Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where to sleep .....  (Read 11548 times)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: Where to sleep .....
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2005, 09:42:20 PM »

By the way. For winter preperation it is a good idea to keep match and candle in car when going to remote areas. One candle can keep whole car warm.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2005, 09:44:22 PM »

yah we always do that... we are also goign hunting for half the trip so should there be no food we can arange for some... ;) 

Just a little concenrned about the cold while i am sleeping.. dont want to wake up one morning all sick..
see ya on the river

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2005, 09:47:56 PM »

Dont' worry. I didn't, and it was months long project we were involved. Vest, socks and candle.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2005, 09:48:16 PM »

i am excited with the candle idea.. makes it a little more like survivor... hehe
see ya on the river

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2005, 09:48:47 PM »

how cold was it biwi
see ya on the river

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2005, 10:00:25 PM »

When we arrived end of Aug. it was -8 by end of Sept it was -15. Starting to see polar bears gathering waiting for that ice to form.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2005, 10:04:20 PM »

wow...... what were you doing up there...
see ya on the river

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2005, 11:33:30 PM »

geophraphic survey. diesel spill. check for extent of contamination under permafrost layer.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2005, 11:51:21 PM »

go to any army surplus store. buy yourself an army blanket (dark grey in colour) and lay it beneath your sleeping bag. they're pretty raspy, but even wet, they'll keep you warm.

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2005, 11:56:48 PM »

Comfort of sleeping in the tent differ from person to person. Where somebody will be freezing another person will feel hot. General rule is that sleeping bags are made for an average person which is not tired, has a full tummy, and overal feels good. If you are hungry, or ... sleeping bag for -10 will work as a +5 sleeping bag. I would get a terma rest (if you do not know what it is, just go to MEC on West Broadway, Sport Check, or any other store that sells outdoor equipment and ask them). You will need it. I would not go camping without it.

Just keep yourself dry, rested, fill up your tummy, do not burn down your tent :) , and you should be OK.

Good Luck Fishing

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2005, 05:51:55 AM »

a liner made of fleece and a sleeping pad will go a long ways to helping you stay warm....I'll b in the back of my B2200 in 7 days for 5 nites...haven't camped in years...but I'll b prepared for the cold...;)))

mojo
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2005, 11:35:25 AM »

Further...  Don't use an open flame in your tent:  Unless you have a penchant for melted nylon stuck to your skin and burning :(

Try this.

Get 2 lexan/nalgene wide mouth water bottles (the clear, coloured, not translucent ones) and pour BOILING water into them before going to bed.  Put a sock around the bottle (bottle in sock) and then toss them into the bottom of your sleeping bag.

Double benefit: 

1) if it's really cold, at least when you wake up, you'll have some LIQUID water
2) Hot water bottle.

We use this for our scouts when we're at Manning in November, and it sometimes gets down to -20 at night.  Haven't had a kid die yet ;)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2005, 08:28:10 PM »

i dont know.... then you get alot of mosture in the bag which makes you cold... plus waste of fuel to boil the water.....

see ya on the river

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2005, 09:52:35 PM »

I'm amazed at these suggestions of using external heating sources to keep warm, like candles, propane heaters and bottles of boiling water in sleeping bags, they seem dangerous to me :o The technology of outdoor fabrics and materials has made surviving in cold conditions so much easier now. If your going to be sleeping in sub-zero temps, I suggest that you purchase a good down mummy bag that is regulated to be atleast 10 degrees lower than the temperatures that you will be encountering. Hiker is right about a Therma-rest, or other sleeping pad, which will protect you from losing heat from where the sleeping bag is in contact with the ground. The clothing you shoose to wear in your sleeping bag is very important in cold weather. You should wear moisture wicking clothing, such as Polartec Powder Dry type long johns and polartec fleece pants and tops. Another over looked item are socks, a good pair of merino wool blended socks can prevent that annoying cold feet feeling. Your head is also important, you should wear a toque and cinch up the mummy hood in very cold conditions :) Yes, this stuff is not cheap, but well worth the investment.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2005, 09:58:15 PM »

you know the hotel is looking better and better...heheh.
see ya on the river