Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MORE ILLEGAL NETTING BY THE CHEAM  (Read 7289 times)

allwaysfishin

MORE ILLEGAL NETTING BY THE CHEAM
« on: September 08, 2005, 04:28:27 PM »

Last night the cheam were drift netting at the rosedale bridge. no enforcement presence was witnessed. We were told that FN fisheries in the area of the fraser were done for the season.
this is just bloody ridiculous, the whole lot of em should be thrown in freakin jail. f$%#% poachers

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
Re: MORE ILLEGAL NETTING BY THE CHEAM
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 05:43:31 PM »

I think they ran out of salmon to BBQ. Need more food for the upcoming WINTER!!!!

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 05:52:17 PM »

Ya they sold their previouse catch now is really the food requirement. sooo.... if no opening for them AGAIN, they'll complain hardship ;D ;D ;D

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 06:06:06 PM »

Did you notify DFO?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 07:16:56 PM »

Did anyone listen to the Minister of DFO on CKNW yesterday when he categorically denied that the First Nations are selling illegal salmon ? There's the problem right there.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 07:25:04 PM »

FN is netting the Stave Mouth as well. I dont know why but they are.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 07:37:03 PM »

FN is netting the Stave Mouth as well. I dont know why but they are.

There goes the conservation of the Thompson cohos. >:(

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 07:41:52 PM »

Did anyone listen to the Minister of DFO on CKNW yesterday when he categorically denied that the First Nations are selling illegal salmon ? There's the problem right there.

Sorry I miss that.  If he really said what he said, he is the biggest fool around.  Did'nt Sid Douglas, the Cheam chief, categorically admitted on Global TV news that they were selling fish like other bands were doing?  What other proofs does this minister need?  What a joke!  Why we pay taxes to support this kind of individual heading an important organization like DFO.  His ignorance reflects why the sockeye stock was wiped out last year by illegal FN poaching & selling of the fish.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 07:45:43 PM by funfish »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 07:49:45 PM »

We need a way to vote this type of minister a non confident vote to get rid of people like him.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 08:16:06 PM »

Unfortunately Ministers are appointed by the Prime Minister. They only way is to embarrass him in the media by evidence such as pictures, videos etc.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 08:25:24 PM »

and the media reports on WHAT THEY want to report and what matters to THEM.

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 10:13:11 PM »

Correction: There was a 12 hour driftnet opening for the Lower Fraser First Nations, including the Cheam First Nation, yesterday from 08:00 to 20:00.

Can we PLEASE be a bit careful on posting such information? If anyone who encounters a netting, he or she should phone the ORR line to either report it or confirm its legality.

Nikko

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 10:32:27 PM »

He denied it right before he stated that they had near 100 investigations and charges against 50 or 100 indivuduals for selling/buying fish.

I sure had to hand it to Sterling Fox (the DJ). He did a really good job with that interview.

Nikko

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 10:43:15 PM »

Typical politician. Deny,deny, deny.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2005, 11:05:05 PM »

o.k. maybe the topic heading needs to be changed however, point is rod, wether this was a legal opening or not.... there is no damn good reason for FOC/DFO to allow anymore FN fisheries right now, this close to the migration of thompson coho. Bait bans have been applied on recreation fisheries on lower fraser effective september 6 and mission bridge up, september 8th... to coincide with the endangered coho and steelhead conservation plans. Also non tidal recreation fisheries for sockeye are closed in the waters of this opening and a closure to the upper fraser pink and spring fishery is imminent as well, ALL coinciding with the endangered coho conservation plan.

some one explain to me how allowing ANOTHER FN gillnet fishery fits into this "so called" coho conservation plan. I see all rationality and common sense pouring out of our government like a water bucket blasted with buckshot. I am truly horified by the display of incompetence and lack of judgement that those making the decisions are making, they really do think we are just stupid taxed to death citizens who will continue as always to roll over and say ba ah aha   like the sheep they prefer us to be.