Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BC Fishing Regulations Question  (Read 18796 times)

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
BC Fishing Regulations Question
« on: August 17, 2004, 06:02:59 PM »

Hi,

First off, I want to say thanks to Rob and others who have obviously put a ton of time and effort into putting this site together.  I have just moved to BC, and am fairly new to fishing in general, and this site has been the most valuable resource I can find online.

In any case, to my question:

I was fishing Sasamat lake from shore yesterday, and a guy came up to me and we started to chat.  Being from Saskatchewan, my tackle box is full of barbed, treble hooks.  My understanding in BC is that it's illegal to fish with anything other than a single, barbless hook in streams and sloughs.  As I understand the regulations, it is legal (albeit discouraged) to fish with barbed, treble hooks anywhere else, except where specifically noted otherwise in the regulations.  Anyways, he took a look in my tackle box, and told me that all of my treble hooks are illegal in BC, and that I need to fish with single hooks everywhere in BC, including lakes.

Who's right, him or me?

gmoney

• I'm going to try to catch a fish!!
Re:BC Fishing Regulations Question
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 06:11:48 PM »

i think him, i know you are suppose to use single hooks only, everywhere,even in ocean.  you can use barbed for ocean fishing except for salmon, that is all i know, Im sure im correct on this.

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 06:36:24 PM »

OK, thanks.  I find it perplexing though, that everywhere I go to buy fishing tackle in BC, 95% of everything for sale has a barbed, treble hook attached to it.  How can this be if it's illegal?

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 07:37:26 PM »

Only in BC could this happen....and maybe Nfld., nowhere else.  :-*
"One man of courage makes a majority"

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 07:57:27 PM »

Very strange indeed.

I notice the following in the definitions section of the "Freshwater Fishing Synopsis, 2004-2005", available from

http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/pdf/provincial_regulations.pdf

"SINGLE HOOK: A hook having only one
point. (In contrast, a treble hook is a hook
having three points on a common shaft).
Note: use of a treble hook is permitted
unless “single hook” is specified."

The only places I can see "single hook" specified in the Lower Mainland, other than mentions in specific fishing spots is in all streams and sloughs.

This seems to stand in contrast to what I'm being told.  If anyone can help me sort this out, I'd sure appreciate it.  I'd hate to lose all my gear and my truck over something preventable like this.

Thanks.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 08:00:08 PM »

OK, thanks.  I find it perplexing though, that everywhere I go to buy fishing tackle in BC, 95% of everything for sale has a barbed, treble hook attached to it.  How can this be if it's illegal?

Because the suppliers are targetting the larger US market that doesn't care.  You have to remove the treble, and put on your single yourself.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 08:00:41 PM »

Maybe you've been told the wrong info ;)  Keep the reg's in your tackle box and ask the no-it-all to show you the reg. and you'll be happy to follow it.

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 09:21:37 PM »

That's what I was leaning towards myself. :)

Do you use treble hooks in lakes in BC?

fishin_chick

• Shut up and fish!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 09:24:48 PM »

I dont know the regs for sure...but I believe it is pretty well discouraged.  (if it is legal at all)
Hi ho Hi ho...It's off to Fish I go!

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 09:25:38 PM »

No...single barbless all the way!

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2004, 09:36:43 PM »

Well, the majority seems to lean towards single barbless, but the regs. seem to say otherwise.  I'm going to phone the Surrey Fish and Wildlife Regional Office and see what they say.  I'll let you all know what they tell me if you're interested!

For the record, I've been using and plan to continue using single barbless for all catch and release fishing in any case.. I just want to know what the law actually is.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2004, 09:54:39 PM »

Page 14 of the 2004 Freshwater Fishing Regulations Synopsis states: "The use of single barbless hooks is now mandatory in all BC streams."

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2004, 09:56:37 PM »

Yes, I did notice that regulation.  What I'm trying to determine is what the regulation is for lakes.

TtotheE

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2004, 10:40:47 PM »

Many lakes have their own regulations attached.  For example Green Timbers lake in Surrey is single barbless,  but its not even listed in the regs book.  I believe barbed hooks are allowed in lakes unless otherwise stated. Always check the regulations for the waters you'll be fishing.
I've never thought of using a treble hook because there don't seem to be fish large enough to hook themselves on em  ;D (where I go at least).  Many have stated their opinions and I certainly agree, keeper or not,  the barbless hook gets more solid hookups because of better penetration.  Plus,  how fun is it to fish when you know the fish can't get away while you're playing it cuz you've got a big barb on it?  ;)

Mabelingwane

• Mabelingwane Hunting safari's
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2004, 07:50:33 AM »

Zap...welcome to the board and to BC.

IMO and not to sound like a stick in the mud but to prevent any provocation or misunderstanding ( guys get throws in the river for not listening in this province.), it is easier to get rid of the trebles and barbed hooks... doesn’t matter where you are fish, Fresh or chuck ( Except for bottom fish). The regs are a guide line, and what you will find out in the future is your understanding and others understanding of the regs are two different things. Everyone sees and understands them a different way...

At the end of the day, barb less is more of a challenge in any case.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 07:52:31 AM by Mabelingwane »
A strong man won't let anyone get the best of him... but a man of strength gives the best of himself to everyone.