Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buntzen Lake  (Read 15024 times)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: Buntzen Lake
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2005, 01:16:30 PM »

How did it taste?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2005, 01:31:15 PM »

Why is he joking? Just because we are so spoiled with finer eating freshwater species like salmon and trout, doesn't mean there are no other edible species in this province.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2005, 03:47:26 PM »

They don't? What are your reasonings? Have you actually cooked and tasted a largescale sucker, northern pikeminnow and peamouth chub?

Do halibut, sole, flounder, rockfish, cod, lingcod, burbot and many other groundfish look tasty?

We treat our salmon, steelhead and trout like some holy creature, yet we treat those "not so edible" species worse than the crap we dump in our waterways.

60 years ago atlantic bluefin tuna were commercially caught on the east coast only to be processed as pet food. It was only when the Japanese buyers came and bought them, North Americans soon recognized their food value.

How about this one here?

Do you think this one tastes good?

Why is it not ok to handle a released steelhead with dry hand, while some people have absolutely no problem with tossing a northern pikeminnow or sculpin into the bush because they threaten our "endangered species"? Some of the most endangered native fish species are the ones that have no commercial value, yet occupy important ecological niches.

Thoughts of Tuesday.

IamCanadian

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2005, 03:48:54 PM »

Hehe...they weren't too bad! I thouht they were carp, so I told my dada that it was edible. I ate a bit, my dad and my grandma ate a lot :o!  They thought it was good, except that it had too many bone. But if I catch another one next time, I'm not going to steam it. Planning to put it into chinese soup. And what's so disgusting about them? Especially if it comes from untzen? The water is so clear and clean!

Ian ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2005, 03:51:30 PM »

Don't judge the book by it's cover.

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2005, 05:39:30 PM »

I've eaten pikeminnows from Buntzen before -- not ashamed to admit it.  Extremely bony, but otherwise not too bad.  If there was a good way to de-bone these fish I'd see nothing wrong with them.  Maybe I'm unenlightened, but certainly not too picky. :)

IamCanadian

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2005, 07:23:05 PM »

And I forgot to ask that if I plan to fish on the pier located at the right side of the lake, what do I catch? Same things but with more abundance? And would I use the same technique as before, such as using a float or just throwing a powerbait out? MY last question is, has anyone used one of those small floats by Anglers. They're called thills, and are yellow and orange. If u have, are they any good? Cause I should think they would work pretty darn good, for their prices.

Thanks. Ian ;D

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2005, 09:08:49 PM »

OK, I have few of those in my fridge from last trip, still didn't try them, but I will. My 2c about very bony fish would be, get smaller ones and overcook them (best on bbq or frying pan). That way you can even eat smaller bones as they become britle and tasty :) - Though do not burn your fish.

Definitely do not judge the book by its cover. I ate many carp and ugly looking cat fish, which all tasted excellent.