Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Walleye!  (Read 2686 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Walleye!
« on: September 30, 2020, 08:36:12 AM »

Dogbreath

Re: Walleye!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 07:10:40 PM »

'Like!'  8)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 11:06:06 AM »

Great to see you doing catch and cook video. It looks to be a fine coating instead of chunky types.  What brand of coating you used? I am looking for fine coatings that can be bought from supermarkets. Any suggestions?

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 11:48:42 AM »

Great to see you doing catch and cook video. It looks to be a fine coating instead of chunky types.  What brand of coating you used? I am looking for fine coatings that can be bought from supermarkets. Any suggestions?

panko. and if you what it finer just put the panko in a blender a few secs...also best deal in town for panko is the 1.36kg box size at costco. $7 and in stay fresh zip bags...

i like to put my fish in a plastic bag...add seasonings/soy/mustard...mix it up...then add a some white flour...that'll make it sticky....now add a tiny bit of milk....makes it even more sticky lol...  and now add some panko...shake it/massage it with your fish and it'll coat nice....

add to a med heat pan with oil....

a great alternative to those heavy batters...

And panko is way better then breadrumbs because they are not baked  - they are electrocuted. Seriously...amazing history about the panko origin in the vid below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-hKc2QhJzc

ps..works great with onion rings too

« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 12:26:49 PM by dennisK »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 12:24:43 PM »

I grew up fishing for walleye on the Great Lakes. To pan fry the fillets, the coating was simply Premium Plus crackers (the square ones commonly used for soup). Crush the crackers in a bag or a blender. Dip the fillets in a milk/egg wash, coat in cracker crumbs using the bag, and pan fry.

With a quick homemade tartar sauce of mayo and relish on the side, it was the bomb.

My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 05:54:45 PM »

Never caught a walleye but I have had it in restaurants - mostly back east. I have also saw both fillets and whole fish in Toronto fish markets. The fish is among the most delicious white fleshed fish I have had and rivals halibut. I was also able to have commercially caught Lake Whitefish a few years ago. Also unique and unlike our Rocky Mountain whitefish. It has a sort of slightly sweet flavor.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 09:48:53 PM »

I grew up fishing for walleye on the Great Lakes. To pan fry the fillets, the coating was simply Premium Plus crackers (the square ones commonly used for soup). Crush the crackers in a bag or a blender. Dip the fillets in a milk/egg wash, coat in cracker crumbs using the bag, and pan fry.

With a quick homemade tartar sauce of mayo and relish on the side, it was the bomb.

My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

You forgot the main ingredient, bottle of Labatt Blue!  just sayin!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 09:57:17 PM by greyghost »
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Animal Chin

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 03:45:36 PM »

Love walleye/pickerel, whatever it is they have in Manitoba/Ontario. It's probably my favorite fish to eat.