Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bottom Flossing @ The Pipeline  (Read 16573 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Bottom Flossing @ The Pipeline
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2005, 10:50:32 AM »

It's doable if you know what you're doing. I've caught a 44 lber from the Stamp on a 10 lb. test leader.

Isn't the idea to bring the fish in asap? The longer you need to play them (which I assume you must with a 10lb leader) the more stress which builds up in the fish and affects the flesh negatively.

It makes more sense to use heavier leader to horse them in as fast as possible - better for the fish imho.

Surprisingly it didn't take me more than a few minutes to land that fish.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2005, 10:59:23 AM »

It's doable if you know what you're doing. I've caught a 44 lber from the Stamp on a 10 lb. test leader.

Isn't the idea to bring the fish in asap? The longer you need to play them (which I assume you must with a 10lb leader) the more stress which builds up in the fish and affects the flesh negatively.

It makes more sense to use heavier leader to horse them in as fast as possible - better for the fish imho.

Surprisingly it didn't take me more than a few minutes to land that fish.

I bow in your presence :)

seriously great if you can do that...i could never persuade a fish what to do except swim as fast as possible downstream lol

what technique do you use? rod tip down?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2005, 11:04:27 AM »

The fish committed suicide by swimming upstream against the current thus tiring itself out more quickly.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2005, 11:05:21 AM »

The fish committed suicide by swimming upstream against the current thus tiring itself out more quickly.

haha

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2005, 11:47:49 AM »

Ya fish is so unpretictable.  One day you might land a 20lber easy another day a 10lber might take you for a river tour. (experienced that on grass carp).

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2005, 11:58:06 AM »

Well, I am not a Sport Fisherman.  I do not believe that fishing is a matter of competition.  I fish to catch them and to become food.  I can use a very fine leader/tippet or thicker ones.  I use the thickest one that I could use while still maintaining optimum presentation. I can land the fish quicker with thicker leader/tippet.  So I choose what would be most beneficial and merciful to the fish.  So when I C&R salmon and see them continue their swim up the river,  I know I am doing the right thing. 

Catching a fish with very fine leader/tippet requires more care in successfully landing the fish.  The fight is indeed more exciting.  However,  I do not value fun and excitement above the health and welfare of the fish and that of the environment.

Some people would say that it is unethical to use a thicker leader/tippet.  I totally disagree.

Do what's beneficial to the fish and the environment in general.  If you follow this guideline instead of self glorification then you are doing the right thing.

So it is really a matter of individual/personal choice according to what one values most.

If any or all of you want to be classified as a better or the best fishherman then I gladly concede that any of you are better fisherman than I am.  In fact, it's ok with me if you say that I am the worst fisherman.  You can even say that I have unethical fishing practice.  I did BB for sockeye and got 10 in 5 days.  For this, I was classified as a Meathead.  But while sockeye fishing,  I only C&R once (Long line release due to tangles).  If I caught only pinks then that would be what I bring home as food.  But over all, maybe my luck in catching my limits of sockeye was due to karma for my fishing philosophy.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2005, 01:22:16 PM »

Crack a dawn maybe you should start that school up you seem to know exactly what yout talking about. Might wana get alot of ice too for them fat lips you would be getting all day, what you just posted what completly immature speculated crap snaging socs or coho where does that crap come from? Maybe you should become a DFO office and come onad tell me on the river im fishing wrong. What buisness of yours is it anyways with what kinda leader i fish?
[

crack a dawn

• These boots were made for eating!
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2005, 08:49:00 PM »

Go eat your meat sox! :-*
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 09:00:40 PM by crack a dawn »

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2005, 09:53:32 PM »

With pleasure. ;)