Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2023 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 41655 times)

Old Blue

No fish out there, better to stay at home until at least October 11 at 12:14pm then it'll be good.

It's fishing not catching you goof balls...just get out there and do it

Darko

• Old Timer

It's fishing not catching you goof balls...just get out there and do it
I hate that line but I agree with the sentiment. Too many people want to be told the exact best time perfect bait whatever which doesn't exist.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

armytruck

• Old Timer

Seems to be pretty tight lipped around here 🤔 lol .
Was a particularly slow day for me today, a few chrome pinks , and some others landing very few coho , smaller that the previous weekend with larger bucks in the flow . Very busy today, not surprising.
Fish are spooked and not willing to even check out a gob of roe going by . We need rain , and plenty of it . Doesn’t look good for that either.
Was a good day nevertheless.
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

canucksfan233

Was a particularly slow day for me today, a few chrome pinks , and some others landing very few coho , smaller that the previous weekend with larger bucks in the flow . Very busy today, not surprising.
Fish are spooked and not willing to even check out a gob of roe going by . We need rain , and plenty of it . Doesn’t look good for that either.

I agree, landed 2 wilds and a pink and lost another ho. Quite slow, need rain and color in the water...

Darko

• Old Timer

similar story. Fished all day Friday no biters. Fished roe, beads, blades, spoons you name it. Lots of chinook mid river. Even Friday each run had 7-12 people. Good to know it's not just me. Feels like every time I open my phone somebody is posting photos of hatchery coho and chinooks  :-X
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 04:35:39 PM by Darko »

spoiler

The problem is that the water is low and clear and almost every piece of water is loaded with people that stay all day and bombard the fish from dawn till dusk. I see a lot of long leader fishing and fish being hooked in all parts of their body which really creates chaos when the fish are being played. That stirs up the pool which effects the rest of the fish. Personally, if I think the fish I have on is foul hooked which is usually pretty obvious, I try to break it off. I feel there's no point in putting the fish through any additional stress by playing it to exhaustion. This last week I watched countless people play foul hooked fish them net them and drag them on the rocks prior to releasing them or in a lot of cases bonk the fish before being told that they are not allowed to keep the fish.
So it's no wonder people are finding the fish tight lipped!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

It was pretty good where I was today. The problem is that nobody was tagging their licences after landing their chinooks

Darko

• Old Timer

It was pretty good where I was today. The problem is that nobody was tagging their licences after landing their chinooks
x2 I have noticed the same

Phronesis

there are lots of adult chinooks in the system than jacks, atleast thats what i have noticed

Wade

got to the river 5:30am today, the spot was already packed, stood at the tail end of the run thinking might be a skunked trip, got one bite surprisingly was a nice chinook doe which was exactly what I wanted…others were getting coho bites but not as frequently as yesterday, all bites stopped around 8am, packed up and went home…

cammer

• I'm a llama!

The problem is that the water is low and clear and almost every piece of water is loaded with people that stay all day and bombard the fish from dawn till dusk. I see a lot of long leader fishing and fish being hooked in all parts of their body which really creates chaos when the fish are being played. That stirs up the pool which effects the rest of the fish. Personally, if I think the fish I have on is foul hooked which is usually pretty obvious, I try to break it off. I feel there's no point in putting the fish through any additional stress by playing it to exhaustion. This last week I watched countless people play foul hooked fish them net them and drag them on the rocks prior to releasing them or in a lot of cases bonk the fish before being told that they are not allowed to keep the fish.
.      100% correct!  The RIVER BARRISTA’S who froth the water by whipping,  the long leader dodging the fish are subjected too , the playing of foul hooked fish , all these aspects screw you completely out of any possible success at biting fish ,  so you unfortunately have to go find water where this isn’t happening to have any success !  The way I see it fixing this will never happen

dave c

I am shocked at how many flossers are out there. Used to be you would see the odd one and you could try to educate.  Yesterday I was on a run where I saw at least  a dozen guys with 8 -10 ft leaders below their mainline of 3ft.  This was in 3 - 4ft of water.  Would have needed a bull horn to educate.  Frustrating as hell! >:( >:( >:(

Phronesis

Went out yesterday and took home 3 chinooks, released one chum and lost a chrome spring. Water is still low and clear.

I spoke to somewhat two new anglers who were flossing, told them about cons of such method and how short floating can land him more fish, he just nodded and continued with his long leader .....sigh

Requesting Rodney to put out an educational video and share them in Facebook too, if theres atleast 10 people willing to change thats still some win

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Requesting Rodney to put out an educational video and share them in Facebook too, if theres atleast 10 people willing to change thats still some win

It's coming, everything has been in the work with Tourism Chilliwack and DFO, just taking awhile to finish unfortunately. Hopefully the end of this week before Thanksgiving.