Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye update for Aug 9th  (Read 6602 times)

scobo

Sockeye update for Aug 9th
« on: August 09, 2005, 04:49:06 PM »

There you have it:

http://www.psc.org/NewsRel/2005/Announcement13.pdf

I think at this point they would be better off to open it.  Guys I know are catching over 20 per day and having to  release.  It will be easier on the fish to let everyone take two home and get off the river to leave the fish alone. :'(

Floater

• Old Timer
Re: Sockeye update for Aug 9th
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 06:11:57 PM »

WHAT the hell is it ever gona be open or is it gona be a FN fishery only this year.
[

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 06:20:25 PM »

hey scobo. Where did you find this info. I have been checking the dfo website right upto when I came here and they still do not have anything posted. Just wondering because dfo usually do not have openings for the USA on theirs.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 06:52:26 PM »

20 socks in a day yeah rite  ???

Bantam_50

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 07:08:22 PM »

:D :D

Everyone would save themselves a ton of aggravation if they just forgot about "When can we fish sockeye on the Fraser'.

Let the SDA and other organizations do what they can.

In the mean time sit back ....  watch the Cheam decimate what returning sockeye we have coming back.  ::)

In a short time, DFO will gladly let you all have your blood lusting on endless pinks. Your aggravation will be soothed and it'll be time to hit the Vedder for more. All will be well.  :P

Not to sure about the Fraser sockeye ....but all will be well.  :-[

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 10:01:37 PM »

20 socks a day?? Ouch!

They should probably consider lowering that number considerably and target fish that are open using a different method and save the method you are using for when and if the sockeye open.

Bantam 50 is right on
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 10:33:36 PM »

i agree that they should open it by catching nd releasing them puts alot of stress on a fish and also could casue the fish to die

So why not go barfishing or go fishsome where else if this is the way you feel  ???
Actions speak louder than words.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 11:24:43 PM »

As I stated a few days ago I will be very surprised if there will be a sockeye fishery on the Fraser River this year so I would not plan your holidays around it.

FOC are saying the numbers are low but I question that as it seems they are still allowing illegal fishing to go on, reports are coming in daily of these activities. As well FN fisheries are being planned for the weekend but please correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is if there is conservation concerns there should be no one fishing.

The real driver of course of not allowing a rec sockeye fishery is the injunction launched last week by Cheam. The only chance of a sockeye fishery is if the injunction is denied. If it is granted it will time for some legal action of our own. It will mean all of us setting our differences aside and work as a team. We will need the commercial sector, BC Wildlife Federation, Driftfishers, FVSS, flyfishers, BB and yes of course short floaters to all join the SDA and mount an opposition that has never been seen in British Columbia to protect our great sport that is being threatend. If groups stay on the outside they will be picked off one by one.

It is too bad FOC and all levels of government have not done more to protect the right to fish for all Canadians. When our fish stocks are decimated they will be the ones to hold responsible, not the recreational angler who is working so hard to preserve our precious fish stocks in so many ways.

FOC and the Fed's as it has been said so many times before have not learnt at all from the East Coast fisheries that they let slip to such dangerous levels. I wonder how any of them they can sleep at night with a clear conscious, I know I could not.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 11:28:30 PM by chris gadsden »

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 09:08:27 AM »

Fraser sockeye aren't returning
Hopes for bountiful harvest dashed, commercial fishery in jeopardy

Peter O'Neil
Vancouver Sun

August 10, 2005

1 | 2 | NEXT >>

OTTAWA -- A projected banner year for the Fraser River sockeye is failing to materialize, raising questions about whether there will even be a commercial sockeye fishery this year, industry and government officials confirmed Tuesday.

"It is cause for concern," federal Fisheries Minister Geoff Regan told reporters in a conference call as industry leaders discussed the increasingly grim outlook for what was originally forecast to be a bountiful season.

"According to what we're seeing in terms of returns, we have to adjust our actions and act accordingly."

The Pacific Salmon Commission said Tuesday the summer run, originally estimated at 11 million, is now expected to number in the two to five million range.

The Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) may consider cancelling the Fraser River sockeye commercial fishery this year, dashing expectations of the most bountiful summer sockeye harvest in close to a decade, said Ernie Crey of the Sto:lo Tribal Council.

Ken Connolly, spokesman for the Area E Gillnetters' Association that fishes the Fraser, agreed the PSC estimate raises questions about whether commercial vessels will be on the water this summer.

If there is a commercial fishery "it would be quite small," he predicted.

A shutdown of the commercial sector would also prevent commercial fishing in the aboriginal sector and would lead to further restrictions on the native food fishery, Crey said.

"There's going to be enormous hardship" along the Fraser River watershed if the 94 bands can't fish for food, Crey said.

Connolly said he hopes the DFO waits as long as possible in hopes the salmon will return in large numbers, allowing a commercial fishery.

"It's a horrible thing to look at, seeing some of these fishing families and communities and the impacts on them. I'm lucky I've got a job," Connolly said.

If Tuesday's PSC estimate turns out to be accurate, it would be the lowest summer run of sockeye since the 1970s, PSC chief biologist Mike Lapointe said after a conference call with commission members representing commercial, sport, and aboriginal fishing interests.

Lapointe said higher ocean water temperatures could be delaying the run, or the lower return numbers could be the result of DFO allowing too many sockeye to reach spawning grounds, especially in Quesnel Lake, in 2001.

The juvenile salmon produced from that run faced too much competition for food and were unusually small when they started their trek to the ocean in 2002, he said, likely reducing their survival rates.

DFO had estimated a total of 12.5 million sockeye returning this year, of which 11 million were part of the summer run and the remainder from the Early Stuart, the Early Summer, and the Late Summer runs.

The department had projected 718,000 Early Summer sockeye, but now say that number will be in the 250,000 range. About 260,000 Early Stuarts were expected, but that number has been lowered to 205,000. About 534,000 Late Summer sockeye are projected and that number hasn't been revised.

Officials point out that the main summer run has arrived as late as Aug. 16-19.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 09:15:58 AM »

Haven't we all seen this film before ? At the beginning of the year DFO makes a forecast of so many sockeyes coming back only to see the numbers decrease as the season nears. Closures ensues to "protect" the low returns only to find out later that the returns were greater than what was forecasted. Meanwhile the natives are going full bore with their food fishery.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 09:19:55 AM »

I had to get a kick of out Ernie being so concerned aobut the other native bands.  He doesn't give a flying Foo about them when he's taking the fish that they need, before they can get them  ::)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2005, 09:29:33 AM »

I find it quite incredulous that other bands are not voicing their displeasure with the Cheam Band's antics. Where does the Seabird Island, Musqueam, Yale and other bands' view on this ?

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2005, 09:40:34 AM »

I think they are hoping that the Cheam will take all the heat, but pave the way for them to drift, and controll access to the river as well. 

It's like the military sending out a scout unit to get info, or get decimated, before the rest of the troops come up and take the battlefield :)

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2005, 11:14:21 AM »

#1 Dragonspeed is dead on, if Cheam gets its way, many more tribes will follow.

#2 Everyone should get the hell ouutta the water NOW...fishfreak your attitude is B***S***: " i agree that they should open it by (because??) catching nd releasing them puts alot of stress on a fish and also could casue the fish to die, they should open it now keep the limit to 2 sockeye and be done with it "

So what you are saying is: who cares there isnt enough stocks to justify a soc opeing, because we are going to be flossing springs ANYWAYS, they might as well open socs too... because after I get my 2 socs, I obvisously will stop trying to floss a spring  and go home with my 2 socs... Thats your story right...did I misinterpret something????

HOW ABOUT THINKING ABOUT THE RESOURCE FIRST AND NOT EXPOSING THE SOCS TO UNDUE HARDSHIP ... HANG UP YOUR F****** GEAR and wait for the socs to be open before you kill anymore (self admittedly, you dont have to retain a soc to kill it)!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 11:17:05 AM by Gooey »