Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waders on a budget  (Read 14622 times)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Re: Waders on a budget
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2019, 09:35:23 PM »

There are other reasons to purchase higher end waders other than longevity.  Breathability, features i.e. pockets and places to put your keys in all the right places and also wider ranges of sizes.  One of the biggest reasons why waders leak prematurely is poor fit.  Simms has waders that fit practically any body shape out there.  My G3’s are over 5 years old.  I had them fixed once and that was because a sharp branch skewered the thigh area.  Completely my fault but Simms fixed them for free.  Hasn’t leaked since.

sbc hris

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2019, 10:00:28 PM »

My point is, that to say “quality always trumps quantity” just isn’t true. Especially these days when there’s so much mark up on “fashionable” gear and equipment. Sometimes the quality/cost ratio just doesn’t work out. I get the point that you’re trying to make, but if you’re on a budget, you really have to do your homework. I completely agree that higher end gear is (usually) better, but I’m poor, so I either settle for used gear, lower quality gear, or I simply go without.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 10:04:29 PM by sbc hris »

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2019, 10:01:32 PM »

Quality is subjective.

Is a 50 year old, million dollar house in South Granville better quality than a newly built house in Chilliwack selling for $575,000? Of course there will be arguments to be made, but realistically, paying more doesn't necessarily compute to a better product.

Don't get me wrong, I think Simms make great products, but I also think they're way over priced. I own a pair the original headwaters wader and to be honest, I would rather own two of those than one
new G4Z. So with that said, does anyone really believe that the G4Z will out last the lives of two older Headwaters combined?

It changes perspective when you compare apples to apples.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2019, 10:03:56 PM »

My take is buy the best you can afford.  Not saying to buy Simms or nothing at all.  But to say that you can buy 2 or 3 cheap pairs for the price of one pair of Simms is missing some important points.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2019, 10:45:30 PM »

Quality is subjective.

Is a 50 year old, million dollar house in South Granville better quality than a newly built house in Chilliwack selling for $575,000?

I don't have an answer to that, but if you can find a detached house in South Granville for one million, go for it - it's a bargain. It's like finding a pair of mint G4s for 100 bucks! ;D

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2019, 10:46:38 PM »

My take is buy the best you can afford.  Not saying to buy Simms or nothing at all.  But to say that you can buy 2 or 3 cheap pairs for the price of one pair of Simms is missing some important points.

True. However it was mentioned, the guy purchased his cheap waders throughout the years, not all in one go. So obviously, he never had the means to purchase anything more. It's like saying paying rent for 10 years you could have bought a house....well yah okay... but where would a guy live during those 10 years?

Even from a logical point of view, sometimes the equation just doesn't fit an individual's situation. 

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2019, 10:48:06 PM »

I buy most of my gear used, and depending on your size (if you’re a common size or not) it may be worth it to keep an eye out for a used pair.
I couldn’t imagine wearing used waders. My family jewels ain’t going be sitting where yours were. Lol

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2019, 10:54:27 PM »

I don't have an answer to that, but if you can find a detached house in South Granville for one million, go for it - it's a bargain. It's like finding a pair of mint G4s for 100 bucks! ;D

LOL...No doubt. Friends of mine from Arizona saw an ad online for a "reduced price" 750 sq ft condo in Downtown Vancouver selling for $1,300,000. They almost shat themselves thinking that we were mental.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2019, 11:05:04 PM »

I couldn’t imagine wearing used waders. My family jewels ain’t going be sitting where yours were. Lol

Obviously, the thought crossed your mind or you wouldn't have mentioned it.  ;D

stsfisher

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2019, 08:01:40 AM »

My take is buy the best you can afford.

I think this is exactly what the original poster is trying to do. And to me it sounds like they are Not looking to pay $600-$1000 on a pair of waders.

For those that want to tell others how to spend more money than they intended should be a little more respectful in your answers. You do not know the situation that would make a person choose a cheaper wader, nor should anyone feel like they need to justify their reasons for buying a cheaper wader. We all get it, you get what you pay for. No one who has purchased a "cheaper" wader has argued that, and without going back through this entire thread I am pretty sure no one who has gone the cheaper route is complaining about it.

This thread screams with elitism, which really is too bad. You either have an experience to share on purchasing budget waders for the OP or you don't, pretty simple. I think by now we all know Simms G4's and G4Z's are the best, but what is available for the budget  conscious person buying waders?

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2019, 08:05:45 AM »

Quality is subjective.

Is a 50 year old, million dollar house in South Granville better quality than a newly built house in Chilliwack selling for $575,000? Of course there will be arguments to be made, but realistically, paying more doesn't necessarily compute to a better product.

Don't get me wrong, I think Simms make great products, but I also think they're way over priced. I own a pair the original headwaters wader and to be honest, I would rather own two of those than one
new G4Z. So with that said, does anyone really believe that the G4Z will out last the lives of two older Headwaters combined?

It changes perspective when you compare apples to apples.

I too have a the original headwaters, plus the original guide waders that are both back-ups to my G3 guides.  My headwaters have chronic leakage problems and I've had to repair them several times.  I'm not confident that they will hold up much longer even as a back-up wader.  My original guide waders are more durable.  Both are not currently leaking, but...

As for my G3's, they developed a hole in the upper inseam, plus another hole was developing on the opposite side (this was last year).  I sent them to Simms and they fixed them under warranty.  They basically put patches on the inside on both areas, and my G3's have not leaked since.  I believe this is my 6th season with these waders.

I would go for quality over quantity.  Maybe not necessarily Simms.  I like the Patagonia waders, but they don't use Gore Tex so I can't do the alcohol test to find leaks.  But Patagonia seems like a great company (they did me a favor on my Gore Tex Triolet jacket - another story).  Of course, affordability is a factor - I would buy the best quality you could afford, and be sure to take care and maintain the product.

essyoo

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2019, 09:53:51 AM »

Three page thread and not a single direct answer to my actual question. This forum is nothing if not consistent, haha.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Especially the handful who tried to address the original question.

I'm sure your Simms waders are fantastic.
I don't disagree that the higher priced waders are likely to be better quality and last longer.
I am working with what's called a "budget". This means I have a set amount of money to work with. It will not magically become three times more.

Hike_and_Fish, your insinuation that someone's passion is linked to how much they spend on gear is laughable and slightly insulting. The amount I have to spend on waterproof pants is in no way indicative of how much I love to fish, but rather my financial situation at the moment and that I have three birthdays (two kids and a wife) and xmas within the next several weeks to think about as well.

I'll have to rely on amazon reviews I guess  ;D

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2019, 10:48:57 AM »

I have a near new set of Bare Supra 4 boot foot I’d sell cheap if you’re interested

santefe

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2019, 11:57:19 AM »

Well I bought a pair of waders from Cabelas several years ago (not sure how many).
They have served me well and didn't cost a lot. Have just started to get a leak in one of the boots.
But after the amount of use I got from them I can't complain.
May not look as good as Simms but I think of them as good value for the money.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2019, 01:22:16 PM »

There was a time years ago when we were on a steelhead trip north island and a buddy of mine had a pair of those brutal Bare breathable waders!  Well to make a long story short we ran out of coffee filters so I cut a piece of his waders and voila we had coffee again!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"