Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cultus Lake smallmouth bass monitoring and suppression  (Read 9876 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Cultus Lake smallmouth bass monitoring and suppression
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2020, 04:32:12 PM »

Soon you won't be able to keep up with the custom bass stick orders. ;)
My older age retirement plan!

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2020, 06:17:30 PM »

--Bass, Walleye and other species throughout the Columbia...yes they eat fry and eggs and I am in no way suggesting we need to "help them along" in an already stressed Fraser system. They are here so let's figure out a strategy. I'm not all that optimistic and realize, in the end, management decisions will be based on the politics of the day. The maybe. is that we will learn more about the different critters, their behavior, and interactions allowing for the possibility of effective strategies. I don't like research where we are only trying to justify an already approved strategy but hopefully, we will learn something useful. I don't fault those doing the work, I'm sure the research will be done in good faith. We need more.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2020, 09:59:51 PM »

--Bass, Walleye and other species throughout the Columbia...yes they eat fry and eggs and I am in no way suggesting we need to "help them along" in an already stressed Fraser system. They are here so let's figure out a strategy. I'm not all that optimistic and realize, in the end, management decisions will be based on the politics of the day. The maybe. is that we will learn more about the different critters, their behavior, and interactions allowing for the possibility of effective strategies. I don't like research where we are only trying to justify an already approved strategy but hopefully, we will learn something useful. I don't fault those doing the work, I'm sure the research will be done in good faith. We need more.
None of those species would be thriving like they are without the dams.  Because of the dams, the Columbia and Snake (it's larges tributary) have lots of warm-water off channel habitat for young bass, perch, bluegill and crappie.  It would be a shame to see the Fraser imitate the Columbia in this manner.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2020, 10:36:42 PM »

The smallmouth bass tagging and sampling at Cultus Lake have begun this week with 17 fish tagged yesterday, more will be tagged in the coming weeks. If you are out there fishing and encounter a tagged fish, please release it. Each tagged fish has an acoustic tag implanted in the stomach to track their movement. They are not cheap and will collect valuable information for biologists.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2020, 10:22:31 AM »

A buddy and I are planning on going tomorrow.

He was raised on Vancouver Island and loved the bass fishery over there. He prefers catching bass over trout and was absolutely giddy when he learned that bass has shown up in Cultus.

I told him if I go bass fishing, it will be a whack 'em and stack 'em kind of day. I think I'm still welcome as a boat partner. :)           

Paulo

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2020, 07:24:16 PM »

Hey Clarki, did you guys get out for Smallies? If so how did you do?

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2020, 08:14:23 PM »

I’m curious as well about how you guys made out

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2020, 10:56:50 AM »

Welll... :)

We opted to  not go Sat in the rain and went yest instead.

I will add the caveats that it was our first time fishing Cultus from a boat and our first time exploring the lake for bass, it was windy and there were whitecaps on the lake, we had motor trouble so I was on the oars while my partner fished, we stayed in one small bay, and I think we were on the water for about 2 hours.

Having said that, my partner hooked 2; landed a small one and lost a gooder.  And I had a very brief hookup that popped off as quick as it was on.

Given our unfamiliarity with the water, the conditions and our issues, relatively happy with our results.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2020, 11:37:41 AM »

That’s fantastic considering I tried a bunch of times last year and got zero. Care to share your tactics ?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2020, 12:52:37 PM »

Clarki, were you able to see the lost fish good enough to confirm it was a bass?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2020, 01:06:45 PM »

Relatively shallow water and structure ( downed timber).

My buddy was using his favourite plug, a Rattlin’ Rap

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2020, 03:11:22 PM »

Clarki, were you able to see the lost fish good enough to confirm it was a bass?
Can’t confirm 100%. We saw the white flank underwater and it had the shape of a bass and not a trout/char or NPM.

It was caught shortly after, in the same area, and on the same lure as the first smaller fish, so not 100% confident,  but relatively.

hammer

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2020, 06:55:09 PM »

I have a 12 foof jon boat and a small gas motor. I have never been to cultus. Is that suitable? I am not new to boating or being on water.
Not trailering...any ideas on a good launch ?

hammer

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2020, 06:56:54 PM »

Clarki,
Any suggestions on starting points....you are exactly one trip ahead of me in your learning curve

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2020, 07:18:43 PM »

AFAIK, the park has two launches: Jade Bay and Maple Bay. Maple Bay was closed but my understanding is that it is a seasonal closure and will open shortly. Yesterday, the Jade Bay launch was taking the full brunt of the waves from the south westerlies so we didn't try to put in there. Rather, we put his cartopper in at Spring Bay picnic area. There's no launch there but it's a short carry from the parking lot to the water.

If you want to see something cool, go to Maple Bay and check out Watt Creek. During the atmospheric river event back in Feb Watt Creek blew out. The destruction it caused, the channel it dug and the alluvial fan that it deposited in the forest is amazing.