Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye update for Aug 9th  (Read 6601 times)

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: Sockeye update for Aug 9th
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2005, 07:08:22 PM »

#1 - I dont recall hooking a single soc on the vedder this year

#2 - the pic I posted of me a bug as an 18 lb doe (mine) and his 7-8 lbspring buck...bugs did C&R a soc that day tho.

#3 - an incedental hook up with a soc while FLOATING ROE in a river that is running cold does not compare to FLOSSING what ever swims up river infront of you on the fraser, in a river thats temp is floating around 18C, and a fish probably has another 500km to go before it hits the spawning ground.... ZERO COMPARISON CHUMP.

#4 you say " im hopeing to catch a spring" but hook into 5 socs ... did you hook a spring: NO.  I really dont care what your "trying to catch", the fact of the matter is you are hooking more socs then anything else...AM I RIGHT OR WRONG!   You then admit the socs may not make it to spawn because of energy used in that fight may be too much for them, but you justify it (endangering socs) to "try and hook a spring"...sorry bud, I find that disgusting.

You actions ar so "bottom of the barrel", TAKE WHAT EVER YOU CAN REGARDLESS OF THE CONCEQUENCES.  Frankly this site and our  sport will be better of without that type of a fisher participating.

#5  Since most of the reds in the vedder turned I havent been fishing (3 weeks now) so I have practiced what I preach and I have put my gear away until DFO opens the socs up.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 07:19:12 PM by Gooey »

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2005, 07:21:31 PM »

every year i wonder how accurate dfo's counting system is. so many fish move up during the evening hours in the fraser. i was barfishing last night around river road and noticed amazingly at the large school of sockeye that made their way up river spashing and jumping.large fish  too. maybe the runs are late so lets be patient and wait.

freddy2596

• I'm an my friend....
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2005, 07:40:46 PM »

Once again we see that selective angling really works!! Because thats the only way I could explain how someone would get on the internet and brag about catching five sockeye while bottom bouncing for springs........give your head a shake freak.....the more crap that is posted the better, because DFO loves to read this crap on the net as much as the concerned angler does and the more he sees of the abuse by people who think a betty with a leader(and it does not matter how long it is) is selective the less chance any one will see an opening..........the only solution as I see it is simple..........Main stem fraser>stationary angling only during non sockeye times.....no flossing = less anglers which means DFO can spend more of there time catching the real culperts who are poaching and fishing in non open times(I wonder who that might be)....So to all you so called fishermen that say your flossing springs and not sockeye seek help!! because deep down you know that when the sockeye out number the springs chances are your going to hook a sockeye........

ps. I hope that was contructive enough for you allwaysfishing and if not "oh well"

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2005, 08:48:26 PM »

I am sorry if you took mesingling you out as picking on you...its nothing personal.  Your statement about the socs should be open for a retention of 2...because some probably die after C&R...that statement BLEW MY MIND!!!!  How can you justify "hooking" one spring, when you hit 5 sockeye  lessening their chance of spawning. 

A shot gun is as selective as flossing.  If you were hunting mallards, would you take a pot shot at 1 mallard surround by canadian geese?  The fact that you would see the goose slain right before your very eyes probably would be enuff for you not to take that shot...with sockeye, you slip them back into the water and your conscience is clean...who knows if they die 5 minutes later in the murky waters of the fraser or 500km up stream on the doorstep of their birth river. 

Your last post says "I didnt intend on hooking 5 socs"..." im hopeing to catch a spring"... bottom line is this shot gun approach in a time when sockeye numbers are questionable...its simply unacceptable.

DFO has asked us not to floss until socs are open and if the numbers are there, they will open it for us.  Can I take on every beak on the bar right now...no, can I change your mind....probably not.  But if my ranting makes 1 or 2 other guys on this board change their minds and not floss when they are endangering socs they cant even keep...well then I think I have made 1 small step forward.

What have you done lately???

PS during the stanley cup riots, would you have looted one of the stores that the rest of the mob was plundering?  If your answer is no, then you cant justify flossing now by saying Cheam is out there raping the system.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2005, 08:55:04 PM »

oh ya, one more thing...should gun manufactures stop making guns because some my friend wipe criminal commits a robbery with a gun of theirs or shoots someone up?

Please, I make a tool for harvesting sockeye (one that is redilly available at any tackle store), its the users responbsibility to use that tool in an appropriate manner, at an appropriate time. 

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2005, 10:04:55 PM »

Gentlemen, gentlemen, let's be civil here. If FishFreak is using 4 feet leaders, he is hardly flossing considering some people use 12 feet leaders. My .02

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2005, 10:21:46 PM »

Thread is temporary locked until the mods have some time to read over what have been posted. Play nice people, we're talking about FISHING, a RECREATIONAL activity that's supposed to make you HAPPY and RELAXED.