Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack and Chehalis River summer chinook salmon fisheries  (Read 42387 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Chilliwack and Chehalis River summer chinook salmon fisheries
« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2020, 01:33:08 PM »

Hey Ralph, do you support FN using nets on these 2 systems we are talking about.

You know I was an accountant for over 30 years and this question reminds me of the old joke:

A mathematician has coffee with an accountant and asks:

"What's 2 plus 2?"

The accountant thinks a minute and says:

"What kind of number did you have in mind?"
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

stsfisher

« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2020, 01:43:09 PM »

Actually I don't believe FNs are even required to obtain a license to angle for pacific salmon. This is something that changed within the last couple of years though any previous requirement for them to have a license may have not been enforced for some years before.

Like I said nothing stopping them from joining us!

poper

« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2020, 01:56:42 PM »

You know I was an accountant for over 30 years and this question reminds me of the old joke:

A mathematician has coffee with an accountant and asks:

"What's 2 plus 2?"

The accountant thinks a minute and says:

"What kind of number did you have in mind?"

I knew you would have a response like that, good one.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 02:04:52 PM by poper »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2020, 02:00:00 PM »

Tensions are rising,” Malloway added. “If we don’t find a way to work better together, some nations may begin to authorize their own fisheries.”

Another bully, using the right words for media. Media eats this up because it is main stream right now, no need to follow up or look into how people have been trying very hard the last 10+ years to work together. Comments like this tear that work apart, and do no good for the fish.

No matter how much you work together at the end of the day the pie still needs to get divided up. That’s where things tend to blow up.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2020, 02:11:34 PM »

Tensions are rising,” Malloway added. “If we don’t find a way to work better together, some nations may begin to authorize their own fisheries.”

Another bully, using the right words for media. Media eats this up because it is main stream right now, no need to follow up or look into how people have been trying very hard the last 10+ years to work together. Comments like this tear that work apart, and do no good for the fish.

Reminds me of the demonstration fisheries put on in previous years by rec fisher advocacy groups:

2017: https://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/2017-08-31-fraser-river-demonstration-fishery.html
2019: https://www.theprogress.com/news/demonstration-fishery-puts-lack-of-fishing-opportunities-on-the-fraser-in-focus/

Slightly different wording on the rec side but the words are still chosen to catch peoples' attention and ensure media coverage. I'm sure we'll see more of the same from all user groups in future as everyone's slice of the pie dwindles. It's depressing :/

stsfisher

« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2020, 02:28:53 PM »

No matter how much you work together at the end of the day the pie still needs to get divided up. That’s where things tend to blow up.

2 different pies being discussed here.
Pie#1 = Fraser River stocks of concern. This pie has been sliced to allow FN harvesting on on a diet, no large slices, but many small ones.
Pie#2 = Tributary Hatchery stocks that has been sliced up even small to allow all Canadians on a diet a slice if they so please and are lucky enough find one under a rock.

I'm willing to share my potential slice of pie #2 without blowing anything up :)

stsfisher

« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2020, 02:34:04 PM »

Reminds me of the demonstration fisheries put on in previous years by rec fisher advocacy groups:

2017: https://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/2017-08-31-fraser-river-demonstration-fishery.html
2019: https://www.theprogress.com/news/demonstration-fishery-puts-lack-of-fishing-opportunities-on-the-fraser-in-focus/

Slightly different wording on the rec side but the words are still chosen to catch peoples' attention and ensure media coverage. I'm sure we'll see more of the same from all user groups in future as everyone's slice of the pie dwindles. It's depressing :/

Yes similier

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2020, 02:40:04 PM »

2 different pies being discussed here.
Pie#1 = Fraser River stocks of concern. This pie has been sliced to allow FN harvesting on on a diet, no large slices, but many small ones.
Pie#2 = Tributary Hatchery stocks that has been sliced up even small to allow all Canadians on a diet a slice if they so please and are lucky enough find one under a rock.

I'm willing to share my potential slice of pie #2 without blowing anything up :)

Its all one pie for FSC, When you don't get enough #1 pie you go after #2 pie. Canadians only get pie after FN's have ate enough pie for FSC.

Now it seems they do have Pie that's been reserved they call this pie summer 4-1 chinook pie.  It seems that reserved pie is not the same as now pie and its allways hard to watch others eat pie even if you know you are going to get to eat more pie later.

Also where is my sockeye pie that's the best pie of all.  If I don't get sockeye pie no one gets pie no one damnit!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 02:43:23 PM by wildmanyeah »

stsfisher

« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2020, 02:47:03 PM »

I'm sure glad my wife was taught by her mom who was taught by her mom and so on how to make pie. Sure saves a lot of time and effort in trying to divide one up to the many greedy bastards looking for the last slice.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2020, 04:45:35 PM »

......yep they aren't  shut out......grab a rod and reel and start hiking.....hunt down the meager #s of reds that return to either river....hatchery tribs should be rec fishing only.....time to talk extinguishing rights and make all canadians equal....

member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2020, 06:01:23 PM »

all Canadians are already equal in terms as defined in the BNA and the Constitution Act. FN fishing & hunting rights were recognized by the British Crown before most of the country was settled by non FNs and never passed to subsequent people who settle here. It's the same in the US.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

stsfisher

« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2020, 06:17:57 PM »

all Canadians are already equal in terms as defined in the BNA and the Constitution Act. FN fishing & hunting rights were recognized by the British Crown before most of the country was settled by non FNs and never passed to subsequent people who settle here. It's the same in the US.

And their rights are being granted...... they do not like the allocation numbers but they are still able to gather their ceremonial fish.
They are frustrated because they have become accustomed to far more than the 3 ceremonial fish allowed now for a death. Well there simply are not that many fish anymore, even the accountant can figure that math out. :)

avid angler

« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2020, 10:32:38 PM »

I am not sure Mr. McNeil and Mr. Malloway are shocked and frustrated? They are more than welcome to fish for Chinook just like every other person that resides in Canada with a rod and reel on these 2 systems.

“We do this every year,” said LFFA chair Ken Malloway. “After much consultation, we wait to hear about when we’ll be able to go and get our fish for ceremonies but all of a sudden we see sport fishers going out first instead.”

Please join us Mr. Malloway, stand with us shoulder to shoulder with a rod and reel on these 2 systems and see how sports anglers fare during the summer Chinook season.

Malloway is clearly starving. Haven’t you seen him?

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2020, 11:47:51 PM »

Malloway is clearly starving. Haven’t you seen him?

Surely we can talk about this without resorting to mocking others for their weight ???

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2020, 12:03:45 AM »

Not when you're going to the media and crying about not getting enough food.