Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waders on a budget  (Read 14802 times)

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Waders on a budget
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2019, 03:06:03 PM »

Three page thread and not a single direct answer to my actual question.

I answered to it. You might have missed it among all that drivel about Simms G4s.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2019, 03:09:07 PM »

I've had Froggs Toggs Hellbenders. They do work well if you don't plan to fish regularly (weekend anglers) and can last quite awhile, well worth it for how much you're spending. Once mine started leaking, they really leaked... ;)

You're also spending on comfort too. Right now I'm wearing Simms G3, which are so much more comfortable than Frogg Toggs and the lower Simms models.

Jk47

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2019, 08:17:21 AM »

Simms Freestones the entry level waders have served me VERY well for two years now without a leak and I am EXTREMELY hard on gear. I know they're about to spring any day now but they look absolutely beat and they still hold air. I'm amazed. Will definitely be upgrading to G-series soon, as I am a customer now for sure

Kenwee

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2019, 01:33:34 PM »

Its penny wise pound foolish to spend money on cheap waders,
I bought my first Simms G3 waders in the summer of 2010. It has gone thru massive abuse on bush walking trips and has encounter many blackberry bushes and came out unscathed n it has never leaked. I fish everyday weather permitting.
2012 I bought a G4 and had  the same experience. I rotate my waders as I like to use a dry wader everyday.
My buddy has 11 walmart waders in his garage which cost  80 each. Now he has a Simms G3 for 3 years and it has not failed him yet.
You get what you pay for.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2019, 02:07:56 PM »

I bought my first Simms G3 waders in the summer of 2010. It has gone thru massive abuse on bush walking trips and has encounter many blackberry bushes and came out unscathed n it has never leaked. I fish everyday weather permitting.
2012 I bought a G4 and had  the same experience. I rotate my waders as I like to use a dry wader everyday.
My buddy has 11 walmart waders in his garage which cost  80 each. Now he has a Simms G3 for 3 years and it has not failed him yet.

Amen

Again. Quality trumps quantity.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2019, 02:31:11 PM »

x2. rock 2 sets of g3's. but i dont get to fish everyday. stupid work.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2019, 02:39:30 PM »

Amen

Again. Quality trumps quantity.

agreed, expect for the ipa over 12 Canadians lol. ipa eeewwwwww

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2019, 05:49:22 PM »

agreed, expect for the ipa over 12 Canadians lol. ipa eeewwwwww

That's funny. I find Canadian to taste like Applejew
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 06:21:40 PM by Hike_and_fish »

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2019, 09:59:10 PM »

canadian is defiantly a crappy beer but i prefer 12 of those over one of anything. nice to have a buzz once in a while.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2019, 11:18:53 AM »

I hear you. I can't drop 800$ all at once for G4's, it's more practical to buy cheap ones that you only get a few years out of. But then it's a lot easier to come up with 150$ to replace them. And for the first kit buying session, I got rod, jacket, waders, and boots for less than g4's.

Anyway, I had Hodgeman H3's and got a solid 2 1/2 years out of them. They leak pretty badly now but they still keep me warm.

Two friends bought Froggs at the same general time in the same pricepoint and they're still going fine, but they both use them way, way, way less.

I was going to replace them with another set of the H3's, but Hodgman made a very dubious decision and went from having formed left and right feet, to generic booties that were really, really hard to get on and off. Now the formed booties are only on the H5 series, which are overkill as I don't fish during the winter and don't need 5 layers.

So the H3's are now pointless to buy unless you love fighting your way in and out of waders. Not sure if the FT's are any different.

I would suggest that there's probably not a huge value discrepancy in the lower end of the market in terms of performance and longevity, so maybe just try them on and see which fits best and get out on the water...

Tylsie

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2019, 05:51:27 PM »

Why there is a discussion about if it is better to spend $800 once or $200 4 times is beyond me when the OP was pretty clear in his question but I digress. I have no idea where the Essyoo fishes but given the casual nature of his post and gear question I would say he focuses on the main local river (feel free to correct me if I am wrong). Say the C/V. The thing about the C/V is that there really is no bushwacking left. Sure, you may walk away from the crowds but you followed a trail to get there. Unless you fall, or charge through blackberries the likely hood of a puncture is slim. And if you charge through black berries I don't care what type of breathable waders you are wearing they will get thru.

The thing is, that is one of the areas Simms excells at. Trail breaking. If that was all I did, say fishing up North, or parts of the Island sure. I would absolutely say By Simms or forget breathable. The other area Simms excells at is fit and finish. Reduce friction points the less leaks.It is pretty simple. But the thing is, this one can over come. By a used set of Cabelas, Frogs, Used, Whatever fits you BEST!!! That is step one. Step 2 is related to finish. I am willing to bet that most every leak someone develops (aside from a puncture) are in 1 of 3 spots. The top of the boot, inner thight/crotch, and just above the waist line on the seem. The reason for the boot is obvious, 2 dissimilar materials will always work there way apart. The inner thigh is also obvious 2, friction. But the one just above the waist is a bit more less obvious. It is something I learned from my hunting jackets. It all about storage. That point is where most people hang there waders, doubled over to dry. Wet waders way alot, hanging there puts stress on the seam.

The solution is to minimize these stresses. With the Boots, it is important to never just heap them in the back of you vehicle when changing. Lay them out, folded over in the trunk is fine but do not what do what I see many people do and stand up the boots and scrunch down the waders over top like one of those little garden gnomes. All the tension is pulling on the seem of the boot in a direction that was never intended. Down, instead of up as if you were wearing them. For the area between the thighs, it is a bit tougher but it is patchable. The seem close to the waist, don't store your waders on clothes hangers and never put them a way wet.

With this, will you be able to make a set of 200 waders last 10 years? No, but they should last at least 3; and according to my math 900/3 or over 900/1 over 10 years is breaking even (with a bunch more to spend on IPAs that first year)

The rules are pretty simple: Take excellent care of your gear and it may surprise you and let the guys in the G4s go through the bush first. They like to make an entrance anyway!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2019, 09:51:21 AM »

Quote from: Tylsie
The rules are pretty simple: Take excellent care of your gear and it may surprise you and let the guys in the G4s go through the bush first. They like to make an entrance anyway!

Great post, Tylsie.

essyoo

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2019, 11:19:07 AM »

Yeah, thanks for that Tylsie. I am super careful with my things. I've managed to make a pair of $50 canadian tire waders last much longer than they should by doing pretty much what you said.

And yeah, I don't do a ton of bushwacking but I do like to explore. I fish the c/v, capilano (and the mouth at ambleside) mainly, but have started to check out other places. My hope is that I can jump on a decent black friday sale next week and maybe get into a low end Simms or get a deal on higher end toggs or hodgmans.

mcallagan

« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2019, 03:35:34 PM »

Also like Tylsie, I have taken care of my 20 year old waders, they are Seatux.
I admit yes they are neoprene but the same principle remains.
I use them regularly and have bushwhacked in them.
I always hang them to dry and always check for abrasions.
A little Aquaseal on them and as good as new.

Any equipment whether you pay a lot or not will always surprise you with the time they last if you look after them.
BTW, I am looking for a pair of breathable as I hate sweating in the summer in my Seatux.

bsmcrosseyed

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2019, 07:13:25 PM »

Very comfortable. Very good price for the quality. YKK zippers. Same as Simms

https://dryftfishing.com/