Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Double or triple dipping for Sockeye....  (Read 5457 times)

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
Re: Double or triple dipping for Sockeye....
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2005, 06:31:24 PM »

question from Dennisk:  "Would you take a hard punch or knife slash in the face for a fish?"

For an individual fish?  Probably not.  On the other hand, I just might put it on the line.  When I was a kid we lived in Idaho on the Salmon River.  My father told me there had been some guys fishing with dynamite.  He explained the situation to me.  What happened to those guys? I asked.  They had to move away.  His explanation was that they couldn't go into a bar or to a dance without ending up in a fight, because the rest of the men on the river would not put up with them.

Sure, this was even before my time, and in a place where people knew each other.  And consistent application of the rules makes all of this unnecessary; but until you have that, it will always come down to how-much-will-you-put-up-with before you are willing to take a punch or give one.  Word gets around about what the community will allow.

Actually, I'm thinking I do kind of put it on the line at our place in Mexico.  I don't try to save the local people or tell them  how to do things, but people used to dynamite the river regularly to the point where it was damn near sterile.  All of the people I know understand that if I see anyone trying to dynamite the river I will be up above them throwing down the biggest rocks I can find.  These guys also understand that if I find out they have been bombing the river it is not likely they will get a warm reception at my place or that I will be doing any business with them.

I don't know how much I've had to do with it, but the attitude toward bombing the river near where we live has changed A LOT since I've been making noise and threats.  Lots of times if you are willing to take that punch, you don't have to.  But you gotta be willing . . . .

allwaysfishin

Re: Double or triple dipping for Sockeye....
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2005, 11:30:34 PM »

i like this guys attitude and thanks keithr, for your very refreshing point of view. For all things there is a time