Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waders on a budget  (Read 14624 times)

stsfisher

Re: Waders on a budget
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2019, 11:29:57 AM »

All that money you spent on cheap waders would have been enough to buy the best Simms G4’s and lasted longer. Just a thought.

Ok Wiseguy, thanks for your insight.  ::)

stsfisher

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2019, 11:33:54 AM »

Never quite understood why people reply on a thread about budget priced waders with suggestion to buy Simms G4s. What part of "budget waders" do you guys not understand?

Somebody gets it.

Animal Chin

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2019, 03:43:19 PM »

here's what  can say,
all waders leak eventually so it doesn't matter whether you buy $800 Simms G4'S or $25 waders from wherever.
between my son and I we have owned pretty much every brand at every price point and the result is the same.
I think, depending on how many days per year usage it's better to buy a bunch of pairs of cheap waders

From my experience, pretty much the above. I've always used breathables and spent around $100 .. had a pair of LL Bean ones, the old Hellbenders and now the newer iteration of them.. every pair has basically lasted me around 4 years. I fish pink, salmon and float tube a couple weeks in the spring, I'd say slightly above average use as I usually have weekdays off... not everyday and a super wading stud 20 year old, but I'm out there. Just be prepared for failure, but by that time, you'll feel it's time for new waders anyway. Get 'em sent to Point Roberts or Blaine. Sometimes you can find them for under $100..

Of course, Simms are nice so if you can swing it, great.. but they do leak as well eventually.. everyone will pipe in with their own experiences and with waders YMMV obviously.. but sub $100 waders do last. And despite the warranty, there's no gurantee Simms will decide your problem is a warranty issue.. and it'll take awhile for them to determine this.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2019, 04:30:41 PM »

I had a great experience with some cheap breathables.
They lasted me for years and then i got even more from them with a tube of shoe goo repairing the leaks and cuts.

When the $600 waders will outlast the cheap ones by triple i will consider buying them.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2019, 06:13:28 PM »

I had a great experience with some cheap breathables.
They lasted me for years and then i got even more from them with a tube of shoe goo repairing the leaks and cuts.

When the $600 waders will outlast the cheap ones by triple i will consider buying them.
Depends on how u use them. If u only go out a couple times a yr then yah buy some cheap ones.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2019, 07:56:22 PM »

Never quite understood why people reply on a thread about budget priced waders with suggestion to buy Simms G4s. What part of "budget waders" do you guys not understand?

Essyoo, go with these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Frogg-Toggs-Breathable-Stockingfoot-Waders/dp/B00FN94LLC/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=frogg+toggs+pilot+2+waders&qid=1573669118&sr=8-5

You can't go wrong. I'm on my third season with them and they are still going strong. I'm a weekend warrior and don't do much bushwhacking, but these waders have proved themselves and even a few of my buddies have bought them after they've seen how good they were to me.

Why spend $300 every 3 to 4 years and have nagging stress of thinking if today will be the day your waders kick the bucket. The waiting for warrenty repair during peak season or the cold toes or balls when it does happen. Spend $800 plus and put your mind at ease knowing that you made a sound decision. I know the OP wanted advice on cheap wader BUT you get what you pay for.

FYI in the 6 years or so I've owned my G4Zs my buddy has purchased 2 Reddingtons and 1 Patagonia. It makes NO SENSE AT ALL.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2019, 07:59:33 PM »

milo, Amazon gives a range of prices for the Frogg Toggs Pilot II Breathable Stockingfoot Chest Wader as follows: CDN$ 185.45 - CDN$ 334.37

What did you get yours for, if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry for the late reply...it's been a long, busy day.
I can't remember the exact figure, but it was a bit over 200 CAD, taxes and everything. Around $220, I believe.
That said, their Hellbender II waders look remarkably similar to the older Simms Headwater model at a fraction of the price.
I think Essyoo should go with those. They've garnered some pretty good reviews on the web.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2019, 08:11:19 PM »

Why spend $300 every 3 to 4 years and have nagging stress of thinking if today will be the day your waders kick the bucket. The waiting for warrenty repair during peak season or the cold toes or balls when it does happen. Spend $800 plus and put your mind at ease knowing that you made a sound decision. I know the OP wanted advice on cheap wader BUT you get what you pay for.

FYI in the 6 years or so I've owned my G4Zs my buddy has purchased 2 Reddingtons and 1 Patagonia. It makes NO SENSE AT ALL.

Two reasons:
1. Not everyone can afford to drop almost a grand on a pair of waders. Priorities vary from person to person. If you have kids, you'll understand this argument.
2. It is much better to have 2 200-dollar pairs of waders than one 800-dollar pair. As said above, every wader will leak eventually, so it's a good idea to have a spare pair. Not to mention you're still 400$ ahead.
3. Change is good because it's invigorating.

There are more arguments in favour of multiple cheaper pairs over one expensive pair of waders, but this should suffice for now.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2019, 08:18:46 PM »

Two reasons:
1. Not everyone can afford to drop almost a grand on a pair of waders. Priorities vary from person to person. If you have kids, you'll understand this argument.
2. It is much better to have 2 200-dollar pairs of waders than one 800-dollar pair. As said above, every wader will leak eventually, so it's a good idea to have a spare pair. Not to mention you're still 400$ ahead.
3. Change is good because it's invigorating.

There are more arguments in favour of multiple cheaper pairs over one expensive pair of waders, but this should suffice for now.

1. I do have kids. I have 3 all under 5.

2. Quality ALWAYS trumps quantity

3. Change is good ONLY BECAUSE You learn more. Not because its invigorating.

4. You said 2 reasons but listed 3. I'm confused

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2019, 08:31:53 PM »

1. I do have kids. I have 3 all under 5.

3. Change is good ONLY BECAUSE You learn more. Not because its invigorating.

4. You said 2 reasons but listed 3. I'm confused

I'm tired. I should have said 3 reasons.

Let's agree to disagree on this topic. As much as most of us would love to wear a pair of Simms G4s and have a spare pair of Patagonia Rio Gallegos sitting in a box just in case the Simms leak (and they will, eventually, like all waders do), for many of us it is simply not something we can afford. Like I said, we all have our priorities...for me it's better cigars over expensive waders. Therefore, I'll buy the cheaper waders in order to afford the better cigars. Can't have both.  :-[

And BTW, I agree with you on change being an opportunity to learn. And learning is invigorates us!😀
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 08:34:55 PM by milo »

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2019, 08:37:36 PM »

I'm tired. I should have said 3 reasons.

Let's agree to disagree on this topic. As much as most of us would love to wear a pair of Simms G4s and have a spare pair of Patagonia Rio Gallegos sitting in a box just in case the Simms leak (and they will, eventually, like all waders do), for many of us it is simply not something we can afford. Like I said, we all have our priorities...for me is better cigars and cheaper waders so I can afford the cigars. Can't have both.  :-[

And BTW, I agree with you on change being an opportunity to learn. And learning is invigorates us!😀

I just cant comprehend why someone would own two or three junk vehicles than one one new one. Sure...... I'll settle down. In my mind it is my passion and I will spare no expense on my passion. I only live ONE time ( as far as I know ). Ok.... ok.... I'm done.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2019, 08:39:04 PM »

There was a time when Patagonia ruled then Simms came along with quality waders at a lower price point. Now they're on top and they've reached the same level of pricing where Patagonia was 15 years ago. The point is, don't get fooled into thinking Simms is above and beyond all. Give the some of the newer names a chance to prove their worth and I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2019, 08:43:53 PM »

Somebody gets it.

sbc hris

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2019, 08:44:30 PM »

Oh yeah? Would you rather catch one 6 lb. coho, or ten 5 lb. cohos? Would you rather head out on a trip over the Coq with 2 litres of high grade fuel, or 100 litres of regular grade fuel? A weekend in the woods with 1 GREAT beer? Or with 12 GOOD beers? I think you get my point lol.
At some point the math just doesn’t work. Are you saying you would pay $5000 for a pair of G4s? $10,000? At some point it just doesn’t make sense, but people tell themselves that it does to justify their fancy purchases.

I believe Simms now makes a pretty cheap pair of waders, in the $250 range, could be worth a look. I owned a pair a Frogg Toggs, they fit OK, and leaked in less than a year. I took the money I got from returning them and bought a (lightly) used pair of Simms Freestones, which were waaaay more comfortable, and took about 3 years to develop a leak. I buy most of my gear used, and depending on your size (if you’re a common size or not) it may be worth it to keep an eye out for a used pair. Also, I have a pair of Bare neoprenes in excellent condition, if they happen to fit, and you were interested, I would part with them for a VERY reasonable price.
Good luck on the search!!

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2019, 08:53:12 PM »

Oh yeah? Would you rather catch one 6 lb. coho, or ten 5 lb. cohos? Would you rather head out on a trip over the Coq with 2 litres of high grade fuel, or 100 litres of regular grade fuel? A weekend in the woods with 1 GREAT beer? Or with 12 GOOD beers? I think you get my point lol.
At some point the math just doesn’t work. Are you saying you would pay $5000 for a pair of G4s? $10,000? At some point it just doesn’t make sense, but people tell themselves that it does to justify their fancy purchases.

I believe Simms now makes a pretty cheap pair of waders, in the $250 range, could be worth a look. I owned a pair a Frogg Toggs, they fit OK, and leaked in less than a year. I took the money I got from returning them and bought a (lightly) used pair of Simms Freestones, which were waaaay more comfortable, and took about 3 years to develop a leak. I buy most of my gear used, and depending on your size (if you’re a common size or not) it may be worth it to keep an eye out for a used pair. Also, I have a pair of Bare neoprenes in excellent condition, if they happen to fit, and you were interested, I would part with them for a VERY reasonable price.
Good luck on the search!!

You're waaaaaaaaaay off base man. 6 pound Coho vs 5 pound Coho ? I dont get your point.

And for the record ......... quality always trumps quantity. Every single damn mother trucking day !

BTW your analogies dont line up to what is being discussed here

And yes I would trade 12 crappy Molson Canadians or Budweiser for one tasty craft IPA. Any day of the week.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 08:56:06 PM by Hike_and_fish »