Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: West Van. Saltchuck OCT 2 & 3  (Read 1369 times)

FISHIN MAGICIAN

West Van. Saltchuck OCT 2 & 3
« on: October 03, 2004, 11:29:48 AM »

Hello Everyone!   ;D

I managed to get out on Saturday. We fished from 9 to 7 pm. Results were very good. We landed 2 chum, 1 chrome 6 lb Hatchery Coho, and one 28 lb White Spring (not so chrome).  ;D

The gist of it is a long leader, 7 to 9 feet behind a HOT SPOT flasher, anchovy or herring, and trolling in 70 to 100 feet of water.  ;)

I saw a local charter fleet, this one boat in particular-- called the Salmon Slayer--, and two other boats the Chaos, and Orca do quite well.

We watched the Salmon Slayer nail 4 chums ranging from 10 to 15lbs, 2 they got on a double header, and add 2 springs to the bag as well, one about 28 lbs and another about 18 lbs the guide said.  ;D  :D   Turns out the name of the firm is Bonnie Lee Charters.  I also saw the PREDATOR with David Korsh on board, Predator Charters,  and he hooked and landed at least 3 springs that I saw too!  :D

As for the rest of the fleet...I saw probably 15 springs caught and half dozen chums, and a dozen coho.

I called up Bonnie Lee Charters and spoke to the owner this morning--Kevin  and he reports that there have been quite a few fish over there recently. He confirms that there are quite a few fish over there and that fishing right now is excellent as most trips are tying into 3 or 4 big springs a trip. He confirmed that his boats did very well last night...and that quite a few chums and wild coho are over there right now as well as CHROME springs that have just arrived. He recommends the FLOOD TIDE, and the EBB has been quite productive as well. Anchovy or Herring he recommends both! :) He characterizes fishing as VERY GOOD right now. I agree!

Anyhoo....I went over to Ambleside shore this morning..Sunday OCT 3...and I couldn't believe what I saw...I counted 120 boats as of 11 am...and I saw at least 4 fish caught. Then my buddy called and said that he was out on the water RIGHT NOW  and that he had seen probably 20 springs hooked and landed by 10 am, the same number hooked and lost, and maybe a couple of dozen nice Coho hooked and boated.

120 boats between the Lions Gate and the Pink Building...talk about COMBAT FISHING!  :P

Anyways folks, this has been one of the better fall fisheries off the mouth of the Cap in recent years and the size and numbers of the fish seem to be very good.

Hooking the wild Coho and Chums seems to indicate A LOT of Fraser River bound fish are getting pushed by the tides to West Vancouver.

I may get a chance to go out on Wednesday..so I look forward to that!

Tight Lines Everybody!!!

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
Re: West Van. Saltchuck OCT 2 & 3
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 11:44:43 AM »

Wow great report... Thanks

FISHIN MAGICIAN

Re: West Van. Saltchuck OCT 2 & 3
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 04:54:40 PM »

Hello Everyone! :)

Just a fun addendum to fishing report.

Apparently the 120 boat count was conservative on Sunday, as the one of my fishing acquaintances was on the water as well.

He reports boating 4 chums 10 to 15 lbs, all chromers.
In addition, he said that during the course of the day, he estimates that he saw better than 40 springs caught, and he released a 10 lb Wild Coho! :) All in all, if he saw 40 springs, there must have been TONS of fish there.

In his opinion, that was the best spring/chum  fishing he had heard of off West Vancouver this year-- given the number of boats, which he estimates by far exceeded the largest number of boats fishing the West Vancouver area on any given day this summer.

Barry states that he only knows of 2 other days where fishing was better locally, and that report goes back to 3rd week of September off the T10 Marker/Sandheads and there were "springs everywhere!"

Anyone needs any more info....instant message me.

Tight lines,