Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Double or triple dipping for Sockeye....  (Read 5454 times)

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
Double or triple dipping for Sockeye....
« on: September 06, 2005, 06:53:32 PM »

I wonder how much of this occurs.

As I was putting on my wader, I saw theses guys come back from fishing with 2 socks each. They took their time eating and I never thought twice about it. I got to my fishing spot and half an hour later, I swear I saw the same bunch of guys fishing again keeping somemore socks...

Just plain old "GREED"..................

Floater

• Old Timer
Re: Double or triple dipping for Sockeye....
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 07:11:10 PM »

When was thsi steelie and was it at seabird? Cuz i saw you there on saturday you had a few springs on eh ;) wana share the trick with me lol.
[

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 07:18:07 PM »

It was at Seabird and I think you got the wrong guy with the Spring on Saturday. Did not hook any Springs on Saturday but I did get one on Sunday - a small( about 15lb)chromer. I usually cast way out there for the Springs. No special ways- just lucky.

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 07:28:18 PM »

seen lots of guys doing the same at peg,just the other morning this one fella caught his two socks and he packed up and left but about an hour later i seen him come to try his luck again  >:(

FISHYtheGREAT

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 07:32:42 PM »

Well atleast you guys confronted them and/or called dfo

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 08:01:05 PM »

I know that they used to have a person sitting at scale bar taking down peoples personal information to prevent such a thing. Its too bad they stopped doing that. I have noticed that allot of BB'ers are people that don't fish any other way and those people are the ones that usually do this sort of thing. I am not a meat fisherman and cant stand to see this. I am not saying others that don't BB don't do it, but it seems more people that do it seem to be guilty of this act. I know not all BB'ers are guilty so don't start this into a debate. It just seems to happen during Sockeye season and how else can you catch sockeye??

I actually caught 2 guys who were fishing by my house who double dipped for pinks.They fished in the morning and caught their limit. They came back to the spot a couple hours later and I asked them what they were doing. They said they were going to fish. I said that's fine but you cant keep any more since you already bagged your limit. They fished and the first one they had on they bonked. This infuriated me and I grabbed the now dead fish and put it in the water. That got them mad and they started swearing. I said try and do something about it. Well they backed down and I called them in with a description and a licence plate number.

Who the heck needs that much fish? Its pink season and its just beginning. If you fished everyday for 2 weeks you would have 56 fish...Where are you going to keep 56 fish!!!! I know I have other food in my freezer other than fish and would never have that much room for that many fish. I bet a ton of fish gets wasted every year because people get too greedy.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 08:21:45 PM »

Good point..

Wool Bandit

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 08:56:24 PM »

Read my posts on Bottom Flossing The Pipeline its right inline with this topic.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 10:22:06 PM »

It's extremely disappointing to hear that this behaviour goes on out there.  We should be greatful that DFO gave us an opening at all!  After all the ranting and raving about not having an opening.  In my opinion - it's behaviour like this that could make DFO think twice about opening the fishery to recreational anglers.  For those that "challenge" unethical anglers - good on you.  Just be careful about not let it escalate to a violent situation.

Speaking of bad behaviour - I was fishing at a bar last Saturday and a guy dragged a pink up on the beach - then put it back into the water.  One of the fellow anglers scolded him saying not to do that.  I politely stated that beaching fish is very bad for them.  The guy said he thought it was a sockeye.  I stated that other anglers around him, including myself, would be pleased to help him identify and land fish - and to help him not to beach fish he intended to release.  He just looked at me and nodded... :)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 11:02:36 PM »

Good for you FlyFishin Magician. I think that atitude is easier to swallow don't you think  ;)
Pride is in everyone. If told politely most people would try to correct their error

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 08:42:41 AM »

"Just be careful about not let it escalate to a violent situation."

Sooner or later it has to come to this.  There are people who won't conform until you knock them down (or give it a good shot).  Well, consistently and agressively enforcing the rules would go a long way towards preventing this.

Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but from what I read here, the rules are only occasionally (and capriciously) enforced, various groups have the luxury of deciding whether or not the rules even apply to them, and some of the conservation officers don't even seem to understand the basic principles.

In this kind of situation someone has to make a stink that can't be ignored.  Being polite won't get anyone's attention, and everyone just ends up feeling frustrated.  Start duking it out on the riverbank and something will get done.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2005, 09:33:41 AM »

« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:01:24 AM by dennisK »

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2005, 10:09:28 AM »

Speaking of bad behaviour - I was fishing at a bar last Saturday and a guy dragged a pink up on the beach - then put it back into the water.  One of the fellow anglers scolded him saying not to do that.  I politely stated that beaching fish is very bad for them.  The guy said he thought it was a sockeye.  I stated that other anglers around him, including myself, would be pleased to help him identify and land fish - and to help him not to beach fish he intended to release.  He just looked at me and nodded... :)

I've seen the exact same thing numerous times. What I usually do is after witnessing this once I offer to help them land any further fish they catch. Usually they are new and don't know any better so I figure its easyier more effective to teach by example rather than to give a tongue lashing. The one thing that I will say is that all anglers and fishing the flossing bars should either be in waders or be prepared to get wet. Peg Leg in particular is bad for this. It's impossible to release a fish there without getting into the drink yetr 90% of the people are in shoes and jeans.
Actions speak louder than words.

limit time

• http://www.svmatch.com/allusers/4/
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 12:38:42 PM »

i see that cupcakes all the time, and its not just soceyes >:( >:(

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2005, 05:18:36 PM »

Well biffchan - I was wearing waders!  I know I must look like a newbie out there - but it wasn't too hot at all over last Fri and Sat.