Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BC Fishing Regulations Question  (Read 19043 times)

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
Re:BC Fishing Regulations Question
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2004, 07:58:51 AM »

I appreciate your comment, but holy cow, it sounds like a threat.  The basic gist of what you're saying, if I understand it correctly, is that even if the regulations say that a barbed treble hook is OK, some angry fisherman will see it and "throw me in" the lake.

Is this what you're saying?

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2004, 08:00:37 AM »

Zaphod,
If you were asking me if I use trebbles in BC.  The answer is no.  I always use single barbless hooks.  No problems in getting the reg's wrong and make realeasing a fish much easier on the fish.  ;)  If you went to Sasamat L.  I would assume that you reside in the Coquitlam area.  Go down to Babcock Fly & Tackle and inquire about their Fly tying/Fishing lessons.  They usually employ people like Phil Rowley etc. as teachers and are well worth it for the novice fly fisher.

By the way, the most productive area of Sasamat is out in the middle.

Mabelingwane

• Mabelingwane Hunting safari's
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2004, 08:05:55 AM »

ZAP....

No, No.... it is not a threat at all 8). It has been a long joke that members joke about that.. Please dont see it as a threat..

I have fished a few lakes and been confroned about a rapala that has trebles on, I cut them off even though the regs had indicated nothing about trebles or singe or barbless.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 08:11:04 AM by Mabelingwane »
A strong man won't let anyone get the best of him... but a man of strength gives the best of himself to everyone.

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2004, 08:18:38 AM »

Grunman,

Thanks for the advice on lessons and on Sasamat.  Unfortunately I'm limited to fishing from shore, but I was able to cast out into some pretty deep water casting from the east shore.  Seems to get deep quick there.  I also can't believe how clean, clear, and warm that water is.

Mabelingwane,

I see.  Well, if nothing else, I'm impressed by the collective ethics of fishermen here.  As it's starting to seem like it is in fact legal to use barbed treble hooks in many areas, I'm surprised by the overwhelming response by fishermen against them.  I figure that either some COs have put one hell of a scare into people over it, and created confusion over the law, prompting everyone to switch to single barbless, or people here just have the good sense to realize that it's a good idea from a conservation standpoint.

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2004, 11:26:35 AM »

Oh, and Grunman:

I take it you've done some fishing in Sasamat?  Would you mind telling me what you were catching, and how you were catching it?  I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Zaph.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2004, 02:16:15 PM »

Rainbow trout.  Fly fishing with various bug imitations.   Depends on the time of year and active hatches if any.  Try a small leach or dragon fly pattern.  If you are fishing from shore with casting gear, try a worm on a 6XL hook below the bobber.

You can also fish Lafarge Lake by Coquitlam Town Centre.  Fish the bay on the south end with a worm & bobber.  The lake also flyfishes ok.  But, I would not eat anything from Lafarge Lake :-X
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 02:18:38 PM by grumman »

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2004, 03:16:52 PM »

Grunman,

Thanks for the info.  I have never tried fly fishing, but from what I've been told it sounds like a good time.

Gmanfxp,

Thanks.  This was my understanding of the regulations too.  The way I understand it, if a single barbed/barbless hook is required in a lake, it will be noted under the "Gear Restrictions" column in the regs. for that particular lake.  Is that your understanding?

- Zaph.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2004, 03:43:44 PM »

I figure that either some COs have put one hell of a scare into people over it,

CO?  What's a CO?  ;) ;D

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2004, 03:53:52 PM »

He's the guy who, I'm told, can go so far as to take my truck away if I violate any of the regs (and so it should be, as far as I'm concerned).

That's why I'm being so anal (can I say that on this site?) about knowing what the regs are before heading out.  Regs are quite a bit less restrictive where I'm from, but we don't have near the number of fishermen per fish as there is here in BC.

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2004, 04:39:33 PM »

Do you know if there is a straightforward way to tell if a lake is private?

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2004, 04:40:44 PM »

He's the guy who, I'm told, can go so far as to take my truck away if I violate any of the regs (and so it should be, as far as I'm concerned).

That's why I'm being so anal (can I say that on this site?) about knowing what the regs are before heading out.  Regs are quite a bit less restrictive where I'm from, but we don't have near the number of fishermen per fish as there is here in BC.

I understand and it's good to see you being dilligent about making sure you follow the regs.  My joke was because CO's are rarer than the Cultus Lake Sockeye run  :(

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2004, 04:45:34 PM »

That's too bad.  If they're going to write us a magazine full of regulations to read, they should at least enforce them.

Oh well.  A relative of mine in Saskatchewan just learned the hard way about sporadic enforcement.  Fished Diefenbaker Lake every year for 30 years, religiously bought a fishing license every year, and never saw a CO.  Absent-mindedly forgot to buy a license last year, and got caught by a CO after cleaning 30 perch he pulled out of the lake.  CO took all the perch and slapped him with a $1,000 fine.  He certainly didn't forget to buy a license this year.  ;)