Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Fight  (Read 17415 times)

Rieber

• Old Timer
Vedder Fight
« on: October 02, 2004, 11:57:49 PM »

We drove under the #1 bridge late this afternoon and found what looked to be four fishermen fighting - over what? Did anybody else see this or knew what the heck was going on. Guys were fighting on the bank and in the river - what gives?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder Fight
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 12:02:28 AM »

Perhaps they were giving group hugs. :D

carpman

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 08:25:05 AM »

I find most people pretty amicable and even helpful.  Always seems to be 1 or 2 people who like to beak off.

They should go carp fishing, its more relaxing  ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 10:06:37 AM »

probably fighting over a spot  ;D  ;D

btw ... this site is dead at 3 am  ;D

Just got home from a night on the town ?

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 10:12:32 AM »

"LONG LEADER...SHORT LEADER...LONG LEADER...SHORT LEADER"

You get the idea ;D

fishermanphil

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 12:55:35 PM »

Two fellas on one side of the river. Three on the other side. One of the two forgets to pinch barb and one of the three hooks up and line goes to one of three to untangle. One of the three (drunk?) sees barb and gives two words of wisdom. Two's tell three's what they think of thier words of wisdom and so on and so on. Three's drive over to greet two's and enforce the letter of the law.

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 01:02:24 PM »

Two fellas on one side of the river. Three on the other side. One of the two forgets to pinch barb and one of the three hooks up and line goes to one of three to untangle. One of the three (drunk?) sees barb and gives two words of wisdom. Two's tell three's what they think of thier words of wisdom and so on and so on. Three's drive over to greet two's and enforce the letter of the law.

That's taking angler education to a whole new level  ::)

The Gilly

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 04:20:44 PM »

Drunk?  At the Vedder? Say it ain't so ::)

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2004, 04:51:59 PM »

So - how did it all end? Did they hug and make up :-*or did someone go home with an ow-wee :'(

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2004, 05:06:30 PM »

Wow, I'm new to BC, and I gotta say, that all this talk about conflict in salmon fishing is making me not too eager to go try it out.  I had been quite excited about it before coming here, but this isn't the first time I've heard of conflicts between fishermen on the rivers.  Is this the norm, or can a person actually expect to *relax* and *enjoy* fishing rivers like the Vedder for salmon?

The Gilly

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2004, 05:17:57 PM »

Yes,  There is lots of good guy's on the river.  If you find yourself around a bunch on no-minds your best to move.  Most people are great and helpfull.  The "nut cases" are usually at the easy to reach spots and they usually look like red necks.

Good Luck

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2004, 05:47:29 PM »

Hey Zaphoid,
Not to say that some rivers are bad rivers, but there are a few particular rivers that recieve more morons simply because of their location, and because they have more fish that other rivers.

I used to have the perception that the only way to salmon fish is to be around fighting red-necks, but the more you fish, the more decent people you meet, and the more rivers and locations you find. I came to realize that there are far more locations without idiots than with them.

Also, everyone has the ability to fish the rivers, some exploit this right more than others and trash them, there aren't many of them, but many of them seem to have additional ideas other than just fishing... ::)

Don't let it put you off, just go out and see for your self, there really is some great fishing to be had  :D
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2004, 10:01:15 PM »

"LONG LEADER...SHORT LEADER...LONG LEADER...SHORT LEADER"

You get the idea ;D

HAHAHAHAHAHA If it was under the Keith Wilson, then Id imagine the argument would be between the 6 ft and 10 ft leader users...  :P  ;)
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2004, 05:12:31 AM »

Wow, I'm new to BC, and I gotta say, that all this talk about conflict in salmon fishing is making me not too eager to go try it out.  I had been quite excited about it before coming here, but this isn't the first time I've heard of conflicts between fishermen on the rivers.  Is this the norm, or can a person actually expect to *relax* and *enjoy* fishing rivers like the Vedder for salmon?

People are generally really nice, as long as your weight isn't touching the bottom of the river people can't chew you out to easy.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2004, 07:26:22 AM »

If I make a bad cast...I will apologise for it.  If I cast a barbed hook by mistake and someone calls me on it....I certainly wouldnt beak off about it.

That run is very much like fishing the fraser: its very conjested, it often attracts the lowest common denominator of fishers, and as is the case here, the concerned parties showed no curtousy for each other. 

Any new fishers reading this thread, do not be too alarmed about this.  its a relatively isolated incendent, between what sounds like a couple groups of meat heads.