Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: beads, BEADS BEADS. Help please for a newb. For vedder/squamish  (Read 16730 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: beads, BEADS BEADS. Help please for a newb. For vedder/squamish
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2019, 01:40:30 PM »

Are these beads much different to fishing Jenson eggs?
I’ve only been beading a couple of years so I don’t purport to be an expert with the technique.

Typically, Jensen eggs are fished at the hook which can result in deep hooking as the fish engulfs the egg and the hook along with it.

Typically, in beading, the bead is pegged on the leader approx 1.5” above the hook. The fish takes the bead and the trailing hook is set into the underside of the fish’s jaw. I have started my beading career with my flyrod and an indicator. No doubt my technique will evolve the more I get comfortable and familiar with it. I found several videos on YouTube that were helpful as I prepared to try it for the first time.

Spoiler,
How do you peg the beads 1.5" above the hook?
Others have good suggestions. For me, a piece of toothpick works fine.

santefe

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2019, 03:32:10 PM »

Spoiler,
Thanks, I've never thought of nor seen anyone putting a bead above a hook like that.
Will have to give it a try.
My usual is 1 or 2 jensen eggs and a bit of wool.

psd1179

• Old Timer

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2019, 09:23:30 PM »

This handsome ct  from last winter was my first beaded fish. It was a rewarding catch, particularly since I had done a bit of learning about the beading technique prior and it all came together on my first outing.

Notice how the hook is in the underside of the jaw, not inside the mouth.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2020, 09:59:03 AM »

A quick tip for pegs...go to the dollar store and look for silicone basting brushes. Look for clear or any hot colours. Way more economical than shop bought options.

thanks but how do you insert the soft silicon brush bristle into a soft bead? normally you use a needle to get the soft bead onto the leader..sooo?

here's a video of how i do it...where does the silicone peg come into play?

https://youtu.be/A6-ZGH0XB3I?t=86

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2020, 05:16:21 PM »

thanks but how do you insert the soft silicon brush bristle into a soft bead? normally you use a needle to get the soft bead onto the leader..sooo?

here's a video of how i do it...where does the silicone peg come into play?

https://youtu.be/A6-ZGH0XB3I?t=86

Order some T-Stops from BnR tackle. They are by far the BEST way to peg a soft bead on the line. Even when you miss a bite, the bead will NEVER slide down on to the hook. Save your beads, save money and buy the T-Stops.

Also, I recommend to anyone to try the NeverQuit soft beads. They are by far the best beads on the market today. Extremely realistic. I know Hatch Matcher will be stocking up with these beads very soon.

https://neverquitfishing.com/collections/frontpage/products/nq-soft-beads-9mm?variant=32656011493461
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 05:18:30 PM by Hike_and_fish »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2020, 07:43:32 PM »

thank you!

lapa

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2020, 06:22:02 AM »

Order some T-Stops from BnR tackle. They are by far the BEST way to peg a soft bead on the line. Even when you miss a bite, the bead will NEVER slide down on to the hook. Save your beads, save money and buy the T-Stops.

Also, I recommend to anyone to try the NeverQuit soft beads. They are by far the best beads on the market today. Extremely realistic. I know Hatch Matcher will be stocking up with these beads very soon.

https://neverquitfishing.com/collections/frontpage/products/nq-soft-beads-9mm?variant=32656011493461

They are on Amazon now. You can get them by Sunday
https://www.amazon.ca/BNR-Tackle-pack-Artificial-Fishing/dp/B01N2BAW9H/ref=sr_1_3?crid=18PZPRPZGHLCT&dchild=1&keywords=bnr+tackle&qid=1600435148&sprefix=bnr%2Caps%2C223&sr=8-3
Very good quality and easy to use.

essyoo

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2020, 10:26:41 AM »

I really like the work NQ does on their soft plastics but I haven't seen them locally yet (just follow them on instagram haha). Anyone know if Hatch Match'r has them in stock yet? Anyone tried the clusters? They look great but I have no idea how effective they'd be vs actual roe.

I'm new to beads this year and have only tried them a few times with no results, but I'm hoping they work as I love the format and the lack of replacing bait.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2020, 10:45:47 AM »

https://www.amazon.ca/BNR-Tackle-pack-Artificial-Fishing/dp/B01N2BAW9H/ref=sr_1_3?crid=18PZPRPZGHLCT&dchild=1&keywords=bnr+tackle&qid=1600435148&sprefix=bnr%2Caps%2C223&sr=8-3

Is it just me or are these all rather large? I'm new to beading as well - last weekend I was floating roe for coho on the Skagit (because the border is closed so I have to fish WA rivers - ugh) and I got no bites.  A guy who was fishing from a drift boat right in front of me (that was near their limit for 3 guys) gave me a leader rigged up with a bead just like they were using with tiny split shot and a stopper 1.5 inches above the hook. I'm pretty sure it is 8mm, and it is a hard bead. I promptly got my 2 fish limit in an hour.  I had always been skeptical of beads, but I am slowing coming around.  I had thought that most fish were flossed on them, but from the take-downs I got, and the slow water they were hooked in, I am confident those were real hard strikes.

Those who float fish beads - how long of a leader do you use, and do you use any split shot on your leader?  If so, how do you keep the split shot from sliding down to the bead?

Barbelface

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2020, 11:05:26 AM »

I use split shot spaced "shirt button" style with incrementally smaller lead going to the hook. Its a technique I learned fishing the big rivers in UK. You get a nice wafting presentation in light currents but the heavier split shot keep the bait from floating up too much above mid depth.

I use small split shot ranging from #4 to #10 (tiny for my eyes these days). I stock up every time I'm in a UK tackle shop :)

redside1

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2020, 01:13:50 PM »

Any local tackle shop in BC can bring in BNR tackle products. I know that a local tackle distributor carries them in stock. One just needs to ask their favorite store to bring them in

lapa

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2020, 07:06:34 PM »

Is it just me or are these all rather large? I'm new to beading as well - last weekend I was floating roe for coho on the Skagit (because the border is closed so I have to fish WA rivers - ugh) and I got no bites.  A guy who was fishing from a drift boat right in front of me (that was near their limit for 3 guys) gave me a leader rigged up with a bead just like they were using with tiny split shot and a stopper 1.5 inches above the hook. I'm pretty sure it is 8mm, and it is a hard bead. I promptly got my 2 fish limit in an hour.  I had always been skeptical of beads, but I am slowing coming around.  I had thought that most fish were flossed on them, but from the take-downs I got, and the slow water they were hooked in, I am confident those were real hard strikes.

Those who float fish beads - how long of a leader do you use, and do you use any split shot on your leader?  If so, how do you keep the split shot from sliding down to the bead?

Pro pack has 3 different sizes for each color. They are just fine :)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2020, 10:46:03 PM »

I really like the work NQ does on their soft plastics but I haven't seen them locally yet (just follow them on instagram haha). Anyone know if Hatch Match'r has them in stock yet? Anyone tried the clusters? They look great but I have no idea how effective they'd be vs actual roe.

I'm new to beads this year and have only tried them a few times with no results, but I'm hoping they work as I love the format and the lack of replacing bait.

I have an entire Plano case full of NQ beads and a few Prawn tail plastics. I can tell you with 100% certainty the craftsmanship is superior to any soft bead on the market today. Period ! The embryo beads literally have a bead within a bead giving them the most realistic looking embryo bead out there. I wish i could show you my box. I jave not tried the clusters but guys say they work fine too. I ended up ordering everything directly from Todd and his website. Honestly he's a great person and if you place a big order your package will most likely come with goodies that you never placed in your cart. I stand by this product 100%

I'll try and take a picture of my NQ box and post it here

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2020, 10:47:41 PM »

Any local tackle shop in BC can bring in BNR tackle products. I know that a local tackle distributor carries them in stock. One just needs to ask their favorite store to bring them in

I know Freds and Chilliwack Dart and Tackle carries them. BnR products are a clear #2 for me. I love how their beads ( and worms ) are molded with hols in them already. They make it super simple. No needle required