Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2019 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 160661 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Haven't fished the vedder in ages but I used start at lower wilson and work up or down from there. I'm told that you can't park there anymore. Where's do you guys park then? At the rail and walk down, or below at the community centre?
We, the Fraser Valley Salmon Society met with the City of Chilliwack and Mayor ken Popove, last week and Nick brought up your and others concerns re this and other parking issue. We hope these talks will deal with this.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

We, the Fraser Valley Salmon Society met with the City of Chilliwack and Mayor ken Popove, last week and Nick brought up your and others concerns re this and other parking issue. We hope these talks will deal with this.
I give this a post a Like.  :)

bigsnag

• Old Timer
It ain't the roe bro'

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

X3. No excuse to stop parking on the dyke there in a prime lower river fishing location. Even jogger can use that river trail towards train bridge.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

River level hasn't changed since the rain yesterday and water clarity remains excellent.

Vancouver_2010

Question: how much roe is enough for a day's fishing? I've pro-cured two decently-sized coho skeins, so will that be enough for 1-2 guys? We almost always either fly fish or toss metal, so this is going to be a new experience.
Thanks in advance!

Will report on water conditions after tomorrow as well.

CohoJake

• Old Timer

Question: how much roe is enough for a day's fishing? I've pro-cured two decently-sized coho skeins, so will that be enough for 1-2 guys? We almost always either fly fish or toss metal, so this is going to be a new experience.
Thanks in advance!

Will report on water conditions after tomorrow as well.

If it holds up pretty well (is fairly firm), that should be enough for half a day if you are careful with it.  Adding some wool to your bait loop can help stretch it out (and add contrast).  I've caught plenty of fish when there was just an egg or 3 left in the skein on my hook.

I've also had mornings (in previous seasons) where the coho are constantly stealing the roe off my hook and proving very difficult to keep hooked - those times I burn through more roe.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

Seems like the Coho are in already seeing guys post limits of coho on social media.

tmac

Water was excellent today.  Caught a wild coho on a spoon and lost my second.  Quite a few people out but only about half hooked into fish. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Great water condition indeed, a little bump overnight and dropped nicely again. That's two first lights in a row with no float downs for me, while three hatchery coho were caught in the run but the results don't reflect the amount of effort, so not a high abundance of fish yet. Still lots of springs splashing about and pinks finning in the shallows.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Hope the river remains the same. Will be making my first trip to the Vedder on Friday. Fish beware !

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

Not a lot of action at the mouth today. I hooked one and saw two boats with fish on all morning. Extremely slow. The tides didnt really work in favor of the folks fishing out there this morning either.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Maple Leaf DNE refuses to go down on 4 trips but short trips as was spoiled fishing the T. for jacks, so many there. May have to change and fish with a spoon like Rod does.

At least got a nice DNE float this AM  that Buck chased down for me. Also found a $20 bill while piking up plucks, anyone lose it? :D lots of pinks finished their spwaning cycle now. The Master always says the CO fishing picks up when the pinks are spawning.

I will try the log dump tonight only 5 minutes away.lol

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Maple Leaf DNE refuses to go down on 4 trips but short trips as was spoiled fishing the T. for jacks, so many there. May have to change and fish with a spoon like Rod does.

At least got a nice DNE float this AM  that Buck chased down for me. Also found a $20 bill while piking up plucks, anyone lose it? :D lots of pinks finished their spwaning cycle now. The Master always says the CO fishing picks up when the pinks are spawning.

I will try the log dump tonight only 5 minutes away.lol

Been using the Auston Matthews float that I won. Like Auston Matthews it produces during the regular season but disappears in the playoffs. 0 for 4 so far. ;D

NothingToSnagAbout

Anybody dab their wool in nectar? Any success or is it just gimmicky? Seems like you get roe scent with way less mess