Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River Coho  (Read 23868 times)

bigsnag

• Old Timer
Re: Stave River Coho
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2019, 02:58:17 PM »

I will tell the truth, there are snaggers of every nationality on the Stave.
But people change, remember those snaggers on the west side of the canal? There is only one left the last time I saw. The rest have either stopped or turned into sport fishers.
Hopefully given another 10 years these snaggers may also change.......but don't count on it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 01:59:13 PM by bigsnag »
It ain't the roe bro'

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2019, 03:36:52 PM »

They do it every year because they dont get caught. Nobody enforces the rules.

Adamski76

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2019, 03:54:03 PM »

And maybe they simply just need to be educated about the right way to fish. A little show and tell wouldn’t hurt anyone and will go a long way. My dad showed someone last year and the next time he ran in to that person he was fishing the right way.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2019, 05:57:45 PM »

And maybe they simply just need to be educated about the right way to fish. A little show and tell wouldn’t hurt anyone and will go a long way. My dad showed someone last year and the next time he ran in to that person he was fishing the right way.
Where is the "like" button?
It ain't the roe bro'

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2019, 05:59:42 PM »

We need more "Rodney".
It ain't the roe bro'

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2019, 09:13:12 PM »

You think it's that easy ? Then go and hold a lesson for all those folks snagging Chum. I did once and got a knife pulled on me by an old Korean man. Some people just dont want to listen.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2019, 09:52:44 PM »

You think it's that easy ? Then go and hold a lesson for all those folks snagging Chum. I did once and got a knife pulled on me by an old Korean man. Some people just dont want to listen.

Talk and show is nothing. We were fishing a run for coho, then a philipino guy walked in, launched the bobber like a rocket, drifted 200 yard and torpido retrieved the bobber. I gentally told him if he could slow down the retrieve, we could catch more fish. He told me to shut up. he said it did not matter he could catch fish anyway.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2019, 10:27:55 PM »

I will tell the truth, the majority of snaggers on the Stave are Chinese.
But people change, remember those Vietnamese snaggers on the west side of the canal? There is only one left the last time I saw. The rest have either stopped or turned into sport fishers.
Hopegully gven another 10 years these snaggers may also change.......but don't count on it.
The snaggers I see are Russian or a country around there. A guide brings them in and drops them off, then comes back later to pick them up.

ninez

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2019, 11:54:22 AM »

NVM
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 12:10:56 PM by ninez »

Adamski76

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2019, 04:13:02 PM »

Russian, Korean, Chinese...they all had to learn from someone or observed someone. Wonder if you all ever fished for sockeye? Isn’t that a form off snagging? Every 5th person on  any river no matter their nationality(even Canadians) is not fishing ethically...just lead by example and educate those who are willing to listen and lear.

Adamski76

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2019, 04:24:19 PM »

It’s not what you say it’s how you say it. Remember aggressive behaviour brings out aggression.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2019, 04:34:43 PM »

It’s not what you say it’s how you say it. Remember aggressive behaviour brings out aggression.

You are right !

I think back to the moment a knife was pulled on me. I was very calm. I tried my best. Some people just dont want to listen.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2019, 09:59:47 PM »

I know what it feels like to be on the receiving end of an angry fellow angler who believed me to be harming fish, a couple of weeks ago.

In the pre-dawn hours I thought there was plenty of room to step in between two guys after having said good morning to one of them. They didn't think so, so I moved upstream. Fair enough, and no doubt that led to the interaction later.

I was trying to beach a foul hooked coho; getting it in quickly so it didn't spook the hole and getting it to the water's edge where I could pop the hook. With my rod bent over and the fish lying half in the water, half out, one of the pair stepped over but his motives were to deliver a message, not be helpful. His words went something like this "It's wild and snagged so you are going to have to release it. You are such a googan. You are wearing waders, get in the water and release the fish. It's not fecking sockeye season"  and he then handed me back an empty line with no jig attached.

Now this pair took great care in landing each fish in the water with a net. I respect that. No doubt we got off on the wrong foot earlier, and granted I could have kept the fish 100% in the water, not partly in the water. (In my experience, the fish surrenders easier and the release is quicker when it's partially beached rather than in the water. And the fish was laying still, not thrashing). I own my share of the encounter. However, if I was a googan, the verbal tirade and "small b" bullying doesn't educate, it just intimidates. And perhaps that was the intent. 

No doubt his response to me came from a place of love/respect for the fish. Also no doubt how buddy responded to me during our conflict is how he responds in the rest of his life to conflict.  I'm just glad he didn't have a knife!

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2019, 10:28:27 PM »

I know what it feels like to be on the receiving end of an angry fellow angler who believed me to be harming fish, a couple of weeks ago.

In the pre-dawn hours I thought there was plenty of room to step in between two guys after having said good morning to one of them. They didn't think so, so I moved upstream. Fair enough, and no doubt that led to the interaction later.

I was trying to beach a foul hooked coho; getting it in quickly so it didn't spook the hole and getting it to the water's edge where I could pop the hook. With my rod bent over and the fish lying half in the water, half out, one of the pair stepped over but his motives were to deliver a message, not be helpful. His words went something like this "It's wild and snagged so you are going to have to release it. You are such a googan. You are wearing waders, get in the water and release the fish. It's not fecking sockeye season"  and he then handed me back an empty line with no jig attached.

Now this pair took great care in landing each fish in the water with a net. I respect that. No doubt we got off on the wrong foot earlier, and granted I could have kept the fish 100% in the water, not partly in the water. (In my experience, the fish surrenders easier and the release is quicker when it's partially beached rather than in the water. And the fish was laying still, not thrashing). I own my share of the encounter. However, if I was a googan, the verbal tirade and "small b" bullying doesn't educate, it just intimidates. And perhaps that was the intent. 

No doubt his response to me came from a place of love/respect for the fish. Also no doubt how buddy responded to me during our conflict is how he responds in the rest of his life to conflict.  I'm just glad he didn't have a knife!

He took your jig? amazing

243Pete

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2019, 10:37:26 PM »

I remember one guy telling me his reason for snagging was simply cause "It's easier and I don't have to buy roe." Yeah it can be but the ethics behind it would leave one to question the morality behind other life decisions cause if that is the rational then hmm....

Seen every type of snagger from the old guys with equipment from the same era they were born in to the guy wearing G4 zips, custom pin reel and rod and using a fairly pricey float.

Hike and Fish, that is just how some people are, they cannot take critism very well and don't want to listen. Luckily you didn't get hurt but as for those guys they will get what is coming to them eventually.

Clarki some people are just getting a bit fed up seeing some of the crap that has been done over the season such as myself. A fairly famous fly tier/ designer from here got me into a bit of an uproar this summer on the Squamish, dragging pinks up totally out of the water and on to rock bed just to do an even worse job at releasing them, him and his older friend got me quite in a furious state that I did open my mouth only one time to just "Please keep the fish in the water and not on the rocks." A good friend had to keep me calm a few times after that cause it wasn't as bad afterwards but watching a fish thrash on dry rocks has a way of setting me off but luckily I can keep a cool head at times but I will admit I do have my breaking limit and it was reached quite a few times. Landing a fish in water is still better than pulling them up onto dry land and in the case of a foul hooked fish it's pretty hard cause without a landing net it's a very hard feat to do so.
As for those guys that is a bit off center to take something that isn't theirs like a jig, and we all foul hook fish by accident once and a while. Can't say that this season I didn't do the same twitching jigs in certain spots on the river but these things happen. They should understand that one, you didn't have a net so it makes landing a fish a lot harder, two a foul hooked fish is a LOT harder to land than a properly hooked fish cause of control differences, three jumping at someone like that when it's an accident is like chest bumping someone who accidently rubbed shoulders while walking in a crowded mall and four taking something like that is just cruel and without due cause.