Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, September 29th 2004  (Read 11154 times)

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
Re: Vedder River September 29th
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2004, 02:57:08 PM »

Yup!  Deep slow slots (no riffle).  If you know Allison Pool ::) I'm talking much slower drift (about 1 mile per hour).  I prefer spots on the Vedder/Chilliwack and Chehalis that are tough to get to.  I fished limit hole once about 15 years ago and won't be back.  I fish for the enjoyment of it and don't need the BS that goes on up there.  There's lots of river to fish.
As for wool, I like using it because it's clean and effective.  I can't stand using roe, but I do break down from time to time.  I started as a fly fisher and that's probably why.  If fish will bite featers, why do you need bait.  I'm going to try roe sacks this year and see if I like it better that way.

Tight lines!

JP PATCHES

• Awaeyegoyemugye
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2004, 03:15:47 PM »

I agree Grumman, if a fish will bite feathers why use roe. Also, if a fish will bite short leaders why use 6-10 ft? hehehehe

Koho

• I'm an alpaca!
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2004, 03:28:35 PM »

Yeah, I don't use roe often too grumman.  Using wool or spoons means more time your lure is in the water.
"I'm having fish tonight!"  -Bruce, the Shark in Finding Nemo.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2004, 03:39:14 PM »

AHHHH!  Enough already!  I'm feeling persecuted and I don't even snag Coho (sockeye I will admit to flossing).  On Thanksgiving weekend I'm going to pre-tie 12- 12" 10lb. leaders for me & my dad.  I'm also going to use roe.  However, my bellypack is full of wool & it's going to come out sometime during the day ;D

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2004, 08:04:02 PM »

Ya I agree, lets not go to a flossing debate. I have to add though that I don't find roe that messy, mine stays on for a long time. I think split shot is the way to go, its all I use, with a  #3 drennen.
Fish on!

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2004, 08:46:47 PM »

As many are aware  ::), my opinion on long leaders is not a fond one.  ;D  In the Vedder they are useless as they whip around uncontrollably and are hard for a fish to  willingly grab if it is even in the strike zone.

But tongue in cheek aside on such topics, I would like to know what the deal is with loooooonnnnnggggg floats. 

For example, I was watching a guy fishing below the Vedder Br in the slot against the rip-rap.  The water here is about 4 feet.  He was fishing about a 30" leader and a rod length (10 ft) of float above the weight.  During the drift, the float did nothing but bob peacefully on its side.  It only went under when the weight got hung up on the bottom for longer then 10 seconds.  Any fish stopping the weight by grabbing the hook would have let go FAR before the float could indicate anything.  When the float did go down, quite frequently per drift which I assumed to be due to the bottom, there was a huge belly in the line between his weight and the float.  When he struck which also was very frequent, it made a huge RRRRIIIPPPP!!!! sound which scared the old lady who happened to be walking her dog behind him. This probably doesnt do much for the mood of any fish in a mile radius either.   Even though I was observing this with as open of a mind as possible, I frankly could not see any more sense in it now then I do any other time.

I see many many people fishing the Vedder this way.  What is the thought on this?  Even though Im being silly in my example of this situation, I am  genuinely curious so please dont get mad at me thinking Im starting a flossing debate.  ;D 

Also, if Im hijacking this topic, sorry. Maybe Rodney would like to move it someplace more appropriate?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2004, 08:48:37 PM by 2:40 Gordie »
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2004, 10:12:36 PM »

Good point Gordie. I see it all the time. I would like to think it's ignorance but I suspect that it's another flossing technique. The float appears to make it look like the angler is float fishing

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2004, 10:23:47 PM »

Wow Gord, excellent topic. Basically these guys just don't know how to drift fish, I can't say it any other way. I see it all the time, I don't think its always intentional but most of these guys are flossing. You can see thier float bouncing and dipping all the way down the drift. They have a float on but they are actually bottom bouncing. They give a big swish of the rod every time the float goes down from getting stuck on a rock. Maybe they have'nt been shown how to fish properly and just need a friendly suggestion. Fishermen tend to have a big ego often and don't like to be given tips, but if you are catching fish consistently next to these guys and strike up a friendly conversation they will listen to a few ideas. - such as keeping the wieghts off the bottom so your bait is just above it, right in the strike zone. With your float now sitting straight up and drifting freely, there's no question when the float goes down-it's a fish.
Fish on!

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2004, 11:09:17 PM »

Bug Pumper, Fish Assassin, I agree on both replies.

Happily there has actually been times when Ive been getting fish and the guy fishing next to me fishing too deep was receptive to my respectful suggestions.  Nice to see them get into a fish and not have to waste time with the foul hooks, getting snagged up, and breaking off so frequently.  The added bonus of no more ripping sounds from striking all the time makes a calmer place to fish.

To share techniques and help each other is part of fishing the way I learnt it.  I like it when I can do so.

JP PATCHES

• Awaeyegoyemugye
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2004, 07:39:04 AM »

Bug Pumper, 2:40 & FA you guys are right on the mark. You don't need super long leaders to floss. WOOL by itself is always the main ingredient. Flossin' can be done with a 12" leader. Tiny pieces of wool that look like river flotsam is a deadly fouling tool. The fish do not move when it comes & bam they're on. I know fish will take wool by itself, but more often than not they are fouled. Use roe, fish eat roe.

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2004, 07:03:52 PM »

It's hard to fish roe when fishing so deep as it falls off due to all the striking.

If you leave the roe in the sun for a week, maybe it would work alright though...  ;)

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2004, 07:33:30 PM »

Gordie,  I think what you are observing is a variation on "dead floating' technique.  What happens is that the lure or bait would bounce aroung the bottom as it partially drift.  When the weight get parially snag the pulling motion to unsnag would entice the fish to strike.  Hence, that same unsnagging action also sets the hook.

I read an article about this by Vic Carrao.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2004, 08:01:18 PM »

I know what you are saying jack but thats not whats going on in these observations, its just plain inexperience.
Fish on!

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2004, 08:54:22 PM »

In cases like that, I never give unsolicited advice on how to fish.  I feel that it is part of 'respecting the way other people fish' --as stated in the fishing regulations hand book.  If they ask, I would tell them --otherwise, I would just l laugh internally as they are providing me with free entertaiment.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2004, 09:33:10 PM »

I agree, its usually not a good idea to offer advice when it hasn't been asked for.  If someone see's that you are doing well and asks " what are you useing?" then you have a chance to help out. Catching talks and BS walks.
Fish on!