Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buntzen Lake  (Read 14968 times)

tommytai

• I'm a llama!
Buntzen Lake
« on: June 27, 2005, 12:01:35 PM »

Is electric motor allowed on this lake ?
What time does the gate open/ close ?

Appreciate all responses.

Roots

Re: Buntzen Lake
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 04:39:08 PM »

Yup. Electric motors are allowed at Buntzen. During summer, the gate opens at 8am and closes at 9pm. If you have any more questions you can phone the Warden's Office at 604-469-9679. Buntzen Lake Info Page

tommytai

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 10:19:26 AM »

Thanks Roots !!

Roots

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 04:50:42 PM »

No problem. If you're trolling and even if you have a fish finder, you still might wanna check out the Buntzen Lake Depth Map. It's in PDF format, so you have to zoom in to actually be able to read it. Good Luck !

Sandhead

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 09:12:16 PM »

When fishing buntzen do you fish the north end or south end?
Ain't no HO like a COHO

Roots

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 10:00:04 AM »

Both I guess... depends on how I'm fishing. Just look for dropoffs and the areas where the water is oxygenated. Hmm....

IamCanadian

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 07:03:07 PM »

What do u usually use for bait? Powerbait...I would think. But can u catch them on shrimp?

thanks. Ian ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005, 07:04:04 PM »

You'll be able to catch them on shrimp, PowerBait, dew worm. The fishing at Buntzen Lake should be very good because the lake was recently stocked with a lot of trout.

IamCanadian

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005, 07:11:26 PM »

I forgot to ask...but the phone number for the Fraser Valley Hatchery doesn't work for me. I phoned in at ten, would it be because it's closed at that time, or that number doesn't work anymore?

Thanks. Ian ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 07:14:38 PM »

You phoned today? Those people do have holidays too you know. ;)

IamCanadian

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2005, 10:32:57 PM »

Whoops, I totally forgot about that. And again, I forgot to ask, what kind of bait is the best for catching rainbows there?

Thanks. Ian ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2005, 11:35:28 PM »

You'll be able to catch them on shrimp, PowerBait, dew worm.

When you reach the lake from the parking lot, proceed to a trail on the right as there are a couple of floating docks where you can fish off. Directly in front of the floating dock, the water depth is ideal. Either cast a float out with a worm underneath it or bottom fish. Either way you should be able to get bites, not just from rainbow trout, but also from pikeminnows. If you have any small spinners, use those too. Further north from the floating docks, you'll also find some shore access that can be productive. Weekends maybe busy, especially if the weather is hot, there maybe swimmers.

IamCanadian

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2005, 10:44:48 AM »

About the trail on the right, how long does it take to walk to the nearest dock? Like 5 minutes? And from reading another site, there's another dock on the northern tip of the lake. Is it accesible by car? Oh yea...what about the dock on the left side, where everyone fishes from? Does that produce good fishing? And since I'm going to go there on weekdays, I don't have to care about the swimmers and the parking lot being overcrowded. ;D. Regarding to the float technique, can i just use a "dibbs" float? Or whatever they're called. The ones that are slim all the way through and has the bright orange tip on the top. And extending from the float is just a small weight and a hook? If that works, would a size 4 hook be too big for a shrimp to fit? And I only need put like 3-4 feet of line from the float, correct?

Thanks. Ian ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2005, 11:19:52 AM »

The floating docks on the right are within sight when you get to the lake. Fish where the fish are, not where the people are fishing. ;) More people fishing does not necessarily mean more fish. Adjust your float depth based on condition, experiment a bit, water condition differs from day to day. Size 4 hook is fine, hoods a shrimp well, but easier to lose the trout. Size 6 or 8 hooks are better for hookups, but the bait does not hold as well. Any float should work, as long as it is appropriate for the fish size. Don't use a huge float, since most fish are between 10 and 12 inches long.

IamCanadian

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2005, 08:11:46 PM »

What if I switch to pike minnows? Would I use a whole shrimp, while still using the size 4 hook? OR would I just use a smaller hook, such as a size 13, and using only half a shrimp? And would it be ok, if I use peanut butter dough? Like...would the fish be biting the dough?

Thanks. Ian ;D