Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Fight  (Read 17515 times)

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
Re: Vedder Fight
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2004, 07:35:26 AM »

When I see someone breaking the regs, I'll just get on my cell phone and call the DFO.  I would not bother talking to them about it. This way, there's no conflict.

As far as the way people fish, they are entitled to any way they please -- so long as they are not breaking any regs.  This is respecting the way other people's fishing method --as specified in the fishing reg's hanbook about ethicate.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2004, 07:59:50 AM »

Matuka, two thums up.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2004, 12:27:41 PM »

fishermanphil wasn't there but he almost has the story right. Yes there were two drunks on the Chilliwack side that came over to the Abbotsford side. The older agressive drunk is so fired up that he skids his truck to a stop, jumps out and waits until the one Abby side fisherman turns his back while he is reeling in, then he runs and pushes/launches the fisherman into the river. The other Abby fisherman jumps down the bank to make sure his buddie isn't drowning underwater in his breathable waders.
The drunk then starts yelling "come-on tough guy, you want some of me to". The fisherman in the water has seriously hurt his ankle thinking it was broken and struggles to pull himself out of the water while the other Abby man tries to keep this drunken clown occupied. The drunk grabs the dry Abby man, ripping the strap off his breathables and starts taking swings. The dry Abby man grabs this drunk and pulls him down the bank and proceeds to give him an attitude adjustment. Abby man lets the drunk go and starts climbing up the bank to join the wet Abby man who is now up the bank. The second drunk (who's been observing) takes exception to the fact that his drunk friend just gotten an adjustment, so he tries to kick the head off the shoulders of the dry Abby as he climbs up. Well dry Abby man sees this comming and grabs the leg of the kicker, then grabs both legs behind the knee and launches this clown over his shoulders and onto the rocks and water below. THe clown landed flat on his back and hurt hid shoulder, probably dislocated, by the way he was walking afterwards. By this time wet man and drunk one are both up on the bank and the drunk is trying trying to get ahold of the wet man. Dry man is now steaming and rushes to the top to get this drunk away from his injured buddy wet man. THe drunk gets tries taunting dry man with profanity and insult but dry man won't go for it until drunk man tries a sucker punch. Dry man sees the punch coming, ducks it and tackles the drunk to give him another adjustment. Finally it comes to an end when drunk man doesn't want to play anymore and dry man lets him up. The two drunks finally leave.

What's scary is the complete disregard for life that the drunk man displayed. Deliberately attacking from behind, pushing a fisherman in the river  knowing full well that those breathable will easily fill up with water. Absolutely disgusting. This guy was out to drown wet man. Seriously makes you wonder what the hell is wrong with people.

The drunk man claims to have fished the river for twenty years so the locals will know who this is. He drives a 1990's white extended cab Dodge Dakota with green pinstriping and a large old dent on the box, passenger side. This truck has a white canopy with a boat rack as he had a green pontoon boat strapped to the top. If you see this vehicle or know who he is don't turn your back on him.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2004, 12:46:30 PM »

Classic case of "liquid courage". Too often I see anglers drinking while fishing. They get tanked over the course of the day and then drive home endangering himself and others on the road. Why do they feel a need to drink to have a good time ? >:(

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2004, 01:05:31 PM »

IEven though I tend not to think like a legal eagle...if I was "wet Abby man" I would enjoy taking a lot of money from Drunk Chillie man for assualt with intent.

Stupid tool sounds like he got what he deserved
You don't make friends with salad.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2004, 01:13:41 PM »

You know it makes me wonder what really happened to the two or three drownings that have occurred on the river lately.

the_pict

• glenmorangie- fishing -triumph motorcycles
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2004, 01:55:45 PM »

fishin hooligans, now ive heard it all , reminds me of the casuals(soccer hooligans) back home, they go to all the away matches just to fight with the locals. wankers everywhere these days ;)

Redeye

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2004, 02:43:03 PM »

Just wondering... so which guy was it that was fishing with the barb???

The wet guy?  The dry guy?  Drunk #1?  Drunk #2?

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2004, 03:13:59 PM »

Wet guy failed to pinch his barb completely down. Drunk#1 hooked up and reeled in wet guys line then bit the hook  off the leader. Wet guy had a problem with this and words were exchanged to a point where drunk team drove up the dike, over KW bridge and down the other side. You would think this would give the guy time to cool off but just the opposite. Drunk team actually stopped other vehicles on the Abby dike trying to catch the wet guy. Just bloody crazy.

mooha

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2004, 05:58:15 PM »

It took me a while to get the "lay of the water" when I first started fishing (a long time ago ;).  EVERYONE has to start sometime, give newbies a break, maybe you can learn something.

I'm sorry, but the worst part for me? The locals (or so they look) who think they OWN the river! Some of these people are out there 30 or 40 days a year  or more and yet can't/won't give anyone else a chance to fish any of the better holes. In the regs it says that we should move along up the bar after hooking a fish. Yeah right, I see it all the time. That would be fun on say Herrling but in the smaller holes why not???

Not everyone has been so lucky to have a teacher, if you have, share your good fortune!

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2004, 07:22:08 PM »

I'm sorry, but the worst part for me? The locals (or so they look) who think they OWN the river! Some of these people are out there 30 or 40 days a year  or more and yet can't/won't give anyone else a chance to fish any of the better holes. In the regs it says that we should move along up the bar after hooking a fish. Yeah right, I see it all the time. That would be fun on say Herrling but in the smaller holes why not???

Actually what's said in the regs are guidelines-there is no force in law that requires people to be courteous.
Also-have you given any thought to "Where does it all end"?
How many newbies can be accommodated?
There's no more riverbank today that there was 25 years ago but there are many many more times as many people.
One doofus was seen last year using a stepladder to fish over other people-that's what it's become in some places.
Would you give up your spot so the ladder using doofus can have a place to fish?
I remember on old boy on the Chehalis one time trying to sandwich in between 2 guys just down from me.
They turned around and snarled at him and he said "There's always room for one more"!
Everyone around started  hooting and shouting No No No .We'd all been there since well before light and he slept  in and decided to go fishing-if he'd been 30 years younger he would have been punched/kicked into the river and spat on-that's what crowds do.

mooha

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2004, 08:40:01 PM »

Sorry, you're right. In the reg's book, but not one. ooops

I agree that there are alot more people out there fishing, and the same or less space. And, that there are some people who are unpleasant to be around. But why fish a meat hole if crowds aren't your scene?

It would be nice if we didn't all have to arrive before dawn to get your "rock" ( or stepladder!!! Holy s***) I know I'm being a little idealistic, but would be nice if we could figure out a way to deal with the crowded places. Without resorting to weapons and/or stadium seating that is!

My fishing Bud is of the theory that the whole sockeye meat fish debacle has attracted a whole new, very different complexion to fishing around here. The attraction isn't the process, it's filling the freezer.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2004, 08:41:46 PM »

Having said that, some of the more "experienced" guys are starting to move away from the "common spots" and are exploring rivers. They are often able to find spots that few people fish, but can be quite productive. It's the same with all fisheries, I've got spots in the ocean that few/no people know about for the simple reason that I have taken the time to explore a bit.

It's true that there isn't any more river space than there was 25 years ago, but there are some parts of rivers, and even some rivers that few people fish, and it's not because of a lack of fish, it sometimes just due to lazyness, soemone fishes near you and the only way people seem to think they can solve the problem is by yelling at them. Perhaps taking the time to have a quick quiet word with them and explain what they just did. Try to live with it, and move on as a final resort.

But then again, what do I know, I'm just a kid...
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2004, 08:49:50 PM »

But then again, what do I know, I'm just a kid...
We were all Kids once and no one here is criticising your ideas.
Myself I think the only solution is to make Freshwater Salmon fishing 100% C&R.
Then it'll be just people who love the outdoors and the demographic that  mooha is talking about can crawl back under their rocks.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2004, 08:55:15 PM »

Hey Sam, coming from someone who doesn't eat salmon, I agree fully. But then it'd be a challenge to get dad to drive me to the river...only a few months until the licence... ;)
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote