Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Fight  (Read 17504 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder Fight
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2004, 10:44:52 PM »

I don't bet annoyed; I get even ! Suddenly I lose control of my motor coordination. My lines go every which way, over people's line. I develop poor eyesight. I take forever to untangle lines because of my poor eyesight and shakey motor coordination.

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2004, 06:44:16 AM »

Myself I think the only solution is to make Freshwater Salmon fishing 100% C&R.

If they make fishing with a rod and reel 100% C & R then any native fisheries should be banned completly as well.

Neat Freak

• Birdnest King!
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2004, 10:33:48 AM »

It's really sad to hear criticism of newbies. In that light, I guess there are certain people that would prefer that only the elite, experienced fishermen can fish, and the hell with the rest of them. I mean, just because Fisherman A doesn't catch as many fish as Fisherman B, that should entitle Fisherman B a spot on the river? Sounds goony to me.

Look, I know it can be frustrating to have people come late and try to barge into the prime spots. Those people need to told to take a hike - literally! Yes, there are more people than ever fishing, but I still believe there are plenty of locations along the river. You just have to walk a little bit. Leave the prime locales to the gong fest and venture a bit. Breathe deeply, relax, and enjoy what's around you.

mooha

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2004, 11:04:45 AM »

As I drive in from the city ( sorry, it's true) it's frustrating to me that when steelheading I have to leave as soon as I bonk one (or should I say if) . However, it means that my "spot" is cleared for the next guy. If this rule was applied to the floss fest, it would weed out people who are 'goin for the spring'. Not catch and release, but a way to administer those who need help learning some manners.

Sandhead

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2004, 11:58:03 AM »

I had a similar situation regarding the step ladder the other day on the river. I had a older guy and his buddy cast right over top of my head  literally. the guy stood 3 feet above me and casted wildly over my head a couple times, when I looked at him he did one of those avoid eye contact things. I debated whether to go and throw him in the river or tell him where to go.  Eventually he snagged my line so I snipped his mainline and glared. I was almost sure someone one was going to get hit in the head by some lead.

Its amazing how disrespectful and dangerous people can be on the river. And its not like the spot I was at was a extraordinary good fishing spot. I would have gladly moved over a couple of feet to make room for them, but I guess some people prefer to fish from the road....

Ain't no HO like a COHO

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2004, 12:14:09 PM »

Ah yes, tis' the season of crazies again.... Thanksgiving, Halloween and....

daytime soap opera at Vedder ;D

I go by one rule when someone arrives... Simple: Treat others like the way you want to be treated. Newbies, locals, out-of-towners, doesn't matter, a simple greeting at first eye contact starts things off good usually. If not, oh well, I'll live. ;)

I think if you choose to fish in heavily congested portions of the river, you need to expect there bound to be conflicts as we are all different.... Just like driving. Everyone is at the river with a different objective... Some are simply to be there to see what all the fuss is about, some enjoy being very social (um... birdnester, where are ya? ;D ), some are there to relax for the weekend, some are there to harvest, some are there to improve fishing skill, some are there to compete secretly with those around him or her to show off.... ;D If some individual doesn't please you... walk away... the river is huge!

Last Sunday we made the mistake to come down to the Vedder and fished, only to find 40 people at the river before us and before light! After 1 hour of hearing ripping sounds and no action, we decided that was enough and turned the day into a field trip. We drove around to check out other potential spots that maybe our next secret hideout in the future. ;)

Anyways, whatever happened to the fun element in fishing? :o These days I find many individuals, especially the more experienced, choose to turn the sport into some kind of personal battle against the rest of the population that shares the resource with. This is definitely not a recipe for long happy life. ;)

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2004, 12:16:58 PM »

after reading all this frustration it reminds me why I enjoy sturgeon fishing so much with just my family and friends nearby and hardly see anyone........ ;D

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2004, 12:40:26 PM »

i find some of the locals to be the most annoying.

they act like they own the river and are 'quick tongued' to voice negative comments towards people who are not as experienced in fishing.  sometimes they forget, that if it wasn't for the industry (sportfishing),  chilliwack and sardis would still be nothing more than cow pastures overlooking the highway.

Sandhead

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2004, 12:54:48 PM »

I usually try and avoid the crowds as much as possible. I refrain from fishing the vedder on weekends as its too much of a zoo. But recently I've been finding that even weekdays are too busy. It would have been nice to see a DFO officier out there. I have yet to see one ever on the Vedder, unlike when i fish the squamish region where i see them every single outing...
Ain't no HO like a COHO

joedavis

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2004, 03:37:43 PM »

The river is HUGE, and there is no need to fish at the meatholes. I've fished for quite a long time on the Vedder/Chiiliwack and I don't think I know more than a handful of fishermen. I try not to mingle too much.  I am always courteous to others but I usually fish alone or I fish with a couple of  good friends. I like to walk a lot so I can avoid most of the popular runs. There are fish everywhere and all you have to do is to make a few casts here and there. Sometimes you get fish and sometimes you don't, but it's always a pleasure to go out on the river. If the runs gets busy simply move on. You don't need to anchor yourself in one spot in order to bag your limit. The more fish you catch in one place the more people you are going to attract. Peach road was quiet three weeks ago and look at it now. If you fish in the meatholes you will see the uglier side of fishing. Why would you want to put up with that and ruin a good day's fishing? It's supposed to be fun.

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2004, 08:21:17 PM »

i find some of the locals to be the most annoying.

they act like they own the river and are 'quick tongued' to voice negative comments towards people who are not as experienced in fishing.  sometimes they forget, that if it wasn't for the industry (sportfishing),  chilliwack and sardis would still be nothing more than cow pastures overlooking the highway.

Like it's anything more than that nowdays, lol

It is more than that thank you very much  :P

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2004, 09:28:59 PM »

Like it's anything more than that nowdays, lol

It is more than that thank you very much  :P

chilliwack is a beautiful place. but it only thrives because of tourism and fishing. alot of business people know this, but some residents take exception to the onslaught of outsiders "invading" their town and especially "their" river.

they sometimes, take for granted, the millions of dollars (annually) that these people bring with them.

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2004, 11:05:37 PM »

I remember on old boy on the Chehalis one time trying to sandwich in between 2 guys just down from me.
They turned around and snarled at him and he said "There's always room for one more"!
Everyone around started  hooting and shouting No No No .We'd all been there since well before light and he slept  in and decided to go fishing-if he'd been 30 years younger he would have been punched/kicked into the river and spat on-that's what crowds do.

A bonus to using a center pin reel is that I have to do a bit of a 'sweep' cast...anyone within about a 10'6" radius or so is gonna get whacked. 

I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2004, 10:46:42 AM »

Not to mention a spey rod... I need a good 40 feet downstream - anyone that steps in below gets fair warning, then they discover just where I set my anchor for my cast :)

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2004, 11:21:54 AM »

My dad has a picture of him and his best buddy taken in 1937 near the railway bridge with a nice Dolly Varden.  My grandpa used to have a hunting cabin there and I'd like to take my dad back to fish there this weekend.  He hasn't fished the Vedder since he was a young boy.  Unfortunately, I know that part of the river and I don't want to break his heart.  We're going to the Stave via boat.

I hate the Vedder on weekends and sometimes on weekdays.  I try to fish the secluded spots that the rif raf won't use energy to get to.

My dog loves Chilliwack.  Everytime we drive through, she's got her nose to the vent sniffing at the cow smell.  Yum :-X ;D