Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, September 29th 2004  (Read 11170 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder River September 29th
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2004, 09:58:46 PM »

Gordie,  I think what you are observing is a variation on "dead floating' technique.  What happens is that the lure or bait would bounce aroung the bottom as it partially drift.  When the weight get parially snag the pulling motion to unsnag would entice the fish to strike.  Hence, that same unsnagging action also sets the hook.

That a new one on me. ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2004, 10:36:15 PM »

Gordie,  I think what you are observing is a variation on "dead floating' technique.  What happens is that the lure or bait would bounce aroung the bottom as it partially drift.  When the weight get parially snag the pulling motion to unsnag would entice the fish to strike.  Hence, that same unsnagging action also sets the hook.

That a new one on me. ::)

You're talking about this article? The last two paragraphs.

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2004, 11:31:19 AM »

Yes, Rod.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2004, 02:58:27 PM »

Ok I can buy into this method using a lure or a blade but if using just wool it would be just you know what in most cases. ::)

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2004, 03:33:17 PM »

No Chris.  Dead floating technique has nothing to do with snagging or flossing.  I'd been using this technique for the last 25 yrs. or so.  It works on walleye, pike, muskie, bass, salmon and many others.  You can use lures or bait --it doesn't matter.  It works well when you are using roe to catch salmon.  The movement, I think, creates a now or never proposition to the fish and the fish's instincts take over.

1.  Is it the TRUTH?

By Herbert J. Taylor

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2004, 04:44:19 PM »

This is a new one to me too, and I am not entirely sold on this idea yet either.  Setting your float 6 inches deeper than the water is much different then setting it 6 feet plus deeper.  Lifting or raising a rod tip as Vic says is also much different then the two handed strike I see with this 'method' Im currently exploring.

What is the need for a float if its just going to be 'dead' anyway??  ;D j/k

I have found slightly dragging bottom, for example at a tailout, to have scored a fish. But never dragging so much as to have to constantly strike and pull at it to get it off the bottom.  I am a fan of changing a presentation yes,  but not to the point that Im breaking off on the bottom and foul hooking/flossing fish at an unreasonable rate.

Being honest, I do wonder on the times at a tailout drift when Ive hooked a fish. When the float goes down I lift up gently to determine if it is a fish or bottom as Im well aware it is probably a rock, but on the uncommon times it does go down, it is often a fish.  I still dont think they are grabbing it after the float goes down as the float rarely goes down in the first place so the occurances of me 'lifting up on it' are few.  When the fish is there, it is there immediately as far as I can tell and isnt grabbing after I pull out off the rocks.  But if this method does work, then wow, as the ratio to hooks ups to 'lifting up' is fairly high.

Im respectfully curious, Matuka Jack, at how many foul hookings do you experience with this dead float method fishing salmon in a river?  I guess this depends on how you free the hook from the rocks, something Id assume would be more effective (bite friendly instead of snag friendly) if done gently instead of a nostrils flairing, two handed strike.  Fishing this way in a lake for pike and bass etc would be similar to buzz bombing and fishing jigs I would assume?
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2004, 05:30:36 PM »

On the river the flow rate is different on the bottom than it is on the surface.  The bottom of the river with large rocks have some dead spot where fish rest.  The float makes your presentation get drag by the faster waterflow on the surface.  You don't really use the float as indicator of strike.

On the lake where there is not much water movement the float is used as a way to deflect the angle of the rod movement.  So, the jerking motion of the rod translate to a more vertical movement of your presentation.
1.  Is it the TRUTH?

By Herbert J. Taylor

JP PATCHES

• Awaeyegoyemugye
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2004, 08:18:54 AM »

Sounds like someones trolling! Any more biters?

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2004, 09:30:06 AM »

Sounds like someones trolling! Any more biters?

Actually I think he's float fishing  ;D

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2004, 09:41:48 AM »

Bug Pumper, Fish Assassin, I agree on both replies.

Happily there has actually been times when Ive been getting fish and the guy fishing next to me fishing too deep was receptive to my respectful suggestions. Nice to see them get into a fish and not have to waste time with the foul hooks, getting snagged up, and breaking off so frequently. The added bonus of no more ripping sounds from striking all the time makes a calmer place to fish.

To share techniques and help each other is part of fishing the way I learnt it. I like it when I can do so.

Totally agree with you.  And this site is about sharing information in a freindly manner.  When I was first introduced to river fishing, I was told that if you were not on bottom you were not catching fish.  20 years later, I have come to the conclusion, thanks to advice from other anglers , some of whom are my freinds to this day, that if you are on bottom, you are snagged.  Fish primarily look up.  If they choose, they go for it.  Please don't slag me if I choose to use a long leader in very select conditions.  You won't find me with a leader longer than 18" in a run like lickman.  Dead slow is the only place that I have found them effective, and not on the bottom.  It works for me.  I will still use long leaders in those very few conditions (there is only one place on the vedder if find it usefull).  Those ripping sounds are from snaggers.  You can observe them all day "swinnging for a home run" and it bugs me too.  There is a sifferent feeling from a rock to a fish and you will never learn the difference if you're slamming every time there is a bump.  I'll see you on the river & we can share some good times.