Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2019/2020 Chilliwack River winter steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 25541 times)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

I agree with the statement wildmanyeah posted about the December burnout. I don't start putting in effort untill January as of the last few seasons.. Looking back from the early 2000s my December steelhead numbers on vedder system were consistently 2-5 fish hooked usually averaging 3.typically i would see the first fish between the 5th and the 11th of December. the fish would always show up numbers in the first week or so of January and my numbers would consistently be around 20-30 fish hooked fishing weekends in the month of January. Since about 2013-2014 to present Iv noticed the fishery seriously become a struggle for some. I still manage a fish maybe 2 in December and it's deffinetly a grind now. Even the January numbers are down largely I believe to the influx of fishermen on the vedder system . The urbanization around the lower has been the real killer imo. Before the peach road development a typical steelhead day fishing the crossing to lickman  one would expect to encounter maybe 5-10 other fishermen through those stretches all day. Now look at today...the numbers of anglers  on a weekend would probably be 30-40 maybe even more anglers on a typical late December/January day through those same stretches . Fishing trends will continue downward. The ability of average steelhead anglers has improved 2-3 fold. Add that to daily fishing water condition updates online ,water graphs,local tackle shops reports,web cams,river access,Facebook/Instagram heros, and even rafts accessing harder to reach areas the river is getting no down time pressure wise. It's always going to be a grind from here on out early season so get used to it.

Yet another reason why Steelhead numbers need to be enhanced on other systems like the Chehalis. It's a shame the feds came in and destroyed winter fisheries on systems like Big Silver, Norrish and Kanaka. We sure could use them now

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

It's a shame the feds came in and destroyed winter fisheries on systems like Big Silver, Norrish and Kanaka. We sure could use them now
How so? What did the feds do?

hammer

I am guessing they are referring to previously funded stocking programs/fertilization which enhanced steelhead on at least Two of those systems. That hasn’t happened for a really long time now.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

All 3 were enhanced. Norrish Creek's project reportedly didn't produce much and was stopped by the early 90s. Big Silver is a long way to go over rough roads. It musty have been very expensive to do. It has very little fishable water, only a few km. Kanaka collapsed on it's own when many steelhead populations collapsed in the 90s.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

All 3 were enhanced. Norrish Creek's project reportedly didn't produce much and was stopped by the early 90s. Big Silver is a long way to go over rough roads. It musty have been very expensive to do. It has very little fishable water, only a few km. Kanaka collapsed on it's own when many steelhead populations collapsed in the 90s.
Thanks Ralph. Thought maybe he was referring to the run of the river projects. That’s our very own provincial governments doing. There was one installed on the Big Silver.

redside1

Yet another reason why Steelhead numbers need to be enhanced on other systems like the Chehalis. It's a shame the feds came in and destroyed winter fisheries on systems like Big Silver, Norrish and Kanaka. We sure could use them now

You do realize that the "Feds" having nothing to do with steelhead management, right?  The province manages steelhead.
The Fed's only over fish steelhead when they are by-catch in assorted net fisheries in both the Fraser river and in the saltwater areas.

mikeyman

First fish weighed in this morning.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

You do realize that the "Feds" having nothing to do with steelhead management, right?  The province manages steelhead.
The Fed's only over fish steelhead when they are by-catch in assorted net fisheries in both the Fraser river and in the saltwater areas.

It was DFO that shut down those enhanced runs in the early 2000's.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

I've caught winter fish in the Big Silver. A long time ago. I haven't had one there in almost 20 years. There is a lot of fish able water below the falls. About 7klm if I'm not mistaken and I've hiked most of it. Its Cogburn Creek that I would be concerned about the most. It was once known for massive size Steel. IMO this system ( along with the Big Silver ) dont have Steel any more. People are so concerned about the Thompson but there are lots of streams that have had population of Steel disappear. I know they may not be as exotic as the Thompson  but still important fish.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Never fished Cogburn creek. Heard whisperings of steelhead in there. Fished Big Silver and a couple of rainbow came to hand but no Steelhead and that was many yrs ago now. I agree these smaller rivers and creeks are just as important as the collapse of Steelhead on the Thompson and Gold rivers.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

Never fished Cogburn creek. Heard whisperings of steelhead in there. Fished Big Silver and a couple of rainbow came to hand but no Steelhead and that was many yrs ago now. I agree these smaller rivers and creeks are just as important as the collapse of Steelhead on the Thompson and Gold rivers.

Oh jeez. The Gold River too ? What a shame.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

The Province had a fertilization program on Big Silver for a number of years to develop a summer trout fishery above the falls It worked but funds were cut after the Liberal slashed spending. That program likely also benefited steelhead below the falls.

The small program on the Coquitlam also disappeared after the community hatchery was shut.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Oh jeez. The Gold River too ? What a shame.
Yes the Gold River now is closed to winter steelhead fishing as very few returning fish.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

The Province had a fertilization program on Big Silver for a number of years to develop a summer trout fishery above the falls It worked but funds were cut after the Liberal slashed spending. That program likely also benefited steelhead below the falls.

The small program on the Coquitlam also disappeared after the community hatchery was shut.

I'm aware.

Actually come to think of it maybe 6 years ago I was on the Big Silver and landed two big Cutties ( possibly the same fish ) and then one bigger Tainbow. I didnt measure it at the time but I do remeber questioning if it was a smaller Steel. It was bright with little to no spots. I wish I had taken a pic and measured it. One of my biggest regrets

psd1179

• Old Timer

I'm aware.

Actually come to think of it maybe 6 years ago I was on the Big Silver and landed two big Cutties ( possibly the same fish ) and then one bigger Tainbow. I didnt measure it at the time but I do remeber questioning if it was a smaller Steel. It was bright with little to no spots. I wish I had taken a pic and measured it. One of my biggest regrets

Is the big silver by Harrison lake? From google map. it looks inaccessible.