Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River Coho  (Read 23892 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Stave River Coho
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2019, 07:24:59 AM »

I've had some very enjoyable days on the Stave, like 30 years ago.

Maybe with the closure on chum it will be half decent to fish once again.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

stsfisher

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2019, 09:58:02 AM »

I've had some very enjoyable days on the Stave, like 30 years ago.

Maybe with the closure on chum it will be half decent to fish once again.

This will have to go down as a milestone statement, as I believe it is the first time we have agreed on anything.  :)
"Ralph I could not agree more". Many years ago when Chum where looked at as a nuisance that fishery was very enjoyable which I remember well. Not 30 years ago for me, but closer to 25 for sure.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2019, 10:19:50 AM »

I have had many, many good days on the Stave targeting both Chum and Coho (not at the same time).
It helps if you take the effort to get away from the crowds. You will find similar-minded fishers who would be very happy to never snag a fish.

stsfisher

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2019, 10:42:27 AM »

It helps if you take the effort to get away from the crowds..

Absolutely, the efforts I made to get away from the crowds, IE. not fishing the river anymore made for much more enjoyable days on the  water.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2019, 11:01:26 AM »

Absolutely, the efforts I made to get away from the crowds, IE. not fishing the river anymore made for much more enjoyable days on the  water.
I meant "on the Stave".

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2019, 11:05:02 AM »

I have had many, many good days on the Stave targeting both Chum and Coho (not at the same time).
It helps if you take the effort to get away from the crowds. You will find similar-minded fishers who would be very happy to never snag a fish.
I've had some pretty good steelhead days on the Stave but that too was quite a while ago.

stsfisher

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2019, 11:23:30 AM »

I meant "on the Stave".
yes i know.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2019, 04:12:57 PM »

Off topic but I gotta say, the Nic has been EXTREMELY busy this year. It's gone from a local flow to a destination fishery. Theres probably over 60 guys from the launch to the bridge every day. It wasnt lile that last year or the year prior. Everyone I talk to is from Surrey, PoCo, Burnaby or Laangley. The odd guy from Mission. I had a group of 5 setup shop 5 feet from me yesterday casting over me. This used to be a quiet place to take the kids. Not anymore.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2019, 04:34:19 PM »

Off topic but I gotta say, the Nic has been EXTREMELY busy this year. It's gone from a local flow to a destination fishery. Theres probably over 60 guys from the launch to the bridge every day. It wasnt lile that last year or the year prior. Everyone I talk to is from Surrey, PoCo, Burnaby or Laangley. The odd guy from Mission. I had a group of 5 setup shop 5 feet from me yesterday casting over me. This used to be a quiet place to take the kids. Not anymore.

hardly any places left to fish, not more people just fewer spots.  Lots of the South side folks would be fishing the fraser if they could
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 04:39:14 PM by wildmanyeah »

wooly bugger

« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2019, 05:32:16 PM »

Aaaaaand back to the topic of Stave coho :D

Was on the east side yesterday afternoon, thinking the coho which weren't there 2 weeks ago would've finally showed up by now

It was absolutely dead.  No observable activity from any chum, let alone coho... just the odd mouldy chum swimming around.  Tried the boat launch area as it looked like coho water and the main flow just outside the boat launch bay.  It was super quiet with the exception of a few tiny splashes from resident trout.

I did see one fellow carrying off what looked like a coho, but he was walking back from that shallow area just downstream from the launch bay.... I think that area is the spawning channel and is off-limits?  I wish there were signs....

Kinda sad to see the Stave in this state after many a successful trip in years long ago.

bunnta

« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2019, 05:52:06 PM »

The spawning channel is right at the boat launch ramp. You will see a small bridge with metal fences that crosses to the boat ramp, the creek flowing above it. From that bridge up is the spawning channel. I'm pretty sure anywhere below it is okay to fish.

jacked55

« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2019, 09:11:11 PM »

A buddy of mine was saying that he thought he had heard that when they started the dam project at the Stave around 4 years ago they cut the hatchery program. If that's true the cycle would fit for a horrible return this year. I don't know if these facts are accurate though, anyone else have some intel?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2019, 05:34:17 AM »

A buddy of mine was saying that he thought he had heard that when they started the dam project at the Stave around 4 years ago they cut the hatchery program. If that's true the cycle would fit for a horrible return this year. I don't know if these facts are accurate though, anyone else have some intel?

Inch creek hatchery has had the same two tanks labeled "Stave River Coho" for as long as I can remeber. I was there a few days ago and the label stays the same. I assume they are destined for the Stave

wooly bugger

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2019, 10:09:41 AM »

The spawning channel is right at the boat launch ramp. You will see a small bridge with metal fences that crosses to the boat ramp, the creek flowing above it. From that bridge up is the spawning channel. I'm pretty sure anywhere below it is okay to fish.

Good to know.  Thx bunnta

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2019, 11:41:56 AM »

Chum spawn just about everywhere in the Stave. That little channel by the parking lot and just to the left of of the toilet bowl was put in there for salmon viewing, not for fishing.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.