fleece so i can pull the hood over my head. I have only occasionally been woken up by cold but only when it has really dropped on the thermometer. I have a 4 man canvas in which we use a early 1980's coleman kersone dome heater, placed just inside the door to allow for fumes to not build up. works awesome. I also have a small 2 man tent which we use the propane type heater mentioned by others above. most important thing regardless of all else, insulate yourself from the cold ground and you will reduce at least 50% of your exposure to the cold while sleeping. And DO NOT use any open flame in your tent... unless you are lighting a smoke or...

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2005, 12:17:29 AM »

??? Not candles in sleeping bag that's suicidal. In TENT. Outside of sleeping bag.

TtotheE

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2005, 12:33:18 AM »

After reading this thread I can't help but think of the people found dead in tents on the local mountain.,  Alot of the time they had some sort of lamp burning inside for heat,  which burned all the oxygen while they slept.

Layer your clothes for extra heat.  Today's moisture wicking fabrics have come a long way in helping the body keep dry and warm.  Keep your head warm,  as (I think it was) 60% of your body's heat can be lost through the head.  A nice wool toque can keep your head warm,  even when wet.  Cotton has a tendency to retain moisture,  but I've found that wearing cotton socks when skiing keeps me from sweaty feet more so than dry wicking thermal socks.

Mojoman,  that's a good truck :)

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2005, 04:45:26 PM »

buy the best sleeping bag you can afford, some arctic 3 star or yukon robe's are made so as you can remove a layer (bag within a bag),
as suggested before army wool surplus blankets go a long way. I had a couple sown together to form a lite bag and had a flannel liner made  worked great in a cheaper bag until I could afford a more winter friendly model .
don't wear to many layers in a bag, once you sweat you are going to feel miserable real quick
Re: sleeping in the bed of a truck, I have often found that I was more comfertable sleeping under a tarp draped over the side of the truck what with the residual heat from the fire can be quite cozy.
Dragonspeed's idea  with the hot bottles is great ,I just packed a real hot water bottle, many laughed at first but they sure was a few more appear in camp before long.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2005, 05:00:35 PM »

i dont know.... then you get alot of mosture in the bag which makes you cold... plus waste of fuel to boil the water.....

No moisture.  CLOSED bottle ;)

It's tough to boil it once it's frozen ::)  You're going to need energy to generate heat somehow....might as well be doing double duty of keeping your water from freezing.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2005, 11:01:02 PM »

ya don't have an open flame in your tent. especially after piggin' out on beans... you might blow yourself up. ;D

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2005, 11:05:46 PM »

hmmmm i think i have reached a decision....here goes

Tarp on the botto..... tent on top of that... air matress  then sleeping bang and of course tarp ontop..... before i got to bed i will do the candle thing but stay out of the tent..... let those warm up... then go to bed all bundled with my rifle beside me... (sorry i had to put that in)... 8)  if it gets to cold to the car i go.. i will bundle myself up real nice and i will go from there...
see ya on the river

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2005, 09:26:48 AM »

lose the air matress.....will just help you keep cold....foam cushion would be a better alternative,...;)))

mojo
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

grandpa

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2005, 04:13:19 PM »

Chrome Mykiss and Mojoman gave you great advice . Outdoors always put the extra blanket , pad or whatever under instead of over. Reason your weight sueeses the air out by compressing the fifers and the cold can come in real quick and you can't pile enough on to of you to keep warm while a bit extra on the bottom does wonders . Not too many clothes on during the night though as when you get up in the morning you freeze . Before I leared this I spent a lot of uncomfortable nights in the bush .

Keep smilinh