Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some observations and thoughts on recent events  (Read 5936 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Some observations and thoughts on recent events
« on: August 11, 2005, 04:58:14 PM »

After reading the content of some of the posts from the past week or so, I feel there is a need to provide a summary and some of my thoughts of recent events.

In case some of you have not been following, the following events and issues have been or still are taking place in the fishing community:

• Fraser River white sturgeon conservation plan and SARA;
  • WLAP’s proposed province wide bait ban;
  • Fraser Valley fisheries dialogue between First Nations and recreational anglers;
  • Ongoing First Nations and DFO comparative study on the efficiency between drift and set nets;
  • Cheam’s loss in application for injunction;
  • Abnormality in Fraser River sockeye abundance;
  • Low abundance of pink salmon in the Squamish River system;
  • CN’s chemical (NaOH) spill into Cheakamus River and massive fish kill;
  • And of course, selectivity of Fraser River Chinook recreational fishery.

Three of the above items, received almost no attention at all.

When I first informed all about the First Nations driftnet study in late July, I did not receive a single feedback or objection via email or in that same thread. 75 views only, with no replies. Doesn’t anyone find it troubling that DFO and First Nations are now conducting a scientific study on an illegal practice that was recently recognized as a legitimate way to fish?

The Fraser River white sturgeon conservation plan was developed by the Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society last month, which can change the recreational white sturgeon fishery in the Fraser River from 2006 once the decision on SARA is made, yet when the plan is made public and feedbacks are requested before September 15th, it received almost no attention. How many sturgeon fishermen have sent their feedbacks in so far? The deadline is only a bit more than one month away.

WLAP’s province wide bait ban proposal is a poor one that can would have tremendous impacts on the recreational fishery if it is approved. When Nick, Chris and Gwyn met with the Minister of Environment and the meeting outline of the presentation was posted. It also received little attention. Pretty unusual considering the vast number of bait anglers on this discussion forum.

The mood both on and off the internet is different in August, most are eager to get a taste of those delicious salmon that are making their way back into the rivers. There is no doubt this is one of the many joys recreational anglers get to enjoy in Canada, to catch and eat some of the best tasting fish in the world. This year’s abnormal returns and last year’s failures have resulted in DFO taking precautionary steps to ensure sustainability is reached. DFO staff work closely with representatives of the recreational fishing sector numerous times per week. I have to say DFO staffs’ professionalism (enforcement, communication, resource management levels) is fantastic. We voice our interests to them and they are responsive to our concerns most of the time. The reality is, if the fish are not there for the recreational anglers, there will be no openings. Once conservation is met, the law in this country also mandates DFO to award openings to First Nations first before opening opportunities to other sectors. By using this website, I do my best to keep the public updated with the latest escapement numbers and opening information. In return, I expect people to read and understand the reasonings behind DFO’s decisions. It’s frustrating to read comments that rant about the closures and immediately cast all blames on DFO without recognizing what exactly is happening out there. While a fishing licence allows you to fish and harvest the resource within law, it is not a guaranteed ticket to sockeye salmon.

I’m not sure if people are simply ignoring the problem, unaware of what has happened, or unable to appreciate the significant of the damage that the CN Rail chemical spill has done to the Cheakamus and Lower Squamish River. Most of the inhabitants of the Cheakamus River are all DEAD. An ecosystem consists of all animals and plants in their physical surroundings. The normal pH level reading in the Cheakamus does not indicate the salmon that return from now on are out of the trouble. In fact, they are IN trouble. What are next year’s juvenile salmon going to feed on? When the news of the spill first came out, people shared their anger on CN and sadness, yet no one has recommended solutions to assist the recovery process. What’s even more troubling, people are still willing to head up there and target the pink salmon that are still to come.

Last year, one of my colleagues on the Sportfishing Advisory Committee told me that “For every fish I keep, I want to bring four back.

Fishing is important, but the fish are more important. If there are no fish, can fishing still exist? You are not obligated to give back, but it seems too few are realizing what’s at stake this year and too many are taking the limited resource for granted. Please don’t interpret the above as rants, but as concerns. Sometimes those who are involved deeply in these issues, must be questioning themselves, “Why are we bothering?” We don’t look for thanks, we don’t look for recognitions, but we would love to see more people treating the resource with care and getting involved by donating both time and money in various ongoing projects.

Thoughts on dialogue with FN, Cheam issue, selective recreational fishery to come later tonight.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Some observations and thoughts on recent events
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 03:01:32 AM »

Part Two

The application for injunction that Cheam filed showed that the sportfishing community is so divided because we can’t agree on the length of a leader and the type of presentation/bait that should be used. Those issues within our own fishery are valid concerns, but there are way bigger issues to tackle right now. I find that we lack a tight network and information is not delivered efficiently and accurately. During our first dialogue session with the Fraser Valley First Nations, their question about how organized sportfishermen are was a tough one to answer. How many of you do not belong to a society/organization/club that is actively involved in the sportfishing community? If you don’t belong to one, join one, be represented and have your concerns voiced.

Although the motive behind the injunction was not justified, Cheam and other First Nations’ concerns on conflicts while fishing should be taken very seriously. Anglers who do not belong to a sportfishing organization are not informed and updated with current issues. An uneducated angler can get him or herself into trouble out there due to misunderstanding. Members of Cheam do not want to deal with these people while fishing, just like we do not want to deal with some of their people who can be out of control on the waters.

Our ‘victory’ on Tuesday should not be celebrated for too long. It’s a no-win situation. Cheam First Nation probably feels justice has not been served and will press on to fight for more fishing access. In the meantime, we are back to whining about the sockeye closure.

The problem sits on management. When two groups are utilizing the same resource that does not belong to anyone, each would of course want the best for its own people. While competing against each other, the fish are slowly slipping away without being noticed. We need to transform this competition into sharing, by establishing a better relationship. The first step would be to understand and respect each other. That’s what these dialogue sessions have been about. Both sides need to address their problems and concerns to each other and DFO, and develop solutions and compromises. The process will be long and unpredictable, but at least a will to change is already there.

I thought last Tuesday night’s meeting with Yale, Skwah and Cheam was slow but constructive. Some progress was made. Cheam and SFAC had a lengthy conversation about the injunction and better communication. In the end, a contact list has been established so now we can also continue the dialogue at a personal level via phone and email after the meetings finish. If that isn’t a true will to change, I don’t know what is.

The next Fraser Valley Fisheries Dialogue session will be on Tuesday August 23. My thanks go to Jessica Bratty from the Fraser Basin Council for keeping things on track for both sides.

Last night when I logged on after being away for one night, I found the same scenario that occurred last year took place again. When it comes to discussing the validity of flossing in the Fraser, all participants have good points, but many times the discussion degenerates because the approach is wrong. In the future, before any of you decide to make a personal post at another member, read the sentences out loud first. Ask yourself if you would actually say what you have typed out to the recipient if he or she is standing in front of you. If you would, then post it. If you wouldn’t, then you may want to rethink about posting or reword your sentences. Past experience tells me if you want to be heard, you say things in a respectful manner.

The flossing issue should be dealt at the management level. Coming on here to tell a few people off may make some people rethink, but on a larger scale the effort is insignificant. Until the day when the regulations are changed, people will continue to participate in the sockeye fishery when an opening is given. Your effort and time should be spent on consulting with people who can actually make changes to the sportfishery. By telling people how they should fish, you are ultimately dividing the sportfishing community even more. Maybe a public forum with DFO is needed.

Join a group, get involved, that next fish you catch will feel a lot more special.

goblin59

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 08:51:21 AM »

What alot of people seem to fail to realize, is that a huge portion of the runs don't even make to the Fraser. The commercial fleet intercepts them at sea. In a recent study published by DFO, they have admitted that too many fish are taken before the actual run strength has been determined. A licencing system similar to that used in the herring fishery is now being considered.
Think about it..... it doesn't matter how strong the runs are, if less than half the fish have a chance to make to to the Fraser and then their home streams.

lunker

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 12:27:33 PM »

Rod, good post and a good reminder of what really matters.  I for one am very gratefull for your efforts(and everyone else who has given their time and energy), so keep fighting the good fight.  I know at times it must seem like trying to go up the fraser in a float tube, but I think most people who enjoy fishing in BC are thankfull for the work you do.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 12:42:14 PM »

I for one appreciate the work you do. I did not realize how much work is being done until I started on this forum and read all the info on here. Keep up the fight and the info.
   A BIG THANKS GOES OUT TOO YOU.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 01:48:44 PM »

Rod may be FWR should concider becoming a fishing club?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 01:59:14 PM »

BwiBwi, I'm not too keen on making Fishing with Rod into a fishing club as this is actually a registered business and I intend to keep it that way. :) What the website will do instead is to support those clubs that have already been around for a long time, by promotion, donating bandwidth to address their issues, etc. There are already so many organizations out there, but we lack one that unite all together. SDA is probably the closest one. I do wish to see some kind of organization down this way (Richmond) to emphasize the need of education (that other post I made awhile ago regarding information boards on the piers etc) to DFO and City of Richmond. I'll talk to you more about that this winter when time becomes more available.

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 12:44:34 PM »

Good advice in the original post.  And some admonitions many of us, me included, deserve.  Perhaps what Rodney says in his last entry ("when time becomes more available") had at least something to do with the poor response he got on some of the issues involved.  I've been doing quite a lot of fishing and trying not to think about a lot of important issues--boy! there sure are plenty of them out there.

Information I've gotten from FWR has led me to writing, I believe, three letters (email) to the appropriate members of the government.  I felt good doing it, and I got a couple of polite responses; but, being from Oregon, I felt a little nervous about being a nosy neighbor butting into someone else's argument. 

About joining a fishing club.  I know I should do that.  I suspect a lot of the rest of the people on this forum are in the same situation:  we're fishermen or fisherwomen, and we probably like our own company (solitude) pretty well.  Many of us are probably pretty shy and slow to join groups.  It's hard enough just speaking your mind.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 09:37:14 PM »

Well I tried to write a long detailed comment on Rod's post-addressing each point but the format wouldn't take everything in order.
So I'll summarise.
Rod-your efforts will make a difference but not in the way you think.
People are by and large lazy, greedy and ignorant-today's fisheries are a pale shadow of what once existed and will continue to decline because of humankind's destructive nature.
I offer no hope for this to change but I do believe that conservation and educational work is it's own reward.

My Most Sincere Thanks for your efforts.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 09:47:57 PM by Sam Salmon »

Harps

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 12:42:10 AM »

I’m not sure if people are simply ignoring the problem, unaware of what has happened, or unable to appreciate the significant of the damage that the CN Rail chemical spill has done to the Cheakamus and Lower Squamish River. Most of the inhabitants of the Cheakamus River are all DEAD. An ecosystem consists of all animals and plants in their physical surroundings. The normal pH level reading in the Cheakamus does not indicate the salmon that return from now on are out of the trouble. In fact, they are IN trouble. What are next year’s juvenile salmon going to feed on? When the news of the spill first came out, people shared their anger on CN and sadness, yet no one has recommended solutions to assist the recovery process. What’s even more troubling, people are still willing to head up there and target the pink salmon that are still to come.
I have been involved on the team that has been working to document the impacts caused by the CN spill from the beginning. I must say a feel a bit disappointed in the angling community and especially the anglers that frequently fish the Cheakamus and area systems (Squamish, Mamquam).
Where were you when the call went out for volunteers to assist in the effort?
I sure hope that if the same scenario were to occur on your 'favourite' river, that you would take some stewardship responsibility to help out.
At the same time I would like to thanks the dedicated few that turned out. The work was hot and long, and everyone played an important role in ensuring that if this issue ever requires going to court, the evidence collected and documented will play an integral role.
With the closure of the Cheakamus River, the Squamish River (downstream from the confluence with the Cheakamus) and the Mamquam River as of this morning, we can be hopeful that returning fish (Chinook and Pink) will be receiving some protection.
Latest update: currently our team is conducting invertebrate sampling along the Cheakamus to determine the impacts the spill had on the bugs.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 06:41:11 AM »

Good work on this Harps. It can be disappointing at times when we have so many people in the angling community and it seems far too few in most cases step up to the plate when needed. I am glad to see you are not one of them.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 03:18:32 PM »

Thanks for the reminder Rodney. It's amazing how often we loose track of the big picture.
Actions speak louder than words.

fishin for life

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2005, 05:04:58 PM »

Good on you Rod to remind people that things are on going. That we can not relax at all that the fight goes on all year. I sent numerous emails when I heard of the bait ban. Also when the drift netting started.     Views that I seen today fishing. There were a few sockeye and pinks caught at Laidlaw bar. The troubling part was 2 older fishers that were not releasing the fish correctly. This troubled me so I went over to show them what to do. When going over to help the next time 1 of them said it was ok he could get it. I advised him that you should release properly and help anyways. Like I said before get off the macho wagon and take the assistance when offered.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 01:31:05 AM »

Thanks Sam, for the pessimistic yet realistic view of my thoughts. ;) I don't have high expectations. I don't expect everyone would type up a long letter to address his or her concerns to those who are in charge, or drive straight up to Squamish and collect dead fish for the day. What I would love to see, is people are willing to learn and inform others about what they have learned. I would love to see people spending a couple hours a month to improve the current state of our resource. The time can be spent on attending river cleanups that are being organized throughout the year, hatchery volunteering, letter writing to address important issues, etc. If 10,000 anglers put in 2 hours per month, 20,000 volunteer hours can certainly make an impact and the process would be much faster. We are all fantastic fishery critics of DFO when the stocks are low. ;) How many of us actually intend to work WITH DFO to develop solutions?

Keith also brought up a good point, volunteer when time permits. We all have a busy life, sometimes it is hard to devote some personal time on public resources that you share with others.

Last week while at the resolution dialogue with FNs, at one point we were discussing how many reps should we allow from each sector to attend the meeting. Chief Hope of Yale said, "Well... I doubt any of my members would want to come to the meeting with me, because... you know... they have a... life." ;D What are you saying chief, those of us who come to the meeting don't have one? ;D

Can't wait to September. :)

Uncivil

• 'Geers on Gear
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 12:29:59 PM »

Excellent points Rod.  When I look at my own fishing habits I only touch on many of the issues you raised.  I have in the past written letters to the minister on certain issues but I can only write about fisheries that I actually partake in.  I think that this would cover many of the licensed Fishermen in this province.  If we do join clubs we tend to join a club that focuses on issues that are important to us.  ANd you are right we tend to fight each other more often than not.  I am mindul of the focused effort that the FN's have in regrds to Fraser Salmon.  WHile I disagree with their tactics and position you have to admit they are focused on a particular goal.  If all the clubs could find a way to work together and realize that we may each have to give something up to get the real prize ( a clear, consistent and fair fisheries policy with effective enforcement)we would be a lot better off
We can build it, take me to your Banker!