Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: beads, BEADS BEADS. Help please for a newb. For vedder/squamish  (Read 16713 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
beads, BEADS BEADS. Help please for a newb. For vedder/squamish
« on: November 08, 2019, 07:53:05 PM »

Hey all

So I've noticed a few fellow fishermen on the river using beads. I'm a newb to them. Strictly wool and jigs up to now.

So in a quick question - what are good colours and sizes of beads for coho to springs? is the UV style of bead worth it..or trendy? soft beads or hard beads? should i rig it with some wool as well?

I'd appreciate any tips as well as where to buy?

thank you...

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: beads, BEADS BEADS. Help please for a newb. For vedder/squamish
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 10:00:11 AM »

UV ? I will only use a UV or glow bead during cloudy/low light conditions ( sometimes ). I like soft beads BUT you'll rip thru them much faster than hard beads. If the fish takes the soft bead but you miss the set the bead will often rip down the line and past the eye of the hook and itll never be the same again. I prefer soft beads because the fish ( in my opinion) hold on to it for a split second longer than a traditional hard bead. Wool ? Again, on low light days and poor vis but I personally never use wool anymore, I find I have hookups with and without.

My new favorite soft beads are from BNR tackle. They are made with a hole down the middle of the bead so no need for a needle. BNR tackle also has these new beadstops. It's like a traditional bobber stop but it has a flat bottom to protect the bead from the eye of the hook. My Cleardrift beads I'll use a bobber stop to hold it on the line but I've gotta say the BNR setup is amazing. If I'm targeting whitefish or Cutthroat I'll use an 8mm bead. Bull trout and Steelhead ill use a 10mm bead and poor vis ill use 12 to 14 mm.

I'll order from Cleardrift website and BNR Tackle website. I've found Cleardrift to take a month or more to deliver. BNR Tackle ( shipping from Oregon ) comes within 4 day. BNR is super fast. I'll always order straight from the manufacturer if I can this way I can get exactly what I want and not settle for the scraps at a tackle shop.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 10:05:11 AM by Hike_and_fish »

spoiler

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 04:17:05 PM »

Hi Dennis,
 I have been using beads since 2007 starting with trout and now using them for all river species.
Especially Steelhead. a few years back I landed 67 steelhead one season and had about a 50% hook and land ratio that year.
I would say that 90% of those fish were hooked on bead and the rest on Colorado's.
For steelhead I use a 10mm size bead. for Trout I use a 6 or 8mm bead depending on what salmon are spawning.
if it's Sockeye then 6mm. Chinook and Chum use 8mm.
as far as color goes it's a matter of "matching the hatch".
At the beginning of the season I like to use a color the looks like a freshly spawned egg.
later on I use something that looks washed out.
most important issue with beads is to peg them 1.5 inches above your hook.
if you are not getting any bites check your bead and make sure it's 1.5 inches above the hook.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 07:46:53 PM »

thanks so much guys!

spoiler

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 01:55:08 PM »

Dennis,
I'm not sure whether that's your box of bead in the picture but in my choices would be bottom left square, bottom right square, bottom second over from the right and second down front the top right (colored water choice)

santefe

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 01:58:13 PM »

Spoiler,
How do you peg the beads 1.5" above the hook?

prairiefire

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 04:12:07 PM »

Spoiler,
How do you peg the beads 1.5" above the hook?

Check out trout beads or creek candy beads for videos on how to do it. As well as beads to purchase. Steelhead beads as well.

A quick tip for pegs...go to the dollar store and look for silicone basting brushes. Look for clear or any hot colours. Way more economical than shop bought options.

Fred's has quite the selection in Abbotsford. I've bought most from there, Sea Run and Pacific Angler.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 04:31:51 PM by prairiefire »
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 04:54:55 PM »

Check out trout beads or creek candy beads for videos on how to do it. As well as beads to purchase. Steelhead beads as well.

A quick tip for pegs...go to the dollar store and look for silicone basting brushes. Look for clear or any hot colours. Way more economical than shop bought options.

Fred's has quite the selection in Abbotsford. I've bought most from there, Sea Run and Pacific Angler.

Regarding pegs, I use a rubber band, loop the leader and drag the rubber band through the hole. 2000% better than any pegs in the market. Cost nothing

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 06:25:47 PM »

You don't need to mess around with pegs, rubber bands etc. Just loop your line through the bead twice and Voila

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 07:30:04 PM »

You don't need to mess around with pegs, rubber bands etc. Just loop your line through the bead twice and Voila

twice is not enough, three times is fine. but the bead will still slide. After a few adjustment, the leader will be coil or damaged. Meanwhile, if there is a snag or bigger fish, the leader might break the bead or the bead will damage the leader.

but you can spend a similar peg time to tie the bead again.

96XJ

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 08:19:05 PM »

twice is not enough, three times is fine. but the bead will still slide. After a few adjustment, the leader will be coil or damaged. Meanwhile, if there is a snag or bigger fish, the leader might break the bead or the bead will damage the leader.

but you can spend a similar peg time to tie the bead again.

I use the loop around the bead twice method as well , never had a bead or leader break due to the loop

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 07:20:51 AM »

I'm telling ya soft beads will land more fish. Check out these T Stops from BNR. They are awesome https://bnrtackle.com/product/soft-bead-t-stops-40-pack/

I stopped using hard beads 2 seasons ago. You'll have waaaaay more hookups with softs

blueback

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2019, 09:25:17 AM »

Are these beads much different to fishing Jenson eggs?

samw

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2019, 10:28:33 AM »

Are these beads much different to fishing Jenson eggs?

OP can't use Jenson eggs on Squamish River due to bait ban.  That's one advantage of bead vs Jenson egg.

EDIT:  I guess he can opt to use unscented Jenson eggs.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 10:31:54 AM by samw »

spoiler

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2019, 01:35:40 PM »

santé fe,
before they made trout peggs which are a tapered piece of rubber I always used round wooden toothpicks
just thread the bead on your leader and jam the trout pegg or toothpick into the hole on your bead to snug it up.
the beauty of using this system is that it allows you to make adjustments to the position of your bead relative to your hook.
although I said "peg the bead 1.5 inches above the hook" there are times where I'll fish it anywhere from 2 inches to 1 inch above the hook depending upon conditions.