Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Meeting With The Environment Minister Re The Proposed Bait Ban  (Read 8535 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Gwyn, Nick And I met with Barry Penner The new Environment Minister this morning. The meeting was to give the reasons we felt the blanket bait ban proposal but forth by Al Martin Director of the Branch was not warranted.

We went over our brief with the Minister with Nick taking the lead on it and he of course did a top notch job. The minister asked some good questions and as he is new to the job we expected he would.

We then talked to Al Martin and we were pleased to hear it does not look like it is going to proceed.

Mr Martin added he had received a lot of letters on this, I then asked if most were against it and he said they were. ;D Once again it shows how important letter writing is.

We had a good discussion during our hour meeting and Mr Martin's recommendations for the 2006-2007 season will be coming to Barry's office for his approval in September. We told him we will be avaliable if required to review the recomendations then but the three of us felt the proposal is history.

I presented Barry with 12 sheets of the petition of a few hundred names. I will also be sending the orignals to the Premier in the near future. If you have not signed it, it still is not too late. Thanks to those that signed it and wrote letters, it is very important to do so.

Rodney has a copy of the brief we presented for discussion and I will ask him to post it for those interested.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Meeting With The Environment Minister Re The Proposed Bait Ban
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 10:58:33 PM »

Appreciate your efforts on this issue Chris. Sounds like a positive meeting.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 10:59:27 PM »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 10:21:08 AM »

The Honourable Mr. Barry Penner

Minister of Environment

TOPICS OF DISCUSSION:

Friday, July 29th, 2005 meeting

REASONS FOR NOT HAVING A PROVINCE BAIT-BAN REGULATION.

1.      Most young anglers started fishing by using bait of one form or another dangled in a stream to catch their first fish which  in turn hooked them on fishing.  This practice still continues today and is the basis for most of our younger people getting into the sport.  These are the people who will be involved in the future of our fishery.

2.      The regulations and present regulation system we now have in place is doing a very good job of protecting fish stocks and still allowing bait fisheries to exist.  Admittedly there are some areas that bait bans are needed and are listed or could be listed in the exceptions to the general regulations for each Region.  In an area such as Region #2 with its wide variety of fisheries you must regulate on a stream by stream basis for good fisheries management and still allow for maximum fishing opportunity.  Most blanket regulations do not allow for proper fisheries management without jeopardizing angling opportunity.

3.      Angling is the most selective method of harvesting and practicing catch and release of fish there is – whether bait or artificials are being used.  There are many different venues for angler education concerning proper methods of handling and releasing fish whether they are caught on bait or artificials.  In this age anglers are becoming more educated about angling methods, ethics, enhancement, and regulations and should be allowed in most instances to decide themselves whether to use bait or not. 

4.      There appears to be as many papers available for allowing bait fisheries as there are against them.   In order to justify a province-wide bait ban far more scientific proof should have to be shown proving bait fishing in most streams and river is a detriment to fish populations. 

5.      The Province of British Columbia should be very careful about over regulating our multi-million dollar fresh water fishing industry.  Every effort possible should be made to encourage and support the sports fishing industry as it shares a leading role in the tourism section of our economy.  Another regulation, such as the proposed province wide bait ban does nothing to enhance the sport fishing in B.C. and is not necessary.

6.      The provincial hatchery system (Freshwater Fisheries Society of B.C.) stocks 1200 lakes and rivers per year and is funded by fishing licence purchases.  Shoving more poor thought out regulations down anglers throats is not a good method to increase licence sales. 

These are the main topics we wish to discuss with you at our meeting on Friday, July 29th.  Our main concern is that bait ban not be province-wide as the effect on Region #2 will be more detrimental than to any other region.  We hope to have a very informative discussion to air our concerns regarding this matter with you. 

Sincerely,

Nick Basok

Gwynn Joiner

Chris Gadsden

allwaysfishin

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 07:04:58 PM »

great work guys!!!
we have the petition sheets at berry's bait in richmond for those in our area that wish to sign. General reaction to the petition has been excellent, folks are indeed concerned and support the efforts being made against this ban.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 11:33:22 PM »

great work guys!!!
we have the petition sheets at berry's bait in richmond for those in our area that wish to sign. General reaction to the petition has been excellent, folks are indeed concerned and support the efforts being made against this ban.
Please keep pushing them as I gave a copy to Barry yesterday of all I had (about 350). I informed him I would be sending the orignals to the Gordon Campbell shortly with a covering letter. When you have a full 3 sheets filled in maybe Rodney can pick them up and get them to me. I will send them to Barry and Gordon as they come in.

Thanks for your support.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 06:21:31 PM »

Dead head this may interest you, I guess you missed it when I posted it back in July. Only 169 reads. I guess most anglers angle with wool and are not concerned. ::)  ???
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 06:24:52 PM by chris gadsden »

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 06:30:40 PM »

Chris, you know that bait is deadly and should not be used.  :o
Didn't you get that message from the Province when they shut bait down on all the rivers and allowed flies only?

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 07:51:21 PM »

I don't fish with flies ever yet to me the Bait Ban is an great idea-(apart from Sturgeon who won't take anything else).

fishherron

• DSC00434-001
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 07:51:46 PM »

Yeah! and it started the biggest flossing fishery that there has ever been
Fish for all your worth but, remember what the fish are worth.

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 08:15:02 PM »

Thankx for that info chris Am one who loves to fish bait ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 08:24:17 PM »

Chris, you know that bait is deadly and should not be used.  :o
Didn't you get that message from the Province when they shut bait down on all the rivers and allowed flies only?

Are you trying to tell me who was behind all of this. ;D ;D

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2005, 10:15:29 PM »

Actually bait ban would be COOL!

I vote for the bait ban in the CHUCK too! It would make things a whole lot more sporting and definitely bump up the sport factor as it challenges skill.

Personally, in the chuck, I probably have bait down on half my lines depending on the time of year and it's always just a matter of time before you get a bite on a deadly anchovy roll or a wicked Cut Plug.

In addition, it makes "power mooching" an ineffectual method of fishing.

It challenges anglers to "get the fish in" because TACKLE can be expensive...and would fuel the tackle shop and tackle manufacturer economy.

It's conservation minded as fewer fish are usually hooked without bait depending on the fishery, and the fish almost always never gulp a lure into the gullet.

Tackle adds a lot more "try it" experience. For example, the plug that will work like WILDFIRE on one evening and not the next---the bucktail that has that little tinge of colour that the next does not, the hootchy that may have a red stripe over the one that does not....etc...

Lot's more guesswork and skill required!

Actually, a bait ban would be COOL and a good conservation measure for WILD COHO, SMALLER FISH, etc.

I'd like to see a BAN on treble hooks too as is very destructive to the jaws of a grilse as well.

I should write a letter to DFO to go to a bait ban.

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2005, 10:27:14 PM »

FM do you fish the Fraser or the Vedder and see what goes on there?

On checking your posts I see you do "1 or 2 times a year" so that answers my own question. ;D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 10:30:06 PM by chris gadsden »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2005, 10:32:37 PM »

Actually bait ban would be COOL!

I vote for the bait ban in the CHUCK too! It would make things a whole lot more sporting and definitely bump up the sport factor as it challenges skill.

Personally, in the chuck, I probably have bait down on half my lines depending on the time of year and it's always just a matter of time before you get a bite on a deadly anchovy roll or a wicked Cut Plug.

In addition, it makes "power mooching" an ineffectual method of fishing.

It challenges anglers to "get the fish in" because TACKLE can be expensive...and would fuel the tackle shop and tackle manufacturer economy.

It's conservation minded as fewer fish are usually hooked without bait depending on the fishery, and the fish almost always never gulp a lure into the gullet.

Tackle adds a lot more "try it" experience. For example, the plug that will work like WILDFIRE on one evening and not the next---the bucktail that has that little tinge of colour that the next does not, the hootchy that may have a red stripe over the one that does not....etc...

Lot's more guesswork and skill required!

Actually, a bait ban would be COOL and a good conservation measure for WILD COHO, SMALLER FISH, etc.

I'd like to see a BAN on treble hooks too as is very destructive to the jaws of a grilse as well.

I should write a letter to DFO to go to a bait ban.

First of all, if the letter goes to DFO, it goes into the trash bin. The province wide bait ban proposal was issued by WLAP.

Challenging yourself by fishing without bait maybe your cup of tea, as you have reach that stage in the fishing career.

Reasoning behind a proposal such as this should be scientific based...

Lot's more guesswork and skill required! = Discouraging small kids with short attention span from picking up fishing as a hobby.

Can go on, but tired....