Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2020 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition upd  (Read 63377 times)

fic

• Old Timer

Hey Rodney,

Where's this year water conditions thread  ;D?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 2020 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition upd
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 01:44:32 PM »

When I catch the first coho salmon of course! ;D

I'll put one up tonight. Really busy these days so the forum gets neglected unfortunately.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 07:20:33 AM »

Wow, lots of moisture coming! It looks like the river will turn into moca latte for a week.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/weather/british-columbia/chilliwack

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 09:26:30 AM »

Been following social media pages and the fence posts on the river at all the popular spots is at a all time high! Saw a overhead pic from the Kieth Wilson bridge on one of the pages and it was elbow to elbow as far as the eye could see. Lol. One guy is even swimming the pools this year with diving equipment on filming all the salmon and picking up all the snagged up tackle! Lots of posts about all the unethical angling going on. People using long leaders and bouncing betties. Garbage everywhere from coffee cups to fishing line to one guy left his fishing licence behind in a small pile of stuff. It really makes me sad to see a total lack of respect for our salmon and our beautiful river.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 09:36:25 AM »

Leaving cultus on Friday morning there were cars and trucks parked everywhere on the yarrow side. Looked like a Saturday peak season!

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 09:37:16 AM »

Been following social media pages and the fence posts on the river at all the popular spots is at a all time high! Saw a overhead pic from the Kieth Wilson bridge on one of the pages and it was elbow to elbow as far as the eye could see. Lol. One guy is even swimming the pools this year with diving equipment on filming all the salmon and picking up all the snagged up tackle! Lots of posts about all the unethical angling going on. People using long leaders and bouncing betties. Garbage everywhere from coffee cups to fishing line to one guy left his fishing licence behind in a small pile of stuff. It really makes me sad to see a total lack of respect for our salmon and our beautiful river.

The low water level forces the fish into fast deeper head of the run. the congregation of angler chunking everything has spooked the fish. the snaggers are still doing well. the way is side drifting by bouncing the weight on bottom while has a little control of the float.

Once the river is in better shape, the short float fishing will produce more.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 10:35:02 AM »

The low water level forces the fish into fast deeper head of the run. the congregation of angler chunking everything has spooked the fish. the snaggers are still doing well. the way is side drifting by bouncing the weight on bottom while has a little control of the float.

Once the river is in better shape, the short float fishing will produce more.
I agree. Also forgot to mention in my previous post. Anglers reporting foul hooked fish getting bonked and when confronted guilty angler pretends to not understand English!  ::)

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 07:58:40 PM »

I agree. Also forgot to mention in my previous post. Anglers reporting foul hooked fish getting bonked and when confronted guilty angler pretends to not understand English!  ::)

My experience on Sunday was old gentleman bonked coho snagged on cheek. He told me it was close enough in perfect English.

dobrolub

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 08:42:35 PM »

Considering the options that decision might have been the best outcome for all. I wouldn't look down on it.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 08:47:14 PM »

My experience on Sunday was old gentleman bonked coho snagged on cheek. He told me it was close enough in perfect English.

Honestly. Who cares. Was he intentionally flossing ? Hatchery fish is a take home fish. There are so many other important conservation concerns out there. A hatchery Coho was hooked in the cheek ? Sounds like dinner to me.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 06:53:23 PM »

I blame the FB sites to a certain extent but Covid is the biggest factor in the crowds we are seeing.  We used to joke about KWB every year.  Now there’s four or five of them.  Runs that were busy but not insane are now insane.  I heard that some people were coming to the river at 12 midnight to claim their spot.  With it comes the garbage, snagging and poor sportsmanship.  It’s much more magnified now.  Opening the Fraser would help.  Hopefully the Stave will start to see some more fish and spread out the crowds.  Pretty sad out there and pushing me more towards interior lake fishing.

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 07:41:55 PM »

Honestly I went last Friday in the canal and got there at about 6:30 AM. There were already 30 guys at the spot that I went to, no social distancing, shoulder to shoulder so I left and went upstream. Only 2 others at the other spot and lots of fish to ourselves. 1 of the guys even took a nap on the shore, woke up and caught a coho right after...haha. Just walk the river and find another spot.... ;)

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2020, 10:41:33 AM »

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fos2_Internet/Testfish/rptdtfdparm.cfm?fsub_id=242.

Anybody noticed the Test Fishery is showing a lot more fish compared to the last few years?  Could this be a rebound year?

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 10:54:04 AM »

http://bcrfc.env.gov.bc.ca/warnings/advisories/flood_109.htm

High Streamflow Advisory from the River Forecast Centre for Vancouver Island and South Coast. Issued 10:00 AM, Sept 23