Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BC Salmon - an historical perspective  (Read 6500 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: BC Salmon - an historical perspective
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2020, 07:18:29 PM »

in areas of this world that are not governed by western  capitalism have still depleted their stocks.
If those countries exist, to Milo’s point re globalization, I bet you’ll find foreign owned fleets plying their waters, or the catch being destined for foreign, not domestic, markets.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2020, 07:32:54 PM »

Fair enough
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 08:55:44 PM by wildmanyeah »

Morty

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2020, 08:55:51 PM »

......, maybe the pandemic is a blessing in disguise. Time will tell.
I think the Summer and Fall weather this year is also somewhat of a blessing to the salmon populations.  Evidenced by higher, cooler water level  in most of the returning salmon waterways, and surplus of windy & rainy days keeping many of us off the Strait and rivers.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Morty

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2020, 09:05:30 PM »

If those countries exist, to Milo’s point re globalization, I bet you’ll find foreign owned fleets plying their waters, or the catch being destined for foreign, not domestic, markets.
in comparison to that, it's believed by some historians that after they obtained rifles, Canada's aboriginal peoples were a major factor in the near extinction of the prairie buffalo populations they depended on.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2020, 09:06:47 PM »

Another and Important Perspective
by Bob Hooton
A long time friend and wonderfully outspoken advocate for wild steelhead, Ehor Boyanowsky, is a man of many and diverse talents. His professional qualifications include graduate degrees in human and social psychology. Until his recent retirement he was a faculty member at Simon Fraser University. He is a past president of the Steelhead Society of BC and now resides on the banks of his all time favourite river, the Thompson, near Ashcroft.

Ehor has never been one to shirk responsibility to say what wouldn't be said otherwise. He follows (fish and environmental) politics closely and sometimes has views and opinions that don't survive political filters or conform with the views popularized by mainstream media. Earlier today Ehor forwarded me a copy of a piece he prepared and distributed to a long list of personal contacts. I read it and contacted him immediately to seek approval to share it here. For those who might like to broaden their perspective on where we find ourselves today and what may lie ahead, enjoy.

"Today’s news that non-aboriginal Nova Scotia lobster fishermen have escalated their protest to destruction of boats and catch against a massive lobster fishery mounted out of season by aboriginal fishermen is heartbreaking, but sadly, expected, even inevitable. Nova Scotia is perhaps the most peaceful idyllic place in Canada, even North America. I found its people welcoming of strangers rather than clannish when I moved there many years ago.  It is why several members of my family moved back there recently to escape the social, political and climatic uncertainties, the turmoil besetting the normally preferred promised lands of BC and California.

Why inevitable? Because as research all over the world, including  some conducted by my colleagues at the University of BC, Hong Kong and by me has repeatedly recorded: when an identifiable minority, often ethnic, is repeatedly awarded special status, privilege or even just preference by government and the courts to compensate for past injustices, it creates resentment and psychic tension.  When the tensions reach breaking point, sometimes over an unrelated issue, the result is violence toward those minority groups seen as privileged.  Accompanying that violence is a growing hatred where none existed before, a psychological phenomenon justifying the violence in the minds of the perpetrators as they witness themselves committing acts they would never before have contemplated.

Witness the slaughter in Rwanda where hundreds of thousands of Tutsis were murdered, cut to pieces with machetes by their once friendly neighbours even though many of them had intermarried with the marauding Hutu majority. Why? Because over the last century, the colonial Belgians had shown preference in treatment, education and government jobs toward the lighter skinned Tutsi minority. But that was in the distant past? No, scarcely 26 years ago while the United Nations, the world stood idly by.

But that was Africa you might argue where the people are traditionally tribal, backward, suspicious of outsiders, believe in witches and demons, even today. As anthropologist Claude Levi-Straus observed, humanity ends at the outskirts of the village. Why almost every tribal group’s name for itself means simply ‘the people’ and so everyone else is a nonperson as the Japanese perceived the Chinese in Nanking during their invasion. Again wanton massacre ensued.

But alas, not just in Africa or Asia. So too in every country on earth. As the ironically, relatively (by comparison to what followed) benign shroud of communistic  equality slid from Yugoslavia, Serbs, and Croats resumed ethnic identities, resurrected old grievances, descended into age old enmity and slaughtered each other and Muslims in their midst. Not simple tribal people but those with PhDs, lawyers, physicians and poets driving BMWs not oxcarts and not worshipping obscure idols.

Judges in Canada have been in a frenzy to promote the welfare of aboriginal people. Alas, there is now a whole generation of judges and lawyers trained very narrowly and badly by crusading law professors, demagogues who do not promote logic and deduction and the serious negative implicatons of favouring aboriginal plaintiffs, but declare by fiat that aboriginals have a special position in society based on ancient treaties or even merely statements made by the colonial English in a time when those governing officials, now foreign to Canada, gave what they saw was a crust of bread to a minority of people: hunting and fishing rights in exchange for their loyalty in conflicts with the Americans.

They did not envision a mosaic of tribal groups that are part of larger Canadian society, the fastest growing sector in Canada, even as they reproduce at the highest rate and incorporate nonaboriginals into their group. Two years of living common law with a status aboriginal makes you eligible for aboriginal status and all of its privileges as my recent mover, a pleasant young man of Russian descent recently joyfully declared: “No more taxes, no more hunting or fishing licences.” I was happy for him but I silently wondered if he knew the societal unrest he was contributing to.

Pierre Trudeau, the elder, in his wisdom, despised by many for being unfeeling, (entirely ‘left brain we say in psychology) was prescient, saw the coming conflict and societal disarray and instructed his apprentice Jean Cretien to patriate the constitution from Britain and with it to eliminate any special status for aboriginal people, for Quebec, for anyone. Today in hindsight it is clear how much conflict, resentment and mistaken reliance on the federal government for bounty at the individual and provincial level that would have avoided. Alas, a national alarm was sounded by men of limited vision with perhaps misguided, kind intentions, personified by Ed Broadbent of the NDP… and Trudeau backed off.

His offspring Justin, now PM in a  confusing frenzy to ‘reconcile’ with aboriginal people has rescinded the aboriginal accountability bill that forced chiefs to show where they are spending taxpayers’ money (hopefully for housing, sewage and health rather than personal condos in the USA), he visited the family of an armed home invader (who had posted his intentions to rob on Facebook) who was shot (but not those innocent ‘settlers’ who were invaded), and he appointed as the leading lawmaker in government an aboriginal lawyer of little experience who had written a long, dense book about how to disassemble Canada and return it to aboriginal ownership.

As a former ten year member of The BC aboriginal treaty negotiation advisory committee I urged the BC government to proffer land, money and administrative expertise to aboriginal groups but not to isolate them nor to perpetuate special rights and privileges. Clearly the federal courts did not follow such a plan and have created a situation that has emboldened aboriginals to undertake untenable lobster fisheries against Federal Fisheries scientists’ recommendations, to allow the killing of endangered species of salmon, eg Thompson River steelhead (and putting the evidence on Facebook without repercussions) and to kill large game, even those endangered, in and out of season.

The result is a widening of distance between status aboriginal people and the rest of Canada that if history repeats itself here, even in “the peaceable kingdom” will lead to hatred and increasing violence. It always has in the past."

Ehor Boyanowsky

October 15, 2020

Morty

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2020, 09:49:37 PM »

No there wasn't a Fraser River but there was a Columbia River and salmon bearing rivers in Oregon. Most of Eastern BC's watersheds flowed south through the Columbia including the upper Thompson watershed. Likewise rivers of now inundated coastal margins also had salmon. (Greenland has rivers with huge populations of Arctic Char). Haida Gwaii was never glaciated and neither was much of Alaska  That's likely why the Fraser and other coastal rivers formed after the ice retreated were so quickly colonized by salmon. It also shoots your little 'theory' in the foot. (Not dead just wounded).

Interesting rant RalphH but had little to do with my point (wasn't a theory), which was - the salmon have not been here (in the Fraser system) forever as some people like to say.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2020, 09:56:38 PM »

Another and Important Perspective
by Bob Hooton

"Today’s news that non-aboriginal Nova Scotia lobster fishermen have escalated their protest to destruction of boats and catch against a massive lobster fishery mounted out of season by aboriginal fishermen is heartbreaking, but sadly, expected, even inevitable.

The result is a widening of distance between status aboriginal people and the rest of Canada that if history repeats itself here, even in “the peaceable kingdom” will lead to hatred and increasing violence. It always has in the past."

Ehor Boyanowsky

October 15, 2020

For a start the Micmac Lobster fishery is not illegal. It is quite legal.The current Liberal government can take some blame for not negotiating how it should be run. Previous governments of at least 3 parties made the same strategic error. History shows what the courts will impose is harder to administer than what can be negotiated in good faith. Blaming this situation and the violence on the FN rights is a vicious twist of justice and logic. As for what Boyanowski and apparently Bob Hooton believe on these matters, it was quite easy to have such opinions as long as the Federal Crown denied First Nations the opportunity to plead their case in court. The Constitution Act of 1984 removed that Crown prerogative. It was the cost repatriating the constitution that P.E. Trudeau was willing to pay. Both men often write like nostalgic white men who would prefer to live in  the 1950s and 60s (when good faith was absent), not the 21st century.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 07:26:55 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2020, 10:00:36 PM »

Interesting rant RalphH but had little to do with my point (wasn't a theory), which was - the salmon have not been here (in the Fraser system) forever as some people like to say.

so what - it matters nothing. It is a 'theory' much like Ann Elk's theory of the Brontosaurus. There may have been a Fraser River that gathered melt water from the Cordillera Glacier and ran it across land now covered by the sea. That river likely had salmon in it as did the Columbia.  There has been what we call a Fraser River on and off for about 60 million years at least. At one time it gathered much of the water that now flows east through the Peace River.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 07:27:30 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Morty

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2020, 04:40:15 PM »

And the Fraser used to flow out through Port moody, and the Fraser used to flow out through Cloverdale to Boundary Bay.
But there still weren't any salmon in the ice-filled Fraser River basin when all of BC was covered in thick ice!!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2020, 09:59:28 PM »

And the Fraser used to flow out through Port moody, and the Fraser used to flow out through Cloverdale to Boundary Bay.
But there still weren't any salmon in the ice-filled Fraser River basin when all of BC was covered in thick ice!!

... and Burnaby Mountain is a piece of the ecocene paleo-delta  of the ancient Fraser River. There have been rivers flowing here at least since then and there were rivers here during the Pleistocene. The area was not always covered in ice ( do you understand what an interstadial is -  we live in one now). The now inundated coastal margins never were covered in ice. There is also so much still to be learned it makes little sense to make social and political conclusions.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/evergreen-line-drill-cores-reveal-wealth-of-geological-history-sfu-study

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/ancient-bc-footprints-earliest-known-north-america-1.4599568  - human habitation on coast 13,000 years
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 03:59:27 PM by RalphH »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2020, 12:33:33 PM »

The government could easily just give them a modest living wage. Why use a resource just give them the money.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2020, 06:01:34 PM »

in comparison to that, it's believed by some historians that after they obtained rifles, Canada's aboriginal peoples were a major factor in the near extinction of the prairie buffalo populations they depended on.

Some historians they must be!
Until the arrival of the Europeans, natives hunted in a sustainable way. Period.
This is probably much closer to the truth:

Quote from Wikipedia: "The species' dramatic decline was the result of habitat loss due to the expansion of ranching and farming in western North America, industrial-scale hunting practiced by non-indigenous hunters, increased indigenous hunting pressure due to non-indigenous demand for bison hides and meat, and cases of deliberate policy by settler governments to destroy the food source of the native Indian peoples during times of conflict."

And then there is this:

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2016/05/the-buffalo-killers/482349/

Do you really, REALLY believe that the natives were a MAJOR factor? ::)

« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 06:34:12 PM by milo »

Morty

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2020, 08:14:31 PM »

Some historians they must be!
Until the arrival of the Europeans, natives hunted in a sustainable way. Period.
This is probably much closer to the truth:

Quote from Wikipedia: "The species' dramatic decline was the result of habitat loss due to the expansion of ranching and farming in western North America, industrial-scale hunting practiced by non-indigenous hunters, increased indigenous hunting pressure due to non-indigenous demand for bison hides and meat, and cases of deliberate policy by settler governments to destroy the food source of the native Indian peoples during times of conflict."

And then there is this:

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2016/05/the-buffalo-killers/482349/

Do you really, REALLY believe that the natives were a MAJOR factor? ::)

The U.S. circumstances were different.  I was referring to Canada.

Tylsie

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2020, 08:21:00 PM »

Not sure how the topic of bison came up but yes, indigenous people were a major factor in their decline. Were they the deciding factor? Absolutely not. That would go to habitat destruction; but they were a factor. Same as with our local salmon. Did First Nations cause the collapse of Pacific salmon stocks? No, that would go to the development of Nylon nets made worse by the development over spawning grounds. Has Native Fishing played a major contributor? Absolutely! In fact, it will probably be the final nail in the coffin after all non FN are no allowed to catch any. Many stocks are alREADY functionally extinct. How many Thompson Steelhead are there left? Between 2 and 4 hundred? I am in my mid 30s and have seen its practical extinction in my life time and it wasn't sport fishing that caused it; and it won't be sport fishing that kills the last one.

But this topic did raise an interesting point with me. I am always intrigued by the notion that Europeans brought the great scourge of greed with them. The simple matter is that it is a human nature. Every group, around the world, harvested as much as their technology would let them. First Nations did not take exactly enough fish to see them through the winter, they took everything they could harvest and carry. It may come in handy; for trade, winter lasts longer than usual, drought, poor salmon returns the following year.., who knows. You took what you could when you could! That was life.

But I do find BCs oral history very interesting. Take grizzly bear for example. If I go Alberta, Washington, Yukon, Alaska or Oregon and talk to the indigenous there (which I have) they openly admit the killed everyone they could because the were a threat and competition. In BC they many groups claim they were sacred and never hunted, only watched. But lets jump back to the bison. As I mentioned earlier, many First Nations in BC argue they only took as much salmon as they needed, used every part of the animal and that was always the way. Now look at the First Nations that lived on the planes. Some of the Nations specialized in driving huge herds of Bison off of cliffs; killing way more animals than was needed or could be processed in a reasonable amount of time before waste set in. At "Head smashed in Buffalo Jump" the bone deposits are 12 metres (39 feet) deep. Seems strange, to me at least, that in every state, territory, or province surrounding BC the history varies so much. Here an animal was only killed out of necessity and never more than needed. Yet, all around us, those areas that land disputes have been settled (terribly and horrifically in many instances, but still settled) the picture is complete opposite. Almost like when there is something at stake human nature comes through no matter the ancestry.   

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2020, 09:44:09 PM »

It was F.G. Roe, author The North American Buffalo which was,  for a quarter century or more, the definitive work on the topic, who suggested that the  the level of exploitation of the buffalo by the High Plains Native culture (ie the Sioux, the Cheyenne, the Crow) may not be sustained in the very long term. He never said it was the case or would happen. The High Plains buffalo were wiped out solely by commercial  hunting. It was US Government policy. They hunted the buffalo to extinction so the Natives would be forced off the plains and into the reservation system and the land could be settled by white people. Once that happened the habitat was destroyed.

Roe was a layman, not a professional historian. I read the book but don't have it in my collection anymore. I don't think anyone buys his suggestion today.

Kind of interesting that 20 years ago or so it was suggested that is was the arrival of humans that wiped out the Pleistocene mega-fauna (ie Mammoths). Not as highly considered today and there is a new theory that an exploding comet (similar to dinosaur extinction) and the end of the last ice age was the cause.

The high plains culture was produced by the introduction of the horse to North America. Before that all the big native cultures mostly grew corn in river valleys. Driving game off cliffs is certainly not unique to North America. It wasn't as relied on during the late High Plains culture as it was well before that.  It's not a reliable source of food but a feast or famine strategy. Agriculture always provided a more reliable, if less healthy food source.

The Pacific Coast is perhaps the only example of a developed culture that grew that way on a gathering subsistence strategy. Salmon and clams were the protein staples plus there was many vegetable supplements as well.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 07:56:51 PM by RalphH »