Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: beads, BEADS BEADS. Help please for a newb. For vedder/squamish  (Read 16982 times)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: beads, BEADS BEADS. Help please for a newb. For vedder/squamish
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2020, 10:50:08 PM »

Is it just me or are these all rather large? I'm new to beading as well - last weekend I was floating roe for coho on the Skagit (because the border is closed so I have to fish WA rivers - ugh) and I got no bites.  A guy who was fishing from a drift boat right in front of me (that was near their limit for 3 guys) gave me a leader rigged up with a bead just like they were using with tiny split shot and a stopper 1.5 inches above the hook. I'm pretty sure it is 8mm, and it is a hard bead. I promptly got my 2 fish limit in an hour.  I had always been skeptical of beads, but I am slowing coming around.  I had thought that most fish were flossed on them, but from the take-downs I got, and the slow water they were hooked in, I am confident those were real hard strikes.

Those who float fish beads - how long of a leader do you use, and do you use any split shot on your leader?  If so, how do you keep the split shot from sliding down to the bead?

I use weight on my mainline only. Just an 18" leader. Thats it. For salmon I find a smaller bead works the best. Later in the year around Jan or Feb you can tarelget steel with a 14mm bead.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2020, 08:15:48 PM »

All Never Quit beads

20200919-201312" border="0

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2020, 09:08:57 PM »

another company i like is steelybeads. some really cool patterns.

https://www.steelybeads.com/

essyoo

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2020, 09:44:52 AM »

@Hike_and_fish if you had to pick your top three colours/sizes for salmon what would they be? How has NQ's shipping been lately coming from the US? I'm going to put an order in for sure.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2020, 03:46:14 PM »

@Hike_and_fish if you had to pick your top three colours/sizes for salmon what would they be? How has NQ's shipping been lately coming from the US? I'm going to put an order in for sure.

I can not comment on what works for salmon because I don't use beads for salmon. Only Steelhead, char and trout. As for shipping, I can say 100% that everything has come within 1 week. Always !Todd is on point with shipping. I wish I could say the same for Cleardrift because they were by far hands down WORST for shipping time. Sometimes my orders with Cleardrift came months after ordering. Never Quit beads came within a week. Ive made three orders with him over the past year and they have arrived on time every time. The last order was just a few weeks ago during this pandemic and they still arrived in one week.

I will add that for anyone who is stuck on hard beads, try the soft beads. Ive found that the fish hold on to them jist a little bit longer than hard beads.

Dubs604

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2020, 10:18:27 PM »

First year with soft beads. Do you use scents?  Would you suggest running the beads from my drift setup (similar to roe or jigs), or should I run it from a lighter spinning rod with a light float indicator?  I’ll probably do some trial and error, but any tips would be appreciated.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2020, 11:35:38 PM »

I will add that for anyone who is stuck on hard beads, try the soft beads. Ive found that the fish hold on to them jist a little bit longer than hard beads.

The cleardrift soft beads have an unpleasant plastic odour. How is the Never quit bead?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2020, 05:24:43 PM »

First year with soft beads. Do you use scents?  Would you suggest running the beads from my drift setup (similar to roe or jigs), or should I run it from a lighter spinning rod with a light float indicator?  I’ll probably do some trial and error, but any tips would be appreciated.

No to scents, yes pretty well all soft beads have an odor but I've never had an issue. Ill often pre-rig a bunch and leave to air dry for a few days then tie all my pre ties to a pool noodle. I run my bead on 4 setups. Baitcaster, centerpin, small spinning setup ( if im beading for trout ) and on occasions a fly rod. I use a 20g float. Fishing a soft bead it's the same as with roe. No different

randya

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2020, 10:24:29 AM »

Just ordered soft beads from Bnr tackle and T-stops were included. Ordered on Monday afternoon and they were in mailbox Tuesday AM. They were possibly in mailbox Monday as I did not check.
This was sent by USPS.
Basically one week for delivery.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2020, 12:12:26 PM »

Just ordered soft beads from Bnr tackle and T-stops were included. Ordered on Monday afternoon and they were in mailbox Tuesday AM. They were possibly in mailbox Monday as I did not check.
This was sent by USPS.
This was sent by USPS.

this one? the beads look big...  https://www.bnrtackle.com/product/pro-pack-slammin-salmon/

oh and i noticed something called a doggin' kit...i've never seen that used on local rivers...ineffective?

https://www.bnrtackle.com/product/bobber-doggin-pack/

randya

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2020, 02:38:19 PM »

I ordered them in various sizes from 8mm to 14 as well as the 10mm stink eye version.
You can order any size from 8mm to32mm and pick what colours you like. I ordered 2 pro packs and Few stink eye versions
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 02:42:41 PM by randya »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2020, 06:46:53 PM »

I ordered them in various sizes from 8mm to 14 as well as the 10mm stink eye version.
You can order any size from 8mm to32mm and pick what colours you like. I ordered 2 pro packs and Few stink eye versions

thanks. I looked up some their vids -and all i can say is "wow". They have skills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Njh4GPT1oo&feature=emb_title

cabro

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2020, 01:12:04 PM »

Anyone know if there is a way to reuse the BNR T-Stops or are they pretty much one use only once you've put them on your leader?

If I want to try out various coloured beads through out the day and the only way I can see of getting more than one use out of a T-Stop is to make my leader a little longer than normal so that I can cut it off at my swivel, swap out the bead and re-tie to the swivel.

I guess the other option is to tie up a bunch of different colours beforehand with swivels and just attach to my mainline with a snap swivel. At least they could be reused multiple times until the line is worn out.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2020, 04:13:19 PM »

Anyone know if there is a way to reuse the BNR T-Stops or are they pretty much one use only once you've put them on your leader?

If I want to try out various coloured beads through out the day and the only way I can see of getting more than one use out of a T-Stop is to make my leader a little longer than normal so that I can cut it off at my swivel, swap out the bead and re-tie to the swivel.

I guess the other option is to tie up a bunch of different colours beforehand with swivels and just attach to my mainline with a snap swivel. At least they could be reused multiple times until the line is worn out.

I just ordered some soft beads today, and their website suggests using the T-Stop with the T on top, so you can slip the soft bead over your hook and change out to a different color that way.  I haven't tried it yet. 

Also an idea similar to the video that was linked earlier in this thread - I think - what if you slide the T-stop up the old leader, clip off your hook, tie a loop below the T-stop, slip the end of the new leader in the loop, then pull the T-stop down onto the new leader?  Haven't tried it so I don't know how well it will hold up.

cabro

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2020, 06:04:48 PM »

I just ordered some soft beads today, and their website suggests using the T-Stop with the T on top, so you can slip the soft bead over your hook and change out to a different color that way.  I haven't tried it yet. 

Also an idea similar to the video that was linked earlier in this thread - I think - what if you slide the T-stop up the old leader, clip off your hook, tie a loop below the T-stop, slip the end of the new leader in the loop, then pull the T-stop down onto the new leader?  Haven't tried it so I don't know how well it will hold up.

Thanks for the tips, haven't tried either of those either. Will give them both a try next time out and report back.