Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2023 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 41666 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Just got worse in the last 30 minutes...

too many people wading farther upstream...
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Nothing compared to what it was over the weekend.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Water cleared up this afternoon.

Darko

• Old Timer

Water cleared up this afternoon.

man you're really making me wanna skip class and go cast some lures :o. Beauty coho wow.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

man you're really making me wanna skip class and go cast some lures :o. Beauty coho wow.

Don't skip school to go fishing like me when I was in uni... You'll have lots of time to fish afterward. ;D

That fish yesterday was not gonna get away. These fish have been chasing lures aggressively this year, which I find is unusual for this early in the season.

Wade

Is there a spring-chum hybrid now in the river? hooked up one yesterday, about 80cm long and 30cm tall, fights harder than the same size spring bucks, buddy hooked up another one today, the fight was insane…and they jump…never seen this kind of monster before…

Darko

• Old Timer

Is there a spring-chum hybrid now in the river? hooked up one yesterday, about 80cm long and 30cm tall, fights harder than the same size spring bucks, buddy hooked up another one today, the fight was insane…and they jump…never seen this kind of monster before…
Wonder what the regulations for that would be  ;D
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Jelly_

Im assuming chums are in the vedder, but not in great numbers?

psd1179

• Old Timer

They usually fight harder been snagged

canucksfan233

Anyone been to the river last couple of days? Heading out on the weekend (weekend warrior here :/) but heard it's been pretty hit or miss since the rain.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Anyone been to the river last couple of days? Heading out on the weekend (weekend warrior here :/) but heard it's been pretty hit or miss since the rain.

It depends on what you are targeting. The river is choked with chinook salmon after last weekend, so catching them is not an issue throughout the system. Coho salmon fishing is impacted by the abundance of chinook salmon, as well as those who are targeting chinook salmon. Your likelihood of catching coho salmon goes up by staying away from the crowd where the runs are not disturbed.

canucksfan233

It depends on what you are targeting. The river is choked with chinook salmon after last weekend, so catching them is not an issue throughout the system. Coho salmon fishing is impacted by the abundance of chinook salmon, as well as those who are targeting chinook salmon. Your likelihood of catching coho salmon goes up by staying away from the crowd where the runs are not disturbed.

Yea shoulda specified I target coho. Heard its a lot of nooks in there making coho fishing tough

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

A little tougher, but not impossible. I managed to lose five in a row this morning, landing ratio of the season went from 100% to 60% in less than 24 hours. ::) The fish were pretty aggressive, could see them chasing my spoon. Just 100ft above me people were hauling in chinook salmon left and right, while leaving the tailout undisturbed thankfully.

canucksfan233

Yea I usually target the tailout when people go more towards the head. Landed 2 ho's last weekend but will see how this one fares :)

Wade

hooked that one in the jaw with Rodney’s favourite 10mm mottled red bead, shocked ppl around everyone thought that was a huge spring but turned out to be a fairly fresh chum, three of those similar sized fresh chum buck were caught yesterday and today at the same spot all hooked in the mouth, they fight harder than springs, probably cause they were fresh? little marble still largely grey/silver…