Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River Coho  (Read 23713 times)

Adamski76

Re: Stave River Coho
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2019, 11:20:21 AM »

Just starting to trickle in landed a beautiful hatchery yesterday but having trouble attaching a pic.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2019, 12:31:53 PM »

I'd be starting to worry about the Stave and Harrison Chum. Looks like 372 less fish caught in the test fishery this year compared to 2018 and they shut it down in 2018.

yeah its not looking good for chum this year,

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fos2_Internet/Testfish/rptdtfdparm.cfm?fsub_id=209 area 12 seine
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 08:10:52 AM by wildmanyeah »

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2019, 06:40:05 PM »

Gate opens at 9am and closes at 6:30pm.

great hours for a bank

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2019, 10:13:21 PM »

Gate opens at 9am and closes at 6:30pm.

Very useless.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2019, 09:02:09 AM »

Save your gas and stay home, unless you're there for a picnic  :D

blackskull

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2019, 12:01:49 PM »

Dropped by for a look at the east side on Sat. Not many fish around.  A few moldy chum, even saw a cherry coho. I also had to inform 3 separate people that they can't fish the spawning channel within the 30 mins I was there.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2019, 02:13:44 PM »

Dropped by for a look at the east side on Sat. Not many fish around.  A few moldy chum, even saw a cherry coho. I also had to inform 3 separate people that they can't fish the spawning channel within the 30 mins I was there.

I dont know why they just dont pump more Coho into the Nic and less into the Stave. It's far from the target species in the Stave. Also, Chim fishing is good between the islands. The east bank was dead today

essyoo

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2019, 05:03:44 PM »

Is it worth heading in there with a boat at all? Not super familiar with the Stave but the couple of times I've been it looked like there might be some value to reaching places you can't get just on foot?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2019, 07:00:53 PM »

Is it worth heading in there with a boat at all? Not super familiar with the Stave but the couple of times I've been it looked like there might be some value to reaching places you can't get just on foot?

Get to know the water first. Go slow. There are sunken logs between the island and the hwy.  It is worth going in with a boat. Just learn the water before you go full tilt. My 2cebts

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2019, 08:49:09 AM »

Very few fish biting yesterday. Lots of people congregated into the few spots where fish were surfacing.  A verbal fight broke out between 1 guy who looked a fish in the mouth while another who hooked it in the back.  The guy who hooked it in the back felt it belong to him and wouldn't let go. Fish escaped.  His reasoning was that fish belonged to him because he snagged it before the fish bit the other guys hook.

Very entertaining  :D

ShaunO

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2019, 11:09:37 AM »

Very few fish biting yesterday. Lots of people congregated into the few spots where fish were surfacing.  A verbal fight broke out between 1 guy who looked a fish in the mouth while another who hooked it in the back.  The guy who hooked it in the back felt it belong to him and wouldn't let go. Fish escaped.  His reasoning was that fish belonged to him because he snagged it before the fish bit the other guys hook.

Very entertaining  :D

I would have loved to have seen that.  I strolled both the east and west banks from top to bottom, and I would be curious to know which accents were involved.  GONGGGGGGGGGG!!!

ninez

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2019, 11:17:02 AM »

I would have loved to have seen that.  I strolled both the east and west banks from top to bottom, and I would be curious to know which accents were involved.  GONGGGGGGGGGG!!!

Accents?  So stereotyping

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2019, 11:32:05 AM »

Is a fish really going to start biting while being hooked in the tail?  ???

Fishawn

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2019, 11:50:44 AM »

Who cares. Not sure why that matters to you. What if it was 2 Canadian accents?

ShaunO

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2019, 01:41:04 PM »

Who cares. Not sure why that matters to you. What if it was 2 Canadian accents?

It doesn't.  But I'm still curious.

Oh yeah, the fish were very tight lipped yesterday and I got skunked short floating a handful of my most productive jigs in a few of my favourite spots.  The only fish I saw landed from shore were in the bottom end of a deep slot and it appeared long leaders and wool swept through were the key. It was a shame that they were teaching their kids to floss as a legit method to catching fish.  I couldn't tell which Canadian accent they had, but there was some faint Nova Scotian tossed in with some Prairies, but it was hard to pick up.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 02:41:04 PM by ShaunO »