Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Keeping sleeves dry  (Read 1847 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Keeping sleeves dry
« on: October 26, 2020, 09:32:00 PM »

I've been struggling with the same fishing jacket issue for years: In heavy rain a bit of water creeps in both cuffs. Over time the water will wick up, and eventually my sleeves are damn up to the elbow. Obviously the problem is when fishing often your arms are mostly at an upwards angle holding the rod/reeling, so water does not have much difficulty creeping in.
I tried doing my cuffs are tight as they would go comfortably. This helped a bit but cuffs/sleeves would still get a bit wet.
The other day tried a different idea that worked fairly well. Bought some Grease Monkey brand black nitrile gloves. These gloves are extra thick and extra long. They will go over the cuffs of my jacket and then 2-3 inches up the sleeve. Water poured down but little if any got inside the arms of the jacket. I found the material too tacky on my pin reel so I cut the pinky and ring finger off mid way so I could ride bare skin on the reel while casting + braking a fish.
Curious what other people do with this water wicking issue.

jim

Re: Keeping sleeves dry
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 06:52:00 AM »

Thinking about this issue also. Usually I use multi pair of gloves, or mitts. Making some wrist cuffs to change often also.
Thinking about nitrile gloves under the fingerless wool mitts...will give that a try.
Some rainjackets, like my black Rapala one, have adjustable wrist cuffs to tighten up, slow the trickle down effect.

stsfisher

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 08:40:43 AM »

I've been struggling with the same fishing jacket issue for years: In heavy rain a bit of water creeps in both cuffs. Over time the water will wick up, and eventually my sleeves are damn up to the elbow. Obviously the problem is when fishing often your arms are mostly at an upwards angle holding the rod/reeling, so water does not have much difficulty creeping in.
I tried doing my cuffs are tight as they would go comfortably. This helped a bit but cuffs/sleeves would still get a bit wet.
The other day tried a different idea that worked fairly well. Bought some Grease Monkey brand black nitrile gloves. These gloves are extra thick and extra long. They will go over the cuffs of my jacket and then 2-3 inches up the sleeve. Water poured down but little if any got inside the arms of the jacket. I found the material too tacky on my pin reel so I cut the pinky and ring finger off mid way so I could ride bare skin on the reel while casting + braking a fish.
Curious what other people do with this water wicking issue.

I just go home, been fishing too long to have to sit in weather like that all day :)

Shinny

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 06:52:50 AM »

A friend I fish with cuts the tube part of socks off. He uses those on his wrists. They soak up the water. When they are soaked he puts them in a ziplock and brings out a fresh pair. Seems to work ok. I’ve used sweat bands in the past, does the same thing.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 07:44:06 AM »

I use a merino wool base layer under my Simms jacket. If water creeps up my sleeves, I find the merino wool warms up from my body heat and even tho I am wet, I'm still warm around my wrists. Even with the velcro around my wrists are as tight as it can get and my jacket being a Simms G4 Pro, water will like you said wick up my base layer. The merino wool base layer really does make a difference

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 10:29:52 AM »

wearing thin rubber gloves over the sleeves. Prevent fingers from roe stain and no water in sleeves.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 06:16:18 PM »

try rolling the end of your garment sleeves back from the wrist so it doesn't poke out from the jacket cuff. I haven't had much problem with my old Simms Packlite shell as the sleeves are extra long. With my new Patagonia SST it usually is due to - loose cuffs (tighten the velcro) or the sleeves of the under layers poking out.

Other jackets I had the water literally rolled down past my elbows leaving my arms soaked.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.