Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2019/2020 Chilliwack River winter steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 25454 times)

Jk47

Any reports on the river conditions boys? Wondering for Friday, but I imagine it's high and muddy with all this rain.
Hey Rodney, just about time to put up that 2020 Chlilliwack Steelhead conditions and updates thread, isn't it?

blueback

Took a look a couple of hours ago and it is fine. Snow level down on the mountains so if it remains cool it should be fishable.

Thanks Chris, I knew I could count on you for a river report  8)
Hey Rodney, just about time to put up that 2020 Chlilliwack Steelhead conditions and updates thread, isn't it?

Yup; steelhead time!!

psd1179

• Old Timer

Just registered both derbies. There is no fish weight in so far. hope the boxing derby is the start.

Robert_G

There is no fish weight in so far.

Yeah....there should be fish weighed in by now. I hope this isn't a sign of this years steelhead season.

CohoJake

• Old Timer

Yeah....there should be fish weighed in by now. I hope this isn't a sign of this years steelhead season.
Well, Washington just closed the Snohomish and Stillaguamish systems due to a lack of broodstock showing up - looks like a year of poor ocean survival at least down south.  Granted those are the same inbred hatchery stock that have been used for over 100 years, so their life history and ocean survival may be totally different from the Vedder fish bred from wild stock.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Well, Washington just closed the Snohomish and Stillaguamish systems due to a lack of broodstock showing up - looks like a year of poor ocean survival at least down south.
Ouch, that’s not good.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

I believe chum and steelhead have a big north offshore distribution way up in the gulf of Alaska. Chum was a bad return but who knows always room to be optimistic. Altho the steelhead returning this year would of spend more time in fresh water before they headed to the ocean then Chum so perhaps they will have better survival.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 08:25:14 AM by wildmanyeah »

psd1179

• Old Timer

Bearing mind the skeena steelhead has a bad return this year.

Jk47

Bearing mind the skeena steelhead has a bad return this year.
...and the island all shut down... it's not looking good so far, is it? That being said I wanted to ask if anyone remembers a post in which perhaps it was Dave( or Ralph I dont know) - but I seem to remember someone saying they thought for whatever reason  -historically-  years with poor chum returns correlated to higher steelhead returns that year...? Just being hopeful  maybe

avid angler

Curious how does diet of steelhead vary compared to pinks and chum. If it’s similar, then steelhead will also be competing directly for food with billions and billions of pink and chum fry from salmon ranching in Alaska and japan.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

...and the island all shut down... it's not looking good so far, is it?
Island shut down? Can you elaborate please.

redside1

Well, Washington just closed the Snohomish and Stillaguamish systems due to a lack of broodstock showing up - looks like a year of poor ocean survival at least down south.  Granted those are the same inbred hatchery stock that have been used for over 100 years, so their life history and ocean survival may be totally different from the Vedder fish bred from wild stock.

plus add in just how poor it's been over on the Olympic peninsula for steelhead fishing so far and it appears to be quickly shaping up to be one of the worst seasons ever.

CohoJake

• Old Timer

plus add in just how poor it's been over on the Olympic peninsula for steelhead fishing so far and it appears to be quickly shaping up to be one of the worst seasons ever.
Wow, you made me check - Bogachiel River hatchery counts for winter steelhead for past 4 years in December on approximately the same date:
Dec 12 2016 - 395
Dec 19 2017 - 1,208
Dec 17 2018 - 423
Dec 16 2019 - 176

Possibly the worst ever.  Makes me not feel so bad about not being able to pull off a trip over to the Bogachiel this December.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Possibly the worst ever.  Makes me not feel so bad about not being able to pull off a trip over to the Bogachiel this December.
Where is this?

Jk47

Island shut down? Can you elaborate please.
I may be wrong I just heard most steelhead runs were closed due to lack of fishp