Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Decline Of Steelhead On Global Tonight.  (Read 29773 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Decline Of Steelhead On Global Tonight.
« on: December 31, 2019, 09:03:11 PM »

Steelhead story on the decline of steelhead aired on Global TV tonight. I see they used Rod (Fishing with Rod) clip of him landing a steelhead at Gwyn's Run from a few years ago that Nina Manique filmed . Also some clips from my channel (Lettermail) when I covered a few Chilliwack Fish and Game Protective Association annual Boxing Day Derby. This year the 75th edition of the derby only saw one steelhead landed. Good to see John Werring in the story too. https://www.facebook.com/chris.gadsden.7/videos/10159331362534056/

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Decline Of Steelhead On Global Tonight.
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 09:11:44 PM »

Good memory. ;)

https://globalnews.ca/news/6353608/groups-sound-alarm-steelhead-annual-derby/
I was there with you and you caught this one on a small spoon. We caught  a few there that year. I wonder if Global will send us some funds for using our clips?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 09:14:33 PM »

No one phoned me to ask for permission like they usually do. I'll need to message Chris Gailus and express my displeasure... ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 09:19:36 PM »

No one phoned me to ask for permission like they usually do. I'll need to message Chris Gailus and express my displeasure... ;)
Good coverage for the problems our fish are facing though. I guess my channel is public so anyone can use it whenever they want and I don't mind anyway.

I just remembered, Global still owes me for one story when I freelanced for them a few years ago. :-X :(

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 10:21:24 AM »

Pretty priss poor coverage of the whole situation IMO. According to the Story the issue is Overfishing and DFO.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 10:33:44 AM »

Pretty priss poor coverage of the whole situation IMO. According to the Story the issue is Overfishing and DFO.

I agree, this story was thrown together much too quickly and could have been better.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 12:20:11 PM »

+1 .. trying to equate the single weigh in for the Boxing Day Derby, the IFS crisis and the commercial chum fishery wasn't particularly astute journalism IMO. They seem to exclude the fact there was no chum commercial opening and the chum return was one of the lowest on record. Add to that the record low sockeye return for the Fraser there is just a lot of bad fishery news.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2020, 01:53:49 PM »

some of those comments are amazingly dumb. Scary considering they are offered by anglers.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2020, 02:44:50 PM »

some of those comments are amazingly dumb. Scary considering they are offered by anglers.

I like the one where the guy says they need to shut down rec fishing and his buddy is like I guess i won't be taking your kids anymore lol.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2020, 11:45:08 PM »

In the long run (10, 20, 50, 100 years) these fish don't really have a future unfortunately. Majority of British Columbian do not recreationally fish for them and couldn't care less about a few fish which look pretty much the same as those farmed salmon or wild sockeye salmon laying at Superstore. Anglers like to think it is an iconic species, but they are not majestic like grizzly bears, not intelligent like orcas. There isn't an emotional connection with these fish unless you actually fish for them or see one in person. A browse through those comments on Facebook simply demonstrates how mis-informed and uneducated most people are when it comes to steelhead. Unless for some miraculous reason a lot more people suddenly become interested in salmon and steelhead fishing, we are the last couple of generations who have the privilege to enjoy this pastime unfortunately.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 08:06:42 AM »

So true Rodney! Sadly, I don't feel confident there are enough anglers or others that care enough about these fish to save them. Definitely the early run steelhead in the C-V are on the verge of extirpation; hopefully the next few years of float counts will give a better understanding of the remaining component of wild fish.

I can see the day, perhaps very soon, hatchery fish will be used for broodstock.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 09:22:00 AM »

So true Rodney! Sadly, I don't feel confident there are enough anglers or others that care enough about these fish to save them. Definitely the early run steelhead in the C-V are on the verge of extirpation; hopefully the next few years of float counts will give a better understanding of the remaining component of wild fish.

I can see the day, perhaps very soon, hatchery fish will be used for broodstock.
I think they have used hatchery steelhead from the C/V in the past to stock the Stave.