Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack and Chehalis River summer chinook salmon fisheries  (Read 42409 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack and Chehalis River summer chinook salmon fisheries
« Reply #135 on: July 10, 2020, 03:33:47 PM »

I don't know if there are any DNA samples of these fish collecting dust some where in a DFO desk or storage area ... it would be interesting to compare it to Nooksack fish.  As to where they spawned there are records of fish being seen in the 4 mile jam area (main river) fairly recently, app 15 years ago.
A long deceased Soowahlie elder, Francis Kelly, told me they were quite common in the early 1900's, but I suppose all salmon stocks were back then.

These fish entered the Chilliwack River in June and spawned late September .. how does that compare to Nooksack chinook?

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #136 on: July 10, 2020, 04:39:57 PM »

I don't know if there are any DNA samples of these fish collecting dust some where in a DFO desk or storage area ... it would be interesting to compare it to Nooksack fish.  As to where they spawned there are records of fish being seen in the 4 mile jam area (main river) fairly recently, app 15 years ago.
A long deceased Soowahlie elder, Francis Kelly, told me they were quite common in the early 1900's, but I suppose all salmon stocks were back then.

These fish entered the Chilliwack River in June and spawned late September .. how does that compare to Nooksack chinook?
Very similar timing - although they seem to enter the river into July - at least that's how long it takes them to show up at the hatchery.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #137 on: July 10, 2020, 04:45:22 PM »

Fished from 11 - 2 today. Started at the crossing, then Peach, then Hooge Rd, then the run above the train bridge. Short-floating roe. Couple bites in the fast water around Peach but no hookups. Not sure if it was an exciting fish or not ;) Water visibility around 18" depending on location. Water height was 2.25m and dropping. Here are some photos so that people who aren't familiar with the graph can see what 2.25m looks like.

Vedder Crossing

Peach Rd side channel... forgot to take photo of the actual river ::)

Hooge Rd/Bergman

yoda

« Reply #138 on: July 10, 2020, 05:33:38 PM »

Thank's for the update on the river. Will be out there in the near future. Looks pretty green even though it is up.
My usual rule of thumb was as soon as cultas lake sockeye were noticable flipping around, then the reds were somewhat more there at deep heads of pools.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #139 on: July 10, 2020, 07:16:00 PM »

Thank's for the update on the river. Will be out there in the near future. Looks pretty green even though it is up.
My usual rule of thumb was as soon as cultas lake sockeye were noticable flipping around, then the reds were somewhat more there at deep heads of pools.

The colour was a gorgeous blue-green today but the vis wasn't great. Didn't see any fish jumping, other than one random pikeminnow who decided to put on a show...

avid angler

« Reply #140 on: July 10, 2020, 07:18:43 PM »

Just an FYI the July summer sockeye are chilliwack lake sockeye, not cultus sockeye which return later in summer/early fall.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #141 on: July 11, 2020, 01:36:17 PM »

Was there today ( Chehalis)and what’s abundantly clear is The river is dying a slow death to sports fishing! Traditionally a slow period late June but to not see smolt schools or resident trout or any fish tells me predation amongst these classes is rampant and probably a good source of the recent declines in adult stocks! At least mosquitoes are still thriving

I know some comments followed these observations. I just wished to note that yesterday I spent a few hours on the Alouette above 216th. I had barely a bite nor did I even see a small trout, a whitefish or even a sucker or other coarse fish. I seldom fish that river this time of year but when I did there were at least some little cutties about. The chum run has declined considerably and last I heard the ARMS hatchery had difficulty collecting it's broad target. No FN nets or fishery on this little river best I known.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

stsfisher

« Reply #142 on: July 11, 2020, 07:37:34 PM »

I know some comments followed these observations. I just wished to note that yesterday I spent a few hours on the Alouette above 216th. I had barely a bite nor did I even see a small trout, a whitefish or even a sucker or other coarse fish. I seldom fish that river this time of year but when I did there were at least some little cutties about. The chum run has declined considerably and last I heard the ARMS hatchery had difficulty collecting it's broad target. No FN nets or fishery on this little river best I known.

Ya the Aloette has been in rough shape for a few years now. Guys that used to fish it for cutties religiously have been shaking their heads in disbelief.

As a side note, lots of whitefish today on the chilliwack nymphing.

yoda

« Reply #143 on: July 11, 2020, 09:00:37 PM »

Just an FYI the July summer sockeye are chilliwack lake sockeye, not cultus sockeye which return later in summer/early fall.

That is too funny. When i typed chilliwack sockeye, i thought it wasn't right so i changed it. Thank you for clarifying that for my tired brain :)

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #144 on: July 12, 2020, 09:02:57 AM »

On a side note, why are jet boats allowed on the Chilliwack river? Seems both stupid and dangerous, especially once the weather warms up and more people are in the water. Saw some yahoos when I went fishing the other day, going full speed up one of the runs then doing a sloppy doughnut that scraped up and over the edge of one of the gravel bars. It's so disruptive, rude, and dangerous >:(

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #145 on: July 12, 2020, 09:30:51 AM »

Ya the Aloette has been in rough shape for a few years now. Guys that used to fish it for cutties religiously have been shaking their heads in disbelief.

As a side note, lots of whitefish today on the chilliwack nymphing.

The ARMS hatchery used to collect cutthroat brood stock then raise and release them directly into the river. That stopped quite a number of years ago. Now the entire program for the Province has been cancelled. Major housing developments throughout the upper watershed can't be helping the situation either. Likewise there is a lot more angling pressure as the populations of Pitt Meadows and Maple Ridge increase.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 11:32:59 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #146 on: July 12, 2020, 11:10:53 AM »

Fished Chehalis on Friday morn.  I have a picture of a log jam that I believe is a barrier to fish passage especially as it drops and it is dropping fast !  This log jam is big and the river goes right through it.  See google earth or I could post a pic.??? This may prevent fish from getting past this now and into fall and winter

hammer

« Reply #147 on: July 12, 2020, 01:17:23 PM »

Is that on the lower river? In my experience...a log jam does not impede migration, on the contrary it acts like break in the current and major resting cover. You would be amazed what fish will get through. That said, I haven’t seen it

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #148 on: July 12, 2020, 04:59:44 PM »

.....two log jams in the bottom from what I've encountered  last couple of years....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #149 on: July 16, 2020, 11:17:55 PM »

Fished Chehalis on Friday morn.  I have a picture of a log jam that I believe is a barrier to fish passage especially as it drops and it is dropping fast !  This log jam is big and the river goes right through it.  See google earth or I could post a pic.??? This may prevent fish from getting past this now and into fall and winter

I'm assuming the jam would have established this past winter (early January) in that major flood. Steelhead didn't seem to be having any issues getting through it this winter and spring in high, nor low water. We haven't had any significant water events since then. It's possible a few more logs piled up on the front end of it during freshet, but I doubt it would have changed the migratory dynamics of it. Obviously I could be wrong, but I would say the lack of fish has much more to do with poor survival/returns (or possible a lower river net?) rather than the log jam.