Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cultus Lake smallmouth bass monitoring and suppression  (Read 9865 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Cultus Lake smallmouth bass monitoring and suppression
« on: April 24, 2020, 12:27:10 PM »

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: Cultus Lake smallmouth bass monitoring and suppression
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 12:46:16 PM »

Is it possible to sterilize a bass prior to release?  It's a shame if they are releasing breeding adults - but I understand the value of tracking.

zap brannigan

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 08:49:50 PM »

it would be really difficult to release any bass i catch.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 01:57:22 AM »

it would be really difficult to release any bass i catch.

As I mentioned on our Facebook page, just to be clear, the project is only requesting anglers to release those fish which are tagged so they can continue to collect data from them. The data will help us understand which part of the lake these fish are using, it'll be beneficial in the long run. The daily quota of bass in region 2 except Mill Lake is 20, so go for it if you'd like to retain the untagged ones. They taste fantastic. :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 11:23:24 AM »

Just had a phone call regarding this project. Tagging will begin in a couple of weeks from now until early June. They'll also hope to collect gut content so may find a way to do that from anglers, once access restrictions are lifted.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 12:53:33 PM »

I wonder how big the SMB in Cultus are getting. They've been there for a few years at least?

Back in the day I used to do an annual trip to Saltspring for smallmouth. Mostly smaller ones but sometimes 1-2 lbs. We ate some, they were actually pretty good if I recall... Given the chance I'd probably try it again.

They'll also hope to collect gut content so may find a way to do that from anglers, once access restrictions are lifted.

I assume to try and determine what species they are feeding on? When this topic came up before there was some speculation as to whether SMB would feed on sockeye, pikeminnow, or whatever else. How do I get in on this angler SMB study?  ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 01:46:05 PM »

I wonder how big the SMB in Cultus are getting. They've been there for a few years at least?

Back in the day I used to do an annual trip to Saltspring for smallmouth. Mostly smaller ones but sometimes 1-2 lbs. We ate some, they were actually pretty good if I recall... Given the chance I'd probably try it again.

I assume to try and determine what species they are feeding on? When this topic came up before there was some speculation as to whether SMB would feed on sockeye, pikeminnow, or whatever else. How do I get in on this angler SMB study?  ;)

Once the weather gets warm enough and access opens up, we'll go catch and cook a bunch, and supply the gut content. Daily quota is 20. ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 03:17:28 PM »

Once the weather gets warm enough and access opens up, we'll go catch and cook a bunch, and supply the gut content. Daily quota is 20. ;D
Rod, use your influence and make Cultus a destination lake for a Canadian Pro Bass Tour!

Seriously, if there was more littoral zone for this lake (shallows) I would consider managing the lake with bass included, perhaps even enhanced with increased cover and sunken brush piles. They are the future for this water body, lets get ahead of the curve :D
Bet the diet is sculpins, crayfish and redside shiners.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 03:25:40 PM »

Rod, use your influence and make Cultus a destination lake for a Canadian Pro Bass Tour!

Seriously, if there was more littoral zone for this lake (shallows) I would consider managing the lake with bass included, perhaps even enhanced with increased cover and sunken brush piles. They are the future for this water body, lets get ahead of the curve :D

Dam it off, and let climate change take its course

Robert_G

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 03:28:16 PM »

we'll go catch and cook a bunch,

This isn't meant to be a racist comment, but what is it with Asians eating everything that moves??
I wouldn't even eat trout out of Cultus Lake.....but Bass??? Not a chance. Do you now how much fuel is spilled into that lake each year? Also the itch that swimmers get too...
They still sell cod at Superstore you know.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 04:42:55 PM »

Oh no no, you’re not racist at all... not one bit. :)

Robert_G

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 04:45:12 PM »

Oh no no, you’re not racist at all... not one bit. :)

I'm going to ask again though....does the polluted water of Cultus Lake not bother you enough to keep you from eating fish out of there?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 04:55:23 PM »

It'll be interesting to see the diet composition. My guess is that salmonids will make up the lesser % of it, and the others you mentioned will be the majority. It's quite exciting IMO!

Robert_G

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2020, 07:54:29 PM »

Rod, you promised me if I asked nicely, you'd answer my questions. My last question was just a normal question.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 08:21:25 PM »

Rod, you promised me if I asked nicely, you'd answer my questions. My last question was just a normal question.
I used to be up to speed on Cultus Lake water quality, and unless something drastic has happened to the lake in the last 5 years, I would have no qualms about eating anything but perhaps a 20 year old char.
Afaik, these bass in Cultus are made up of 3 year classes, so exposure to any possible contaminamts would be short lived.